Oscar Nominees 2015: Prediction, Best Original Score

Ludwig

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought The Imitation Game was the dullest. The themes seemed rather banal and lacking in character. ToE, on the other hand, didn't aspire to be theme-driven, and I found it's use of timbre and texture more interesting than Desplat's lacklustre themes. ToE made better use of music in the film, but as a pure listening experience, they may be somewhat equal. Then again, as I've said before, it's somewhat unjust to tear music away from the film and assess it on its own. But since we're all film music enthusiasts here (and we're spoiled rotten by the effectiveness of Williams' music on its own!), I can well understand why many do so.

Out of curiosity: what would you consider to be the finest score of 2014, Ludwig? Nominated or not.

Karol

I wish I knew many more scores from the year, but truly I don't. These five I know well now, and from that set, I would say Grand Budapest was the finest. It was a sheer delight, and had a range of emotions that the others did not (largely because of the films they accompanied). And that final battle cue showed Desplat's virtuosity in thematic transformation, complex harmony, and colorful orchestration. What more could one want?

Out of curiosity: what would you consider to be the finest score of 2014, Ludwig? Nominated or not.

Karol

I wish I knew many more scores from the year, but truly I don't. These five I know well now, and from that set, I would say Grand Budapest was the finest. It was a sheer delight, and had a range of emotions that the others did not (largely because of the films they accompanied). And that final battle cue showed Desplat's virtuosity in thematic transformation, complex harmony, and colorful orchestration. What more could one want?

I honestly thought you would pick Mr. Turner as a musically literate person Ludwig, since this is the most academic one of the 5. :)

By the way, I think this will be the first year I won't watch the oscars.

I don't know, it took me a lot of years to realise that it's mostly public relations and campaings and I lost my interest.

Especially after reading numerous anonymous interviews of Academy members and hearing stories, about how exactly they vote!

eg. a member didn't vote composers whose name he can't pronounce, another one had only seen one of the nominated animated films or voted the one his children liked, a costume designer voter dismissed and erased Amadeus entirely of all categories after she saw a zipper on a costume etc. etc.

Karol

I honestly thought you would pick Mr. Turner as a musically literate person Ludwig, since this is the most academic one of the 5.

How?

Karol

I honestly thought you would pick Mr. Turner as a musically literate person Ludwig, since this is the most academic one of the 5.

How?

How is it the most academic?

Well, can't really explain it right now..

The most obvious thing is that it is a highly demanding score from the listener (not to suggest of course that every demanding score is good) and it has a higher level of sophistication that I didn't find in the other scores (although i didn't listen to the complete scores but 10-20 minutes of each, except Interestellar which i saw the movie)

It may be harmonically the most unconventional and thus "demanding," but Interstellar strikes me as more "academically" interesting than any other nominee, even just going by its architecture and the very tight weave of thematic material, which offers more interest than the more typical thematic depth of, say, ToE.

It may be harmonically the most unconventional and thus "demanding," but Interstellar strikes me as more "academically" interesting than any other nominee, even just going by its architecture and the very tight weave of thematic material, which offers more interest than the more typical thematic depth of, say, ToE.

I wouldn't agree at all (on the academic character of Interstellar), but it doesn't matter..

It's a pretty good score. I liked it.

Karol

I did too. Just doesn't work too well on album. I would be quite satisfied with just the end credits piece.

Sure it does. If it didn't matter, there'd be no need for a discussion board about anything!

Tell me why you disagree.

I meant it doesn't matter to me that I disagree.. ;)

It's 5 a.m here and I'm going to bed.

Just quickly:

I have only listened to the score twice: in the film and in the album.

Apart from some moments here and there, it seemed to me like a pop-oriented music (melodically-harmonically) and as for the texture/orchestration, I surely find Mr. Turner's much more interesting musically.

The most obvious thing is that it is a highly demanding score from the listener (not to suggest of course that every demanding score is good) and it has a higher level of sophistication that I didn't find in the other scores (although i didn't listen to the complete scores but 10-20 minutes of each)

Come on!

Listen to the nominees again, I've changed my vote to Gary Yershon's MR. TURNER, the underdog of the lot. It's a witty, challenging and strangely moving work, and sounds like the kind of deeply personal and idiosyncratic chamber scores that composers like Alex North, Leonard Rosenman, Johnny Mandel and David Amram used to excel at. Very out of its time.

I like INTERSTELLAR, don't get me wrong, but the Spartan Day One material (what Ludwig identifies as the 'Love/Action theme') grates on me the same way the Mr. Turner theme does on TGP. It's that same warmed over MATCHSTICK MEN/MAN OF STEEL progression. I find 'Murph and Cooper' and 'Wonder' far more moving and enjoyable.

I like INTERSTELLAR, don't get me wrong, but the Spartan Day One material (what Ludwig identifies as the 'Love/Action theme') grates on me the same way the Mr. Turner theme does on TGP. It's that same warmed over MATCHSTICK MEN/MAN OF STEEL progression. I find 'Murph and Cooper' and 'Wonder' far more moving and enjoyable.

This.

This.

MR. TURNER is also more harmonically daring and interesting that INTERSTELLAR--with the exception of A Place Among the Stars (and maybe the first half of Wormhole and Afraid of Time). Strangely moving and free of the mawkishness and Rick Wakemanitis that infects the rest of the score, it's my favourite cue.