RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - Live to Projection Concerts

Incanus

Be thankful they even played the full end credits, at the Star Trek 2009 concert I went to, they just played the courage theme, even though they clearly had the choir track for the whole cue set up.

@Jay

Also, I never noticed before / had forgotten that in addition to Miracle of the Ark being edited in the film, two other cues (Escape from Peru and... Marion's Theme I think) are edited; the live performance did a good cover of this by making the shortened cue still be very musical; I doubt anyone would suspect they were altered unless they were very familiar with the full cues. 

Yeah, my favorite cue from the score is probably Flight from Peru, and I hadn't realized it was edited in the film so it was quite jarring (I saw this in Chicago a few months ago). 

As soon as Indy's shovel went into the dirt, the film did a hard fade to black, and the orchestra, instead of ending the original cue in full, played a kind of weird rewrite that tried to transition the cue into a short statement of the Indy theme to wrap up the first half. I'd have to hear it again, but my initial impression was that it was kinda awkward. 

Oh yes. That was a really jarring transition, from the digging cue to a jolly version of the march (based on the one in Flight from Peru). I thought it was appropriate, and great, to end the first half with the march, but I wish there could have been a better transition from the film cue. 

That Tanglewood crowd seems terrible.  I don't remember anyone leaving early in Chicago, and certainly nobody talked or clapped during the Adventures of Mutt. 

Every concert I've ever been to at Tanglewood features people leaving early, usually around the start of the last piece of the main program, before any encores.  I suppose its because of the logistics of the venue; You have thousands and thousands of people who all drove in, in a few parking lots nearby with only a single-lane road leading out in 2 directions (luckily they have police open up both lanes for exit time, effectively making it a 2lane one-way road, but that only helps so much).

So the combinations of people wanting to beat the traffic plus the general more laid-back atmosphere of the whole venue contributes to the leaving early.

Like I said when I saw Fellowship and TTT in Radio City Music Hall in New York City, I don't think anyone left before the whole thing was over.  I don't recall people generally leaving early at Symphony Hall in Boston, either.  Though in both cases, most people probably arrived via public transportation, or at least could be parked at one of dozens or dozens of possible locations nearby with multitudinous different roads to take as a way out.

TBH I much prefer going to Symphony Hall over Tanglewood.  

Though, it is kinda nice to enjoy a concert outdoors in the nice weather.

So I guess they each have their pros and cons.

The MSO are performing this in Melbourne in November!

http://www.mso.com.au/whats-on/2016-season/indiana-jones-and-the-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-in-concert/

IIRC they did a John Williams concert a few years ago, and were the orchestra who performed the original music in Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Latest dates

OCTOBER 2016

28OCTRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Denver, Colorado 7:30 pm Boettcher Concert HallOrchestra: Colorado Symphony

NOVEMBER 2016

3NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Melbourne, Australia 8:00 pm Hamer HallOrchestra: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

4NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Melbourne, Australia 8:00 pm Hamer HallOrchestra: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

5NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Melbourne, Australia 2:00 pm Hamer HallOrchestra: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

5NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Tulsa, OK 7:30 pm Tulsa PACOrchestra: Tulsa Symphony

5NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Vancouver, BC 7:30 pm Orpheum TheatreOrchestra: Vancouver Symphony Canadian Premiere

5NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Tulsa, OK 7:30 pm Tulsa PACOrchestra: Tulsa Symphony

5NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Melbourne, Australia 8:00 pm Hamer HallOrchestra: Melbourne Symphony Orchestra

6NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Vancouver, BC 2:00 pm Orpheum TheatreOrchestra: Vancouver Symphony

10NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Kansas City, MO 7:00 pm Kauffman CenterOrchestra: Kansas City Symphony

10NOVRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Portland, Oregon 7:30 pm Arlene Schnitzer Concert HallOrchestra: Oregon Symphony

SHOW MORE EVENTS

DECEMBER 2016

30DECRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Milwaukee, WI 7:30 pm Uihlein Hall - Marcus Center for the Performing ArtsOrchestra: Milwaukee Symphony

31DECRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Milwaukee, WI 2:30 pm Uihlein Hall - Marcus Center for the Performing ArtsOrchestra: Milwaukee Symphony

JANUARY 2017

6JANRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Rochester, New York 7:30 pm Kodak Hall at Eastman TheatreOrchestra: Rochester Philharmonic

6JANRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Red Bank, New Jersey 8:00 pm Count Basie TheatreOrchestra: New Jersey Symphony

7JANRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Newark, New Jersey 8:00 pm NJPACOrchestra: New Jersey Symphony

8JANRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: New Brunswick, New Jersey 3:00 pm State TheatreOrchestra: New Jersey Symphony

27JANRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Atlanta, GA 8:00 pm Atlanta Symphony HallOrchestra: Atlanta Symphony

28JANRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Atlanta, GA 8:00 pm Atlanta Symphony HallOrchestra: Atlanta Symphony

MARCH 2017

17MARRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: St. Louis, MO 7:00 pm Powell HallOrchestra: St. Louis Symphony

17MARRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Philadelphia, PA 7:00 pm Verizon HallOrchestra: The Philadelphia Orchestra

18MARRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: St. Louis, MO 7:00 pm Powell HallOrchestra: St. Louis Symphony

18MARRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Philadelphia, PA 7:00 pm Verizon HallOrchestra: The Philadelphia Orchestra

19MARRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Philadelphia, PA 2:00 pm Verizon HallOrchestra: The Philadelphia Orchestra

19MARRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: St. Louis, MO 2:00 pm Powell HallOrchestra: St. Louis Symphony

29MARRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Toronto, ON 7:30 pm Roy Thomson HallOrchestra: Toronto Symphony

APRIL 2017

13APRRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: San Francisco, CA 8:00 pm Davies Symphony HallOrchestra: San Francisco Symphony

14APRRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: San Francisco, CA 8:00 pm Davies Symphony HallOrchestra: San Francisco Symphony

15APRRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: San Francisco, CA 8:00 pm Davies Symphony HallOrchestra: San Francisco Symphony

MAY 2017

19MAYRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Calgary, AB 7:30 pm Jubilee AuditoriumOrchestra: Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra

20MAYRAIDERS OF THE LOST ARKcity: Calgary, AB 2:00 pm Jubilee AuditoriumOrchestra: Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra

I really enjoyed it when I saw it this summer at Tanglewood.  Just great watching the film with an audience anyway, and the live orchestra is like an added bonus

New date announced for Milano, Italy, next June!

http://www.laverdi.org/italian/risultato_ricerca_categorie.php?isProssimaStagione=s&categoriaID=126

It was originally planned last August, but it was then cancelled a few weeks before. Let's hope this time they'll succeed! :)

• 4 months later...

As hinted by Richard Kaufman at last weekend's John Williams concerts in Scotland, confirmation that the Royal Scottish National Orchestra will be playing Raiders of the Lost Ark live to picture on 25th June 2017 at Edinburgh's Usher Hall as part of the Edinburgh International Film Festival:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

If you insist, Señor.  Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. tomorrow (2nd March).

• 3 weeks later...

First performance by the Saint Louis Symphony was last night!! Great crowd, full to capacity!!  Noticing in the trombone part, during "The Floor Moves" has a similarity to to Bela Bartok.  It's great to play the full scores after years of highlights of John Williams' music.  

Now for a little trivia, What is this excerpt?

image.jpeg

Nice!!  This sequence is harrowing to play as these scores can be in context of the film!  So fun to play, though!!  We had a former student of Denis Wick's joining us in the  this week, who was Principal Trombone for the LSO and played all the big John Williams scores of that era

11 hours ago, Soundforger said:

First performance by the Saint Louis Symphony was last night!! Great crowd, full to capacity!!  Noticing in the trombone part, during "The Floor Moves" has a similarity to to Bela Bartok.  It's great to play the full scores after years of highlights of John Williams' music.  

Now for a little trivia, What is this excerpt?

image.jpeg

And I was in attendance!  Great performance last night!

The Philly concert was utterly amazing.  The orchestra was spot on and the audience was really into the whole thing, much like the other live projections I've experienced.  It's much better to see this in the concert hall, in my opinion, opposed to an outdoor venue.  I was in a first tier box (see my slightly zoomed in pic above to give you an idea of my viewpoint) and had a great look at the orchestra while they were performing.  The Map Room sequence was huge, and the Desert Chase was spectacular.  The great thing is that they really don't cater to the effects during these events, most of the time they seem dialed way down, and the orchestra does not hold back during big moments.

