Michael Giacchino's Inside Out (2015)

Jay

Unlike Jason I dont have OCD. So I looked at it for 4 seconds. While he is still looking at it, has made a list of every dot in ever color and is developing a software program to try and decode the meaning of the dots.

He will not sleep tonight....

Mmmmh...more wholesome entertainment with cardboard american families. I know you can't do L. A. BLUES with these type of movies but i mean, come on. There must be more original settings to do stuff like this.

New clip with more score:

Nice!

This movie looks really good; And it might just be the counter-programming the summer needs amidst all the action flicks.

And this is surely looking like the Giacchino score that will be the best received for him in quite a while.

I've noticed that the "reviews" at both Film Music Media as well as Films On Wax almost always spend 90% of the review discussing outside things like the plot of the film, the composer's other works, the expectations the score had, and generic comments on the score as a whole, with only a very small portion actually discussing the specific music on the album they are reviewing. Just look at Charlie's review of Tadlow's Obsession for another example.

And I am 100% positive Kaya has heard the album, Krocs :)

Hey, I usually have one paragraph about film or plot! ;)

He might have heard it. But I would probably know if there promo was available. But then, he might have different sources of information. It is very likely.

Karol

I usually try to include my thoughts about specific tracks and album sequencing and runtime when I write reviews, but the point of FMM is to sort of keep it general.

And I can confirm that he has indeed heard the OST.

No, I don't think so. I'm really looking forward to writing about this one.

And yeah, Koray. Charlie prefers to do very broad general reviews, I try to focus on albums and their "main ingredients". Inky, whenever he gets some time, does.. Well... You know Inky. :)

Karol

I cannot wait to hear it, my expectations couldn't be higher after the clips from the film and the clips from the score!

Meanwhile I just get more and more lukewarm about Jurassic World, how odd.

His doing a sequel to a John Williams score. He's doomed, no matter what.

Karol

Anyone was doomed, indeed.

If he had done it in the early days, but now he has his own voice, and legitimately does not want to mimick another's

Still, I like what I hear, but I expected to be mindblowed, (maybe we havent heard the right track yet). But it seems the director wanted a restrained score overall.

I've noticed that the "reviews" at both Film Music Media as well as Films On Wax almost always spend 90% of the review discussing outside things like the plot of the film, the composer's other works, the expectations the score had, and generic comments on the score as a whole, with only a very small portion actually discussing the specific music on the album they are reviewing. Just look at Charlie's review of Tadlow's Obsession for another example.

I saw the film about two months ago and I have heard the album, but I do not have the sessions ;). The album presentation is a wonderful representation of the score and the narrative.

Can't wait to hear it myself!

~

Track list with times:

1 Bundle of Joy 2:48

2 Team Building 2:18

3 Nomanisone Island / National Movers 4:20

4 Overcoming Sadness 0:51

5 Free Skating 0:59

6 First Day of School 2:02

7 Riled Up 1:02

8 Goofball No Longer 1:11

9 Memory Lanes 1:22

10 The Forgetters 0:50

11 Chasing the Pink Elephant 1:55

12 Abstract Thought 1:47

13 Imagination Land 1:25

14 Down in the Dumps 1:47

15 Dream Productions 1:43

16 Dream a Little Nightmare 1:50

17 The Subconscious Basement 2:01

18 Escaping the Subconscious 2:09

19 We Can Still Stop Her 2:54

20 Tears of Joy 3:39

21 Rainbow Flyer 2:58

22 Chasing Down Sadness 1:45

23 Joy Turns to Sadness / A Growing Personality 7:49

24 The Joy of Credits 8:18

Total Length: 59:43

iTunes US: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/inside-out-original-motion/id996609113

Amazon US: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XWYP5NI/

Google Play US: https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=Btsx7ulmuuyuwhvzstt3dbkalkq

Mmmmh...more wholesome entertainment with cardboard american families. I know you can't do L. A. BLUES with these type of movies but i mean, come on. There must be more original settings to do stuff like this.

Don't judge the book by its cover. This is probably Pixar's most high-concept and daring movie so far. And it's superb.

Don't judge the book by its cover. This is probably Pixar's most high-concept and daring movie so far. And it's superb.

They probably feel they'd alientate the white American audience if they go to other setting, or maybe it didn't even occur to them.

I'm so totally not their target group it makes no difference at all. But still, can't movies like this, at least once in a while, at least pretend that there is a world beyond happy WASP families? RATATOUILLE is all but a faint memory by now.

I saw the film about two months ago and I have heard the album, but I do not have the sessions ;). The album presentation is a wonderful representation of the score and the narrative.

Are you the brother?

I'm so totally not their target group it makes no difference at all. But still, can't movies like this, at least once in a while, at least pretend that there is a world beyond happy WASP families? RATATOUILLE is all but a faint memory by now.

IMHO the film is on par with Ratatouille, it's maybe even better. And it's not because of representing some happy American family values. Inside Out is about human emotions and the struggle we all go through when we grow up and must learn that the world is not always a happy place. Maybe it's framed within a context that connects mostly with Western audiences, but imho what is at its heart is really universal. It's one of the most pedagogical films I've seen.

A great review croc! I can't wait to hear this one. :)

I can now rank four Giacchino scores of 2015:

1. Jupiter Ascending

2. Tomorrowland

3. Inside Out

4. Jurassic World

Although, 2 and 3 might switch places at some point.

All four contain stuff I like but JW is clearly the worst album.

Karol

I am aware of some of its shortcomings. But just take it wholesale anyway. It's a Giacchino score through and through and it's nice to see him writing in his own voice rather than trying (intentionally or not) to homage something else.

Karol

Amy Poehler intercepts a question for Pete Docter - pretty cool

And Pete's reply