RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Live to Projection Concerts

Incanus

Ah OK, so the expansion contains everything recorded, but more was written down that wasn't recorded, and then they performed that bit at older LTP concerts of the movie, but have since dropped it.

Is that right?

Sounds about right to me! Although for all we know, there might be a first take of the entire cue including the Ark theme. I'll let Doug chime in in case he knows more!

Interestingly, there are no indications of a rewrite on Spencer's manuscript, at least not on the copy I'm referring to.

17 hours ago, LB Makes Stuff said:

I have a question:

Has anyone’s local symphonies / orchestras done more than just one “performance” of Raiders (or any other film for that matter)? As in, have they done it one year, then did it again a few years later? The JSO did it back in 2018, but haven’t done it again since.

Yeah.

You have some orchestras, like Detroit Symphony Orchestra, that do the Home Alone LTP concert every year during the holidays since 2016 (accept for COVID-2020).

Other orchestras will repeat an LTP concert a few years later, like the Star Wars ones, or Raiders.  One orchestra, the San Fran Symphony, did the Matrix LTP concert a second time last year since they first did it back in 2013.

And you have the odd-ones, like the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, that did the Black Panther LTP for the second time since they first did it last year.

My guess is that an orchestra will  rebook an LTP concert if it meets the following criteria:

• If it did well the first time
  • If a new film in the franchise is being released into theaters during the orchestra's fiscal-year (between Sept and August), like an Indiana Jones, or a Star Wars, or a Jurassic, etc.

3 hours ago, SyncMan said:

Yeah.

You have some orchestras, like Detroit Symphony Orchestra, that do the Home Alone LTP concert every year during the holidays since 2016 (accept for COVID-2020).

Other orchestras will repeat an LTP concert a few years later, like the Star Wars ones, or Raiders.  One orchestra, the San Fran Symphony, did the Matrix LTP concert a second time last year since they first did it back in 2013.

And you have the odd-ones, like the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, that did the Black Panther LTP for the second time since they first did it last year.

My guess is that an orchestra will  rebook an LTP concert if it meets the following criteria:

• If it did well the first time
  • If a new film in the franchise is being released into theaters during the orchestra's fiscal-year (between Sept and August), like an Indiana Jones, or a Star Wars, or a Jurassic, etc.

Ok, solid. Thanks for responding!

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the spring, I said that Disney Concerts couldn't make LTP concerts of remaining Indiana Jones film (except 'DoD) because of this...

On 24/04/2023 at 6:26 PM, SyncMan said:

I may be wrong in thinking Disney Concerts can do anything about producing LTP concerts of the released Indiana Jones films—TOD, TLC, and TKCS.  What I’m about to say are just theories based on facts.

My reason is that Paramount Pictures still owns the distribution rights (showing a film at a theatre, TV broadcast, home video, streaming, etc) to these said films, while Disney owns the music-score rights of these films--Bantha Music is the publisher of the Lucasfilm music-scores and Disney owns Lucasfilm.  So, Disney Concerts can’t do the LTP concerts of these films without the license from Paramount to show the films at the concert halls, amphitheaters, etc. and, apparently, Paramount isn't playing ball with them.

Then these facts started coming up.

On May 31,this year, weeks before the release of DoD, Disney began streaming the Indy films on their platform, Disney+.  Paramount stills owns the distribution rights to these films, which includes streaming, so Disney would have had to have gotten permission from Paramount to do that.  This article from the Hollywood Reporter reveals that this limited feature was the result of an 'updated rights deal' between the two studios.

Then during the summer, I noticed the Raiders LTP-concert rental, which was created by a 3rd-party concert-production company prior to Disney's acquistion of Lucasfilm, began showing up on Disney Concerts' website.  In addition, orchestras and venues were promoting their presenting the rental on websites and social media displaying Disney Concerts' ownership--their logo and/or copyright notice.  

On 03/08/2023 at 12:14 PM, SyncMan said:

This image now appears among the rentals in Disney Concerts' website.

https://www.disneyconcerts.com/concerts/

Sample 2.png

This portion of the image interests me.

sample.png

So, does that mean, from here on end, if an orchestra wants to do a rental of the ROTLA LTP concert, they have to go to Disney Concerts and not to Film Concerts Live!, anymore?

For posterity, here is a page of a digital program from a July 2023 concert of the ROTLA LTP from the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra where it reads that the rental is 'produced by Film Concerts Live!'

sample 4.png

Here is a page from the Pacific Symphony Orchestra's digital program from last August's Raiders LTP concert that has the Disney Concerts logo.

Program.png

Here are some other images from other orchestras/venues using the Raiders LTP-concert rental from Disney where their Disney Concerts logo and/or copyright notice are displayed.

Raiders - Germany.png

Raiders-Indiana.pngRaiders Tucson.png

Could this be part of this 'updated rights deal'?

Based on these facts, one could draw the conclusion that there is a possibility that Disney, through the live-music arm of Disney Concerts, may handle the LTP-concerts of the remaining Indiana Jones film.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@Martinland, and @ConorPower, where was the concert?

I'm curious to know how the orchestra tackled "The Map Room: Dawn". Was there a choir, either real, or synthesized?

Aloha NOF!

It happened in wonderful Dublin.

I am curious about ConorPower's assessment of this, since I thought in advance about that sequence and there being no choir - but during the performance not only did I not miss the choir, I heard no obvious distracting synthesizer (quite sensitive to that, being a musician myself) - and I paid more attention to the orchestra, conductor, and overall sound/orchestration details than to the screen. It just worked/blended wonderfully well - all in an acoustic setting (as opposed to e.g. the amplified Final Fantasy 14 concert at the Hammersmith Apollo in London four days earlier - still an amazing experience with more than 3500 excited people in the audience) and with punches and streamers only.

