The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

On 7/14/2016 at 4:22 PM, mrbellamy said:

Don't know where else to put it, but I enjoyed this:

Wow, that's really cool, I love BTS stuff like this!

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 11:50 AM, Disco Stu said:

I'm not one of the weirdos who argues that Hook is a secret classic movie or anything, but I will say that the artificiality of the sets was actually something I loved about that movie.  I don't know how to explain that intellectually, I just responded to the visual design, especially the pirate town.

The Claustrophobic Sets if one of the biggest problem of the movie. Redo that With CG please.

I suffocate when I watch this movie!

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from the press screening here in Norway. Now that it's been out for ages, and most of you have seen it already, I don't have much add.

Loved the first 45 minutes, then it gets bogged down in the queen sequence, and then it's OK towards the end again.

Williams' music was just as whimsical as it is on album. There are some great setpiece sequences here that -- had this come out in the 90s -- Williams would have scored more coherently (think HOOK). Now he's just fluttering around with the flickering dream lights. It's a bit disconcerting. That's not to say that there aren't moments when he gets to do a more individual setpiece (like "Frolic") or tap into the thematic material for the giant, Sophie etc., but all in all it's a rather disappointing affair; and a sign (at least to me) that he's not really "into" these things that much anymore. Also, the Americana theme for Sophie seems rather at odds with the Britishness of it all. Which is weird, because few composers today do "English"/pastoral music as well as Williams.

What an oddity this is -- both film and score.

I wondered why my belated response above didn't trigger any activity here, but then I skimmed through the last few pages of this thread, and noticed that my disppointment was shared by many of you. Now it all makes sense! (I'm so used to having the opposite viewpoint of everyone else, that it came as somewhat of a surprise that I was in synch for once, LOL!).

Oddity... that's strong.

It's a ballet... a very various ballet, like a ballet should be I think.

For me it contains very exasperating flute parts (but that's my tastes).

A thing is sure, we are in the world of dreams.... I didn't saw the movie, but I watched a Youtube review of a French little genius, that explained that the most part of the movie is maybe in fact a dream... a Sophie's dream... And that there were evidence in the music, when the dream begins, and when it ends.  It's supposedly "quoted" very clearly in JW's music.  

Well, it's a Spielberg movie too.... an umpteenth story about the lost of childhood.

Maybe it's just too poetic for us to get at the first watch/listening!

"Where Did My Childhood Go?" :mellow:

25 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I watched a Youtube review of a French little genius, that explained that the most part of the movie is maybe in fact a dream... a Sophie's dream... And that there were evidence in the music, when the dream begins, and when it ends.  It's supposedly "quoted" very clearly in JW's music.  

Well, it's a Spielberg movie too.... an umpteenth story about the lost of childhood.

What the hell are you talking about?

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What the hell are you talking about?

Surely not a thing you can understand Mr. Postman.

4 hours ago, Bespin said:

It's in french, you will understand nothing!

I do not know French. But I watched it anyway. :lol:

What are the exact moments in the score which he claims are the start and end of the dream?

3 hours ago, Will said:

What are the exact moments in the score which he claims are the start and end of the dream?

I'm afraid it's a level of knowledge only available to the erudite. :sarcasm:

47 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm afraid it's a level of knowledge only available to the erudite. :sarcasm:

Oh, come on. :P Are you seriously not going to tell me?

The "beginning" and "the end" of the dream is represented by a little flute motive in the "Sophie and The BFG" suite.

The french guy says the movie has a second degree message:

"A passage into the inescapable adulthood, but which does not forbid an escape towards the childhood through the dreams, throughout our life. Listen to Finale several times and behind its very simple appearances, you will see the second message coming to light in the course of the listening."

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

What's the point of putting the acronym if you're going to put the full title right below it?

Because the acronym is the actual film title, while the full title has to compete with Doom's legendary gun in American pop culture. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...