Hans Zimmer - Chappie

Jay

I saw the film today. It has some redeeming features, but overall rather disappointing and 'goofy'. Didn't care all that much for ELYSIUM either, so DISTRICT 9 remains the only film of his I've truly liked. Skeptical about his ALIEN film, but hoping for the best.

The score, however, is brilliant. Exactly my cup of tea. Can't wait to hear the full thing.

It is, but it isn't even close to being the best part of the score. Hopefully, it will be released on Spotify eventually, so we all can sample it.

Are you sure the trailer music is Zimmer? Urgh, that definitely doesn't make this score sound too promising...The trailer music sounds worse than the usual Zimmer clone fare.

You're telling me it takes two numbers to measure your own ass, but only one to measure my son's future?

Exactly!

Now come on Wojo. Don't play hard to get.

Are you sure the trailer music is Zimmer? Urgh, that definitely doesn't make this score sound too promising...The trailer music sounds worse than the usual Zimmer clone fare.

The clip above is from the actual film, it's not a trailer. I have no idea who wrote the trailer music.

Varèse Sarabande is thrilled to be releasing the soundtrack to Sony Pictures' CHAPPIE, the latest score by the legendary Hans Zimmer. This is Zimmer’s first all-electronic soundtrack since the 1980s, when he first developed his ground-breaking style. CHAPPIE is the new film from the director of DISTRICT 9 and stars Hugh Jackman, Dev Patel and Sigourney Weaver. Varèse Sarabande's exclusive release of CHAPPIE will be released March 17th on CD, with PRE-ORDER information COMING SOON. The digital album will be available at iTunes, Amazon and elsewhere beginning March 9th in Europe and March 10th in the U.S.

Chappie_zpspcr8plq2.jpg

So it's like Jupiter Ascending - Varese in the US, Sony internationally.

Some nice comb filtering on the synth at 0:06. Film looks shit.

I also like the Goa-ish bit from 0:23-37 with the side-chain compression from the kick. Maybe not Goa, but def one of those sub-subgenres of Trance. Maybe Hard Trance or Prog Trance. Thor?

/Muso

Track list:

1 It's a Dangerous City 2:09

2 The Only Way Out of This 4:58

3 Use Your Mind 4:04

4 A Machine That Thinks and Feels 3:03

5 Firmware Update 3:52

6 Welcome To the Real World 3:52

7 The Black Sheep 4:28

8 Indestructible Robot Gangster #1 3:11

9 Breaking the Code 4:49

10 Rudest Bad Boy In Joburg 2:41

11 You Lied To Me 4:06

12 Mayhem Downtown 3:57

13 The Outside Is Temporary 3:09

14 Never Break a Promise 7:43

15 We Own This Sky 4:19

16 Illest Gangsta On the Block 2:45

Samples:

You are now choosing not to film you had planned on seeing simply based on who scored it? :blink:

You are now choosing not to film you had planned on seeing simply based on who scored it? :blink:

Er..... yeah. I know the score will annoy me so why bother? I'll watch it when a friend buys it on DVD in 12 months time.

Er..... yeah. I know the score will annoy me so why bother? I'll watch it when a friend buys it on DVD in 12 months time.

I wish I had your powers of precognition

Some nice comb filtering on the synth at 0:06. Film looks shit.

I also like the Goa-ish bit from 0:23-37 with the side-chain compression from the kick. Maybe not Goa, but def one of those sub-subgenres of Trance. Maybe Hard Trance or Prog Trance. Thor?

/Muso

It's not goa, really (or any other kinds of psytrance) -- which is much too dark and tribal -- but it has more general trance elements, for sure. After listening to the samples on iTunes, it confirmed again that the beat-based EDM elements are cool, but so are the ethereal, gorgeous textures like in "Black Sheep". Bliss!

I was surprised to see this was rated R. I thought it was going to be a family-type of thing.

District 9 and Elysium were rated R, I figured this one would be too

It is, but parents might be upset because you'd think that a big talking robot ought to be friendly and family oriented. Nope, it's District 9 with robots instead of prawns.

I was surprised to see this was rated R. I thought it was going to be a family-type of thing.

There's a lot of violence in it (decapitations etc.), which just emphasizes the fact that the film doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's totally confused.

It is, but parents might be upset because you'd think that a big talking robot ought to be friendly and family oriented. Nope, it's District 9 with robots instead of prawns.

To be fair Short Circuit 2 was not the best family film either!

I grew up watching Short Circuit 1 and 2 repeatedly. Classic stuff. No idea if they hold up as an adult