Top, best, favorite television themes of all time, either music or song.

JoeinAR

I'm sure we've done this, but if we have its been a long time, if we haven't then it's been too long.

It the most modern age of television where advertisement is at a premium and content is at the lowest amount of time in history, theme music and theme songs are nearing extinction.

So what's your favorites?

I still say Goldsmiths Walton theme is the best thing ever done for tv but Lost in Space Season 1 and then 3, Hawaii 5-0, and the