For FF they (Alexandra Cravero and members of the orchestra) had a click ... only Anthony Gabriele managed to conduct Superman w/o any visual aids other than the movie itself in June; simply amazing. (he comes from ballet, I had a fascinating post-concert talk with him)

Having said that, Caleb Young's conducting was precise and a joy to experience, the sync was spookily close to the picture (e.g. cymbal crash with the wave leaping up the submarine, punches and cuts during flying wing sequence, et cetera) and he really shone after the intermission with a free and fast-paced interpretation of Mutt's theme and especially during the end credits, during which he emphasized the romantic passages in a quasi-rubato style only to finish the Raiders March in a *very* brisk and *exciting* manner - something I would not have thought possible after having heard/seen it so many times. Simply great. Let's not talk about the furious and demanding desert chase, the enhanced dynamics and more...

I was swept away by the whole performance ... there were details, for example in the piano sections, that I haven't registered before.

There was maybe one phrase and one not very prominent note flubbed in the French horns and brass respectively ... but we're talking about playing the whole score live to picture! We know the LSO recording(s) well enough to realise that this surpasses them almost, if you do not take into account the latter sight-reading during a film recording instead of rehearsing for a concert performance. ;)

Sorry for  the baroque answer. ;)

6 hours ago, Jay said:

It's synth choir for Raiders LTP concerts.

No real choir, indeed, but you were not there? I am pretty sure Caleb Young worked on the balance of anything intruding the purely acoustic sound of the orchestra. The balance between the movie sound effects and dialogue was really perfect as well, despite the former having had quite a bit of a presence in the low frequencies; even more so than in June w/ Superman. I should have asked who ultimately balances this ... the sound engineer or the conductor; most probably both, during rehearsals, I presume.

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Oh, pity for those attending.

Haha, au contraire - see above... ;)

Subscribers of FSM Online will be able to experience some of the key moments from this concert as exclusive videos. The new issue will be out in a few days.

Re choir, it’s a specific synth patch.

1 hour ago, mahler3 said:

Subscribers of FSM Online will be able to experience some of the key moments from this concert as exclusive videos.

Very nice! Who recorded those?

1 hour ago, mahler3 said:

Re choir, it’s a specific synth patch.

That's amazing - it blended in wonderfully and didn't draw attention to itself, if this was the case ... listen to it again in those FSM recordings ... I will not be able to, probably.

Used to buy FSM on paper, even in London soundtrack shops now long gone... ;)

Ciao! 

On 29/10/2023 at 2:45 PM, mahler3 said:

Subscribers of FSM Online will be able to experience some of the key moments from this concert as exclusive videos. The new issue will be out in a few days.

Any FSM Subscribers can tell us if they have received exclusive videos of 'key moments' from Superman, which was done at that very same hall as this one last summer.

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, Home Alone is actually really fun. And it's great to have Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas from HA2 as an encore.

Karol

I would LOVE hear Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas live, that's my favorite Home Alone song.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Film Concerts Live (FCL) has removed the 'Raiders' LTP concert-rental from their roster.  

Before

FCL-Raiders_Before.png

After

After.png

So, now an orchestra/venue has to go to Disney Concerts to rent it.

I wonder if Disney Concerts will make changes to it?

On 16/11/2023 at 5:18 PM, Oozer said:

The Cleveland Orchestra will be doing this next summer at Blossom Music Center on June 29th and 30th. https://www.clevelandorchestra.com/attend/concerts-and-events/2425/blossom/raiders-of-the-lost-ark/

I'm on the fence if I want to get lawn tickets. Should be a nice night if nothing else.

16 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I'm on the fence if I want to get lawn tickets. Should be a nice night if nothing else.

If you go for the lawn seating, won't you be listening to the orchestra from the speakers instead of directly from the stage?  It would be cheaper to bring a boom-box to the backyard, pop-in a Raiders CD, sit-down and listen.

I would hold-out in attending that concert at an indoor venue.  I would also look into the Cincinatti Symphony Orchestra's schedule.  They do 3 LTP concerts per season.  However, the orchestra announced thier 2024/25 schedule last month and they have only 1 LTP concert. 

https://www.cincinnatisymphony.org/tickets-and-events/calendar

I suspect that that schedule isn't final. For example, there are no concerts in April 2025, but there are, at least, 6 concerts going-on this month (April 2024).  So, they may add more concerts to that schedule from now until September.  

I've seen many USA bookings for Raiders come up recently and, according to my Googling, the CSO has not done this concert yet, so, it is a possibility that the CSO may book it.

My own situation: I know there were rare USA bookings of the TITANIC LTP concert and I, intentionally, past-up attending a booking of that concert at this football statium in Thousand Oaks, CA back in 2019.  Later that year, this indoor concert-hall in Montreal Canada announced a booking of TITANIC for the following January 2020, so I went to that.  Right now, the San Francisco Symphony is doing it at Davies Symphony Hall next year.  So, patience pays off.

It's the difference between paying ~$300 for a concert where I won't be able to hear the orchestra on purpose (dialog and SFX) and ~$120 for a concert where I won't be able to hear the orchestra by accident (distance from stage).

I'm not expecting a life changing orchestral experience but I might get a nice night out with the family.

I haven't been to Blossom in over 30 years but I recall it's a nice place.