The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

Well the last 4 Spielberg/Williams films (4 in an entire decade :mellow: Seriously Spielberg, pull your finger out!) featured Williams music in the trailers, so I'd be surprised if the BFG didn't. After all, there were sessions as early as January (or February?)

I'm excited for both. I have a soft spot for Johnny in "whimsical fantasy" mode, so while I'd be pleasantly surprised by something unexpected, I won't care if it's more of the same either. Win-win for me, but that's how I am with Williams anyway, especially at this point.

And I'm always interested to see if Spielberg can ever pull something like this off again. Never read the book but I do like Dahl and I'm curious how his sensibilities will mesh with Spielberg's. Plus Melissa Mathison was a wonderful, sensitive writer, and I liked Spielberg's anecdote in one of the Bridge of Spies Q&As about Mark Rylance being disinterested in this until he read the screenplay in one sitting and immediately wanted in. I think it could turn out lovely, but I could also see another Hook where it starts off well and becomes obnoxious once the fantasy comes in.

8 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

The trailer didn't do much for me.

I was a little disappointed with the teaser as well. I was hoping for a more light, fun trailer with soaring fantasy music. Instead the Disney marketing department apparently wants us to think this is a horror film. Let's pray that trailer is not representative of the tone of the actual film. I'm a Spielberg fan so I still have high hopes. 

On ‎01‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 7:56 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

This is very likely headed to Cannes.

If so that's great news as should be good exposure for John Williams score.

Yes, it's been confirmed that The BFG will premiere at the Cannes Film Festival (out of competition section) in May.

Meanwhile, a new still and a short quote from Spielberg about the film:

tumblr_o4sgjrcGK01r5cyr0o1_540.jpg

“It’s about big dreams, it’s about big feelings, it’s about big dangers and it’s about a very big friendship. This is a story about scale, and it also has some nice things to say about the scale of friendship and how a little girl can hold such powerful sway when she really puts her heart to it.”

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2016/03/27/summer-movie-preview/82053030/

Geez this script has me excited, with a quote like that. Hope Mathison knocked it out of the park.

I like the anecdote about Rylance being disinterested until he read the script and was immediately on-board.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I like the anecdote about Rylance being disinterested until he read the script and was immediately on-board.

I'm sure you find such anecdotes about 'Wrath of the Titans 2' so let's file it under urgently positive pre-release hype. Spielberg's own words are essentially a cop-out. 

Well that's awfully cynical of you! 

Rylance doesn't strike me as some usual Hollywood shill. He didn't even campaign for the Oscar this year, as he was busy performing in theatre.

He's not entirely wrong. And Rylance has great respect for Spielberg, and basically owes his current Hollywood success (and Oscar) to him, so even if he was directing Transformers 23, Rylance would probably still sign on.

I wrote good things about 'Tintin'. And let's not forget all this speculation is awfully unimportant in the end.

It's just not a film i feel much inclination to watch because it strikes me as kind of boring, thematically (and Spielberg now uttering empty phrases like above doesn't make my heart skip a beat in excitement, frankly).

4 hours ago, KK. said:

He's not entirely wrong. And Rylance has great respect for Spielberg, and basically owes his current Hollywood success (and Oscar) to him, so even if he was directing Transformers 23, Rylance would probably still sign on.

He signed on way before his current Hollywood success, though.

New trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ0Bey4YUGI

No Williams music, though.

Spielberg introduced the trailer with a live streaming on FB (and also said it won't be the last BFG trailer we'll see)

https://www.facebook.com/WaltDisneyStudios/videos/1096376120403712/

Yeah, I think that shot of Rylance looks really great. Not feeling any uncanny valley, it looks like some kind of live-action/CG hybrid....I wonder how they did that exactly, I'm not sure that's a fully CG shot.

Less convinced on the overall look of the fantasy world stuff....it's a little on the "glossy" side, and some of these obviously made-for-3D shots may feel more theme park ride than movie, 

Weta's VFX work looks a bit spotty for The BFG, although the titular character's rendering looks good.

FYI, the music used in the new trailer is "The Star Shines" from Ilan Eshkeri's Stardust score. No Williams material.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Because Spielberg wanted to do it?

Thats as silly as those who said "

Why did Spielberg do Bridge Of Spies?

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There seem to be a lot of people who think Spielberg should do challenging, edgy material. Despite the fact that the few times he did so the reaction was mostly lukewarm to negative. (EOTS, Munich, I.A.)

I don't know whose reactions you're referring to, but I consider all of those masterpieces!

7 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

There seem to be a lot of people who think Spielberg should do challenging, edgy material. Despite the fact that the few times he did so the reaction was mostly lukewarm to negative. (EOTS, Munich, I.A.)

I love all three of those films, I'd like him to do more of that stuff, but a Roald Dahl children's book adaptation seems about as Spielberg-y as Spielberg-y movie ideas get...

I have nothing against the premise, which -- as you say -- is very suited for his sentiments (one side of his sentiments, anyway). I am just very skeptical to the conceptualization I see there in that trailer, and the previous one. Looks interchangeable with any CGI-heavy motion capture extravaganza I've seen from Disney in the last few years. Gaudy and campy and fake. I cling on to the hope that some of Spielberg's trademarks have sept through, but at this point I've basically given this project up. The only thing that keeps me interested is Williams' score.

Rylance looks good as the giant. But the live-action and CG elements seem pretty poorly blended. And aside from the premise, this barely looks like a Spielberg film. More like a more family friendly version of one of those live-action Disney Renaissance remakes.

Wow! This looks like it's going to have a lot of really cool moments for Williams' score to shine.

Having never read the book, I am uncertain about what to expect from the film, but I'm happy it feels like it is going to be more fantastical than I originally though. 

So, can we easily predict the themes?

- Sophie's Theme

- The BFG's Theme

- The 'evil' giant's motif

Maybe a London motif.

I love the anticipation of a new JW score a few months before its release.