BloodBoal

I liked the Enterprise-E until Nemesis established that if you dip behind a wall in a corridor you can fall down a bottomless pit.

riker-bottomless-_pitjpg.jpg

You know, I just voted Enterprise because I remembered it has Jefferies Tubes. Suck it, Millennium Falcon. Yes, you have the Lando elevator, but you do not have Jefferies Tubes. Star Trek > all.

Both ships perfectly exemplify their franchises' design philosophies.

That's what makes the poll so tough. It's really an apples-and-oranges thing, when you get down to it.

I guess they could make ship set playsets, but people want to swoosh their spaceships.

Amen. Swooshability is a critical factor.

Nostromo_Detach.jpg

YES!!! As iconic and cool (to me) as either the Falcon or the Enterprise.

The Sovereign class is just gorgeous to me. Cadillac of the stars.

Absolutely. Never grew as accustomed to it as I did the A, but I love the look of it. (Pissed me of that they never issued a model of it, back when they had Trek models.)

Uni I have a model of the E. Course I have the redesign, the B, C, and D.

I don't have the original because it's always been a pain to build.

You can get models of all the main federation ships as well as Klingon and Romulan, even the turkey legged abrams enterprise

Whaaat? Where'd you find those? I have the A, of course (with flashing lights 'n' everything!). But about the time I started looking for the others, the canceled the franchising deal and the models stopped coming out.

Also . . . if you hate the design of the E s'dang much, why'd you spend the time to assemble a model? (Just curious.)

Whaaat? Where'd you find those? I have the A, of course (with flashing lights 'n' everything!). But about the time I started looking for the others, the canceled the franchising deal and the models stopped coming out.

Also . . . if you hate the design of the E s'dang much, why'd you spend the time to assemble a model? (Just curious.)

because it's the enterprise. I don't hate it. It's just my least favorite

I had to have most all the ships. But I haven't got the enterprise jj model. I don't consider it canon. Now I do have all the Hot Wheels ships including the Enterprise JJ, and the Vengeance.

Do you have the D with the third nacelle? Do they even sell it?

I do and Richard the J is fugly.

Course it's all packed away for the big move.

It looks slick...

But it's a fat, ugly beast, the size of your proverbial mom.

Q4LNbIs.png

TheGreyPilgrim and Richard would probably walk down Las Vegas and marvel at the architecture. Because that's what the J looks like, a decoration on the wall of some 1970s Las Vegas hotel.

It looks slick...

But it's a fat, ugly beast, the size of your proverbial mom.

Q4LNbIs.png

TheGreyPilgrim and Richard would probably walk down Las Vegas and marvel at the architecture. Because that's what the J looks like, a decoration on the wall of some 1970s Las Vegas hotel.

Shut up!

That's an abomination to phalluses everywhere!

I really love how the design literally slices a disk (or pizza slicer?) through a forked phallus (if you'll note, the phallus is even shaped like the corpus cavernosum!)

UVAKnpg.jpg

3dfKxaG.jpg

It's ugly.

The latter day Federation designs really don't cut ot for me. After Voyager they began to really flatten and elongate their designs. The stately, swan like features of the Enterprise becoming diminished for something more resembling roadkill!

That's an abomination to phalluses everywhere!

I really love how the design literally slices a disk (or pizza slicer?) through a forked phallus (if you'll note, the phallus is even shaped like the corpus cavernosum!)

UVAKnpg.jpg

3dfKxaG.jpg

Is this the Enterprise Air or something? Incredibly thin + absurdly large = ugly design

For me, the appeal of an Enterprise's design is directly proportional to how much it resembles the refit/Enterprise-A. That's pretty much the gold standard of starship design, as far as I'm concerned. The more the designers have strayed from that look, the more the design has suffered. I prefer the JJprise over the Enterprise-D and some of the other strange redesigns.

How do the filmmakers explain that the "refit" Enterprise looks drastically different from the TOS Enterprise, and yet the "A" Enterprise is basically (exactly?) the same as the "refit" Enterprise?

