Beauty and the Beast (2017 Live Action)

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I saw it. While it was nothing spectacular (and it many ways, pretty ordinary), I liked it for what it is. A live action remake of a 90s Disney cartoon.

Emma Watson was inspired casting. Ewan McGregor was fortuitous casting. Jack Black was perfect casting. The Beast was serviceable casting.Gaston? I'm not so sure. Perhaps it all came down to performance, but something seemed off.

I was really annoyed when they suddenly cut to Belle wearing flats instead of desert boots. I paid more attention to the boots than anything else in the movie when they were on screen.

I (surprisingly) found Emma Watson to be the weakest part of the film. Apart from her horribly auto tuned singing, I thought her delivery of some lines was pretty wooden. It also didn't feel like she had any chemistry with Dan Stevens.

A lot of people are criticizing Emma Watson and saying she was "autotuned" or whatever. I didn't have any issue. I thought she was lovely. The thing is, very little in the live action movie really excelled beyond the cartoon. Lumiere and LeFou are up for debate, but overall, it presented no compelling reason to remake it into a live action film with the old songs and score, except of course to replace Belle's flats with chukka boots.

20 minutes ago, Selina Kyle said:

umiere and LeFou are up for debate, but overall, it presented no compelling reason to remake it into a live action film with the old songs and score, except of course to replace Belle's flats with chukka boots.

Sadly yes:

Top Box Office (US) Weekend of March 24 - 26, 2017

Title             Weekend Gross Weeks  
MV5BMTUwNjUxMTM4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODEx                          Beauty and the Beast              $90.4M             $319.0M           2

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I agree with Ocelot that I don't understand why you would cast people in a musical who aren't singers.

Depends on the film in my opinion.  For a grand, romantic fantastical musical like this I agree that it doesn't make sense.  For musicals that are telling much more down-to-earth, "real" dramatic stories I don't mind using actors whose voices are a bit amateurish.  I think that worked wonderfully in La La Land.

Nothing in this is as bad as the insane decision to cast Russell Crowe in Les Mis.  God he was awful.

Hero of Time was ok as far as fanfilm scores go, would have preferred more uses of themes from the games.

In spain we have a voice actress doing the dialogue and a profesional singer doing the singing, for belle.

Other voice actors can sing so its the same voice.

And gaston's voice actor was casted from the Musical play.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

They have totally different personas

At least concede that they could be brothers...

THhere is some resemblance, there is no way to deny that.

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, Omen II said:

This will be getting the live to picture treatment at the Royal Albert Hall with the Philharmonia Orchestra in December this year.  Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Beauty and the Beast

Woah - that'd be awesome (except perhaps for the weirdness of the piped-in vocals). Haven't seen the film, but the new music is so frickin' terrific -- I listen to it almost every day. Hopefully the film's on Netflix soon.