RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Live to Projection Concerts

Incanus

On 12/03/2016 at 11:44 PM, loert423 said:

Well, they played a condensed version of Adventures of Mutt in the interval (just before Act 2 was to begin). Personally I thought that a bit odd, but...there it was!

Certainly odd, and I still don't think much of the cue. Should have done Irina's Theme instead.

On 13/03/2016 at 10:26 AM, crocodile said:

Call me crazy but I think I heard a recording of a choir somewhere in there.  Unless it was just playing in my head. ;) Maybe they had a 21 Century Chorus tracks with them? Could they use the original film version? I mean, was it recorded separately?

There was definitely something choirish bleeding through during Map Room, though it was barely audible.

On 13/03/2016 at 11:42 AM, ciarlese said:

I am not able to understand how people can spend any amount of money for such an experience and than feel the right to annoy who is seating next to them or chose to live the experience in a totally ruined way.

It's really annoying. It's a concert, first of all. People pay not unsignificant amounts of money to see the film in a concert hall with an orchestra performing the music live. I have to assume that barely anyone going to such an event does so without some kind of respect for the music. They even have an announcement before the beginning and during the intermission that people should stay during the credits and enjoy the music.

And what happens as soon as the first note of the end credits sounds? The whole hall starts applauding, and tons of people leave right away.

Many stayed, but a considerable number ran out right away.

Anyway, the 21st Century Orchestra was nothing short of heroic. And Airplane Fight deserves just as much praise as Desert Chase.

DSC_3030.thumb.JPG.2613f25ce07e234314103

Just a few people left during the end credits on Saturday. And I was surprised brcause it was quite unusual.

Anyway, can't wait to see it again in May. Although I expect the performance to be weaker.

Karol

• 2 months later...

An intermission in a two hour film is an oddity! 

No no choir or synth in the map room ?

My seat got upgraded for free though. 

No choir at all, or no live choir and pre-recorded choir came through the speakers?

I loved it. The Boston Pops were every bit the equal of the often deified LSO, with the exception of just a single moment. When Indy climbs on top of the German submarine, the entrance of the trumpets playing the Raiders March sounded distant and dull, making the cue not quite as euphoric as it could have been. Ah well. The music came across prominently in the mix - probably louder than the theatrical mix - but never overwhelmed the dialogue and effects.

I'm pretty sure I heard a recorded choir during "Map Room," but it's possible my brain was just filling in the blanks. I don't remember at all whether there was a recorded choir in the other cues.

That new bit of music Williams wrote for the first confrontation with Belloq was not included. Everything was reproduced faithfully, although I do wish we could have gotten at least a full performance of the end credits without microedits.

On 6/3/2016 at 2:44 PM, Bilbo Skywalker said:

An intermission in a two hour film is an oddity! 

Pretty sure all Film Concerts Live productions (Raiders is one of those) contain an intermission. Don't know about other live-to-projection concerts.

Also, I'll be going to see a performance of this by the Chicago Symphony in early July. It will be my second time seeing this type of concert, after Home Alone in December, which was terrific, although I was sitting in the very last row of the gallery (I got the tickets last minute). This time I'll be near the front of the gallery. 

On 6/3/2016 at 10:50 AM, TownerFan said:

Nice video from Boston Pops' Facebook page:

Thanks for posting, this is super interesting! When I went to see Home Alone live to picture in December in Chicago, I brought binoculars and would often focus in on the conductor (Richard Kaufman) and his screen. But I didn't always understand what I was seeing; this video really helped with that. 

I've seen the Lord of the Rings films live and they had intermissions but they're much longer films. 

Raiders isn't as heavily scored as Lord of the Rings either. There's a fair few long unscored scenes. 

The audiences for Symphony Hall need an intermission in a 2+ hour concert. There's alcohol served, and the patrons are mostly old, so you can imagine. I would think the situation is similar with the other orchestras that have played Raiders.

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 1:42 AM, Henry Buck said:

The audiences for Symphony Hall need an intermission in a 2+ hour concert. There's alcohol served, and the patrons are mostly old, so you can imagine. I would think the situation is similar with the other orchestras that have played Raiders.

Yes, the intermission is definitely part of the Live to Projection format, no matter if the movie is long or short.

I've never been to a concert that involves an orchestra playing that didn't have an intermission.