Why not have just called the TMP Enterprise the "A" Enterprise right from the start?

How do the filmmakers explain that the "refit" Enterprise looks drastically different from the TOS Enterprise, and yet the "A" Enterprise is basically (exactly?) the same as the "refit" Enterprise?

Why not have just called the TMP Enterprise the "A" Enterprise right from the start?

They never did. They didn't have continuity whores in the late 70's.

You never saw The Motion Picture, did you? The Enterprise has needed 18 months to be refitted.

"Admiral, we have just spent eighteen months redesigning and refitting the Enterprise. How in the name of hell do they expect me to have her ready in twelve hours?!"

- Scott, to Kirk

"Admiral, this is an almost totally new Enterprise. You don't know her a tenth as well as I do."

- Decker to Kirk, on the new Enterprise, as he pleads to not be replaced.

The idea of Kirk not being familiar with this new/old ship is an important plot point that makes Decker useful and makes Spock a mini-hero when he arrives.

But that's it, the movie doesn't itemize all the differences. They don't say how the warp core changes, how the nacelles are new, what the new lights above the main deflector are, why the bridge looks different, or why everyone wears their pajamas all the live long day.

I see nothing wrong with not calling the refit Enterprise the "A".

Your double negative compromises the point you're trying to make. The refit Enterprise is not the "A." The "A" is not designated until the original Enterprise is destroyed. It would have been named some other ship had the refit Enterprise not been destroyed over Genesis, and so that vessel was redesignated as a gift to Earth's savior.

Some fans might argue that the original Enterprise they grew up with in the 1960s, with its spinning orange nacelles and mostly white, simply adorned hull was destroyed in 1979 when the sleeker, gray, more brightly lit, with more blue, Enterprise "refit" debuted. Maybe they're on to something. At any rate, Starfleet (and Paramount) considered that the Enterprise all the same.

Yes, granted, the refit Enterprise and the Enterprise-A are the same class, Constitution refit. They're virtually identical on the outside but for that large "-A" at the end of the registry. That's it.

OK, I didn't know the A would only be used if it was literally a new ship, and not one made from the guts of a previous one

There's really no way to know if that's the way it would work out the previous ship hadn't been destroyed (or decommissioned) because of the way things progressed. Original destroyed, and a Constitution is renamed A. A is decommissioned, B is commissioned, fate unknown. C is destroyed, D commissioned/destroyed, enter E, story ends.

Note that no other Starfleet ship gets the letter treatment like the storied Enterprise. Not even the Defiant after it's destroyed.

They don't say how the warp core changes, how the nacelles are new, what the new lights above the main deflector are, why the bridge looks different, or why everyone wears their pajamas all the live long day.

It disturbs me--deeply--having to face the reality that I can answer all of these questions.

They don't say how the warp core changes, how the nacelles are new, what the new lights above the main deflector are, why the bridge looks different, or why everyone wears their pajamas all the live long day.

It disturbs me--deeply--having to face the reality that I can answer all of these questions.

Well, I reckon that if you didn't spend a good deal of your youth or semi-youth reading stuff like the ST:TNG Technical Manual, you're a pretty boring individual.

That's Star Wars' domain. Giant capital ships that launch one-man snubfighters to do the main fighting. The parallels to WWII dogfights are meant to be obvious. The Star Destroyers and Rebel cruisers have weapons, but they're also basically aircraft carriers for starfighters.

But Star Trek very rarely uses similar tactics. Select alien races will arm small pods or drones, and of course runabouts or the Delta Flyer can fire weapons, but it's rare to see an armed to the gills shuttlecraft in numbers standing toe to toe with a capital starship. And the Federation doesn't carry enough shuttles in their starships to be viable fighter squadrons, they're just ferries and taxis. The main guns are on each mothership.

And that's just the way it is. Star Wars carries war in its title, while Star Trek with its peaceful exploration doesn't want to show hordes of small fighter planes in space, not even for the majority of the warlike alien races.