The BFG FILM Discussion

Jay

29 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

What's your idea of a movie that would need Spielberg as director?

One i would like to see. One that doesn't look like 'Hook' (which, to remind our cherished dutch member, is nothing like a typical Spielberg film, more like a parody of one).

The blending of the giant's 'lair' and Sophie looks a bit dodgy to me - I hope the film won't have an overly CGI look to it.

Rylance looks absolutely perfect though, and I do get the impression that at least his face may be real, with the rest of his body (or neck) being CG.

Spielberg is like one for them, one for me. This is like one for them, but still made with obvious heart.

Spielberg's films in his mature phase have taken a different turn. Both Lincoln and Bridge of Spies are very accomplished films. But they are also about men talking in rooms and making deals and negotiating. They are about words and what they mean and how we chose them.

They are of course intelligent and adult, given to a finer appreciation of how differently motivated human beings can work together and come to terms. His mature phase films are also ever so slightly boring and there is this quality about them that Spielberg really doesn't give a fuck with the audience thinks, he is making exactly the films he wants to make.

i just wish the film industry had gone further perfecting animatronics/puppetry and just use CGI for a few touches here and there!

The creatures at Labyrinth seem to me better.

i don't know but as "perfect" as they gonna make the CGI (generally speaking) they'll never manage to add that "weight" you feel with things you can touch.

Just now, filmmusic said:

i just wish the film industry had gone further perfecting animatronics/puppetry and just use CGI for a few touches here and there!

The creatures at Labyrinth seem to me better.

i don't know but as "perfect" as they gonna make the CGI (generally speaking) they'll never manage to add that "weight" you feel with things you can touch.

I agree.  Watching the bonus features on the Force Awakens' blu-ray I was kind of amazed at how versatile physical puppets/animatronics can be, especially when simply augmented with CGI. I think certain types of characters make sense for fully CGI, but it shouldn't be the default.

20 hours ago, dfenton85 said:

So, can we easily predict the themes?

- Sophie's Theme

- The BFG's Theme

- The 'evil' giant's motif

Maybe a London motif.

I love the anticipation of a new JW score a few months before its release.

There are several travel (giants running) scenes in the book which could make for some montages. Especially excited to hear how Williams tackles the climactic scene. The book is quite short, but from watching the trailers with the book still fresh in my mind, I'd say Williams had plenty to sink his musical teeth in to. I just can't believe there's a new score so soon after The Force Awakens^.

9 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I'm wondering if Williams, aside his professionalism and craftmanship, is interested in this material.

if he was interested in revisiting Star Wars for the 7th time, and as it seems indiana jones for the 5th time, i guess this should provide something for a change so i'd say "yes"!

6 hours ago, pete said:

There are several travel (giants running) scenes in the book which could make for some montages. Especially excited to hear how Williams tackles the climactic scene. The book is quite short, but from watching the trailers with the book still fresh in my mind, I'd say Williams had plenty to sink his musical teeth in to. I just can't believe there's a new score so soon after The Force Awakens^.

Imagine this scene with a Williams score...

(In case you don't know, the clip is from a late 80s animated adaptation of the book for British TV. I loved it as a child)

Some of the comments of that video are quite interesting:

"The music in this film still gives me chills (in a good way)"

"I wish I could find a soundtrack of some of the background music"

:lol:

On 4/4/2016 at 7:34 AM, TownerFan said:

Yes, it's been confirmed that The BFG will premiere at the Cannes Film Festival (out of competition section) in May.

Official official now :P http://deadline.com/2016/04/cannes-film-festival-2016-official-selection-lineup-full-list-1201736807/

So about a month from now we'll know what the French think....

26 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Official official now :P http://deadline.com/2016/04/cannes-film-festival-2016-official-selection-lineup-full-list-1201736807/

So about a month from now we'll know what the French think....

I will actually be in Cannes this year, and I hope to get tickets to the film.

Not at all. Although it's not THAT long untill its official premiere, and I'm sure we'll get plenty of insightful reviews after the Cannes premiere.

I'm even more excited about Paul Verhoeven's ELLE, however, as well as the new films by Christian Mungiu and Andrea Arnold.

Looks like a good slate for sure! I'm excited to hear about the new Almodovar, Dardenne, Assayas, and Jarmusch films too.

Had my fingers crossed for Malick's Voyage of Time too, there were a few rumors about that. Ah well.

11 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Looks like a good slate for sure! I'm excited to hear about the new Almodovar, Dardenne, Assayas, and Jarmusch films too.

Had my fingers crossed for Malick's Voyage of Time too, there were a few rumors about that. Ah well.

I'm very excited to see a Jarmusch movie starring Adam Driver.

Wonder what part of the story that's from?

The BFG himself looks spot on IMO, and good casting for Sophie too.

There's some slightly dodgy editing in the trailer which I hope isn't representative of the film (the two shots where he grabs Sophie look weird - hopefully something has been cut for brevity there).

I hope this isn't over scored too, because the sparse nature of the animated version works so well. I think overall, if Spielberg has gotten the tone right, and Mathison has kept key elements in the screenplay, this could be really good.

There are some nice shots in the trailer that just seem primed for some JW magic, like the glowing tree at night and the BFG making those shadow paintings. And there's no way he doesn't get that whole kidnapping and traveling to the Giant country sequence pretty much all to himself, right? Could be a great cue.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to sound cynical I really don't, but in that image above the uncanny valley is very apparent to me. He doesn't look "human" to me. However that's just one shot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder how the effect will come across overall. These stills are giving me an uncanny valley vibe, but I'm still pretty impressed with the mocap on that "whisperings of the world" line in the trailer.

Also cute video of the BFG girl quizzing Spielberg on his movies:

So funny that he didn't know Temple of Doom was a prequel!

1 hour ago, Romão said:

New trailer

Looks pretty good. But no Williams music. 

The movie doesn't look like anything I would want to see. A catastrophe of CGI and awkward ugly motion capture that looks like that Zemeckis Beowulf movie. Yuck. I am, of course, judging it from a 2 minute trailer. Still, I think I got all there was to get.