I didn't read through this thread ahead of time so I found it interesting that they used Adventures of Mutt as an introduction back from the Intermission.  It was an extremely abridged version, lasting something like a minute or so, then we were back in the film.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2017 at 10:31 AM, Jay said:

Yea, it is a bit of an odd intermission choice

Why? It's from an Indy film and probably a fav of Williams and that's why it's there. I'd prefer Scherzo for Motorcycle myself but I'm not going to complain about getting a bonus Williams piece.

I found it odd because its so far in the future from Raiders.  Doing Marion's Theme would make a lot more sense, since its a unique concert arrangement of a theme used in the film that you're there to see, that wouldn't be played otherwise.  Of course, if they wanted an upbeat/peppy return from intermission piece, than personally Parade of the Slave Children or Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra would make more sense IMO.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Depends on the venue.  If it's an outdoor family concert setting then normal summer relaxed Casual wear should be appropriate.  If it's in a concert hall off-season, then Business Casual should be fine (what Jay described).  If it's part of an official orchestra subscription series then I usually try to do Business wear (tie), but it's not required.

It was fun! I took my 8 year old brother cause he loves Indiana Jones. We were in the back right, but I bunch of seats were empty around, so we moved more towards the middle. My brother tried to leave during the end credits, but I wasn't having any of that. Over all, much better than the Harry Potter LTP I went to.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For live to picture screenings like Raiders, how do they handle the chorus which is only used for like 3 minutes?  I assume it is a recording or do they omit it?

36 minutes ago, Jay said:

Omitted

Darn but makes the most sense.  Hard to imagine The Map Room or Miracle of the Ark without chorus.  American Youth Symphony is playing this on November 11.  I'll catch that one. 

On 12/5/2015 at 11:29 AM, Gurkensalat said:

Ark theme e.g. in Map room was without choir which was imitated by synthesizer. Ditto for some exotic instruments like cymbalon. OK for me.

On 1/3/2016 at 1:54 PM, TownerFan said:

The big set-pieces (the prologue, "The Basket Game", "The Map Room," "Desert Chase" and "Miracle of the Ark") were obviously the moments where the chills and thrills were stronger, but literally everything was done with such fluidity that the whole audience was in awe. Even the synth choir was balanced very well. 

On 3/12/2016 at 5:54 PM, ciarlese said:

I was expecting the choir and not having it was the only disappointing bit 

On 3/12/2016 at 6:17 PM, Loert said:

Yeah, the choir is what makes Map Room: Dawn a transcendental musical experience for me, and sadly they didn't have it as a synth or anything (or at least I couldn't hear it). Still, the orchestra played very nicely and it sounded good enough without the choir. In fact, that big chord which goes with the sun beam centering on the location of the Well of the Souls, and all the tinkly percussion that goes with it, sounded incredible and was probably the most "holy shit" moment of the concert! 

On 3/12/2016 at 6:27 PM, Alan said:

I also agree that the only (very minor) disappointment was the lack of a choir. The synth choir barely came through.

On 3/12/2016 at 10:01 PM, The Psycho Pianist said:

The lack of choir was most certainly hugely disappointing, especially given the scale of the performance and venue, along with the obvious value of it to the relevant points within the score.

The CSO played magnificently. There was an intermission right after Indy starts to dig for the Well of Souls, and it resumed with an abbreviated Adventures of Mutt (which was the only thing not played super well), followed by the sunset dig shot. Disappointingly, if you just pay to sit on the lawn, there’s no way you can see the orchestra, and unless you arrive very early, even your view of the screen will be obstructed by trees. I’m more used to Millennium Park Concerts, where no matter where you sit you can see the stage just fine. Oh well; now I know! The atmosphere of an outdoor concert is very laid back — people bring food and wine and talk amongst their group. So, it was a pleasant evening, but not the intense, focused experience I would have preferred (i.e., in the concert hall). You don’t get a lot of interplay with the rest of the audience (feeding off each others’ laughs and cheers), and there’s only so much you can say about the music. The dialogue was much louder than the music; luckily, the movie gives you long stretches without dialogue. And the sound effects were pretty low.

• 1 year later...

Lots of dates in the books for Raiders, I guess this is a popular one

AUGUST 2019

SEPTEMBER 2019

OCTOBER 2019

NOVEMBER 2019

JANUARY 2020

FEBRUARY 2020

APRIL 2020

MAY 2020

JUNE 2020