'Saying the Rosary' lyrics

scissorhands

One of the best tracks in Sleepers is Saying the Rosary.

It has some chorus parts, but I can't understand what they say.

Anyone knows the lyrics of it? Or, at least, does anyone know what language it is?

Many thanks. ;)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Scissorhands, since you seem to know quite a bit about the Japanese - and because of your avatar - do you know what the Japanese think of Spielberg?

Do they think of him as a great director in the same vein as Kurosawa or even some of the great anime directors, or is he seen as an 'inferior American Director' or a typical American-sellout director (as some of my friends from China seem to think so)?

Anyone knows the lyrics of it? Or, at least, does anyone know what language it is?

Scissorhands,

Until well into the twentieth century the Roman Catholic mass was always spoken in Latin. The words that John Williams uses for this cue would have been uttered by the priest as he delivered Holy Communion to the congregation. The words are:

animam tuam in vitam aeternam corpus domini nostri Iesu Christi (custodiat)

Note that in the Saying the Rosary cue, Williams has left out the iussive subjunctive verb custodiat. In English, the words translate as:

May the body of our Lord, Jesus Christ, watch over your soul unto life everlasting.

Williams' obvious familiarity with the text of the Latin Mass and the Psalms (compare also Monsignor and Empire of the Sun) suggests to me that he was probably brought up as a Catholic. His choice of lyric for 'Sleepers' really is very clever; the increasingly distraught repetition of the word 'aeternam' (everlasting) towards the end of the cue is symbolic of how the boys' abusive treatment at Wilkinson stays with them and changes them forever.

Damien - official supplier of Latin translations to jwfan.net ;);)

First, Beowulf, I'm sorry I can't answer your question. I can only say A.I.'s success can be symbolic for an idea.

Omen II: So many thanks!!!

I assumed it was latin, but since it was sung with an english accent ;) I wasn't sure.

And you know, chorus are sometimes incomprenhensible.

Thank you for the translation too. I could have translated most of it, but my latin is not good enough for the details (f.e. I wouldn't have imagined the subjunctive of "custodio" would be the lacking verb).

Good observation on "aeternam", Omen. ;)