I sadly didn't end up going to see Raiders in Boston this weekend.  Hopefully we can go to Tanglewood in August.

Add May 19-20 at the Southern Alberta Jubilee in Calgary to the list of dates.

http://calgaryphil.com/event/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-original-film-with-orchestra/2017-05-19/

After the Hollywood Bowl in Sept I'm most excited for this. Already making ticket purchase plans.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, mattmane said:

I'll be attending the July 2nd performance by the Houston Symphony with some friends and family. Can't wait!

I, Daniel Seamus Cunningham, shall also be in attendance.

I'll be seeing/hearing Raiders live to projection this afternoon, performed by the Chicago Symphony. Really excited -- with this concert and The BFG's release, this is a quintessential Williams weekend -- although I am bracing for all the people who annoyingly cheer wildly while the music is still playing. 

4 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

That wasn't played in Lucerne... or maybe it's so short that it slipped away from my ears!

I'm wondering if you would know the answer to a question that's been bugging me for a while:

How is the sound mix for a film in a live to projection concert constructed? I assume it's not as simple as just removing the music, because the dialogue and effects wouldn't be clean, right? Do they go back to the original dialogue and effects elements and reconstruct the mix? That seems like it would be a nearly impossible task. 

I saw this yesterday in Chicago. It was a terrific experience, to say the least. There were some disappointing moments performance wise (the woodwinds seemed to be having some trouble and were quiet in parts of "Flight From Peru," for instance) but most spots were absolutely nailed by the orchestra. I loved hearing "Adventures of Mutt" before the second act started -- I'd forgotten that was going to happen until midway through the performance when I suddenly remembered. The new Raiders March first half coda Williams wrote based on "Flight from Peru" was great, although unfortunately the transition from the Well of Souls digging music to that coda was rather jarring. At Home Alone in December I had gotten to hear "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" from Home Alone 2 post-credits, which was marvelous, so I was hoping we might get an encore for Raiders, but it was over after the credits.

I had chills during the awesome "Flight from Peru," "The German Sub/To the Nazi Hideout," "The Map Room: Dawn," and "The Miracle of the Ark." But the whole thing was great. Apparently the CSO will be doing E.T. in November -- hopefully I can go to that. Just the thought of "Adventure on Earth" live to picture: :wub:

Oh, and there was no choir nor was there any synth choir. It would have been nice to have, but I didn't really mind -- it was great anyway. So it seems that there was just no choral score provided as part of the Film Concerts Live Raiders package, given that no JWFanners who have attended in any city have heard synth or real choir.

1 hour ago, Will said:

I'm wondering if you would know the answer to a question that's been bugging me for a while:

How is the sound mix for a film in a live to projection concert constructed? I assume it's not as simple as just removing the music, because the dialogue and effects wouldn't be clean, right? Do they go back to the original dialogue and effects elements and reconstruct the mix? That seems like it would be a nearly impossible task. 

I assume there was at least one point in post-production where the dialogue and effects track was finished and the music was layered on top of that.

For any subsequent re-releases I believe the music was remastered from the original master tapes, while the D&FX track must have been remastered and expanded to a 5.1 mix separately.

@thx99, any insights you could share here? :)

2 hours ago, Will said:

The studios that make the film keep the original dialogue, sound effects, and music tracks in their archives, so its easy enough to create a new mix that doesn't have the music track in it.

A little story about last Saturday's concert I forgot to mention:

There was this little kid sitting next to me during the performance. And during the intermission, I heard his mother talking to someone about her son: "He's a huge John Williams fan, so when we were coming here for the weekend we knew we had to go to this." It was kind of amusing when I later heard his mother trying to teach him about various parts of the orchestra, and staffs and other basic sheet music concepts. 

Anyway, don't be too surprised if you get a new young member here in a few years. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Omen II said:

Here is a very good quality clip of the opening dozen minutes or so of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra's live to picture performance of Raiders of the Lost Ark, conducted by Richard Kaufman.  Was this the one that you attended, Will?

Indeed I did attend this exact performance - this video brings back happy memories. :) I had chills all over during "Flight from Peru."

• 1 month later...

Marcy and I are at Tanglewood now!

How starts in about an hour and a half. 

Can't wait!

Anybody else from the board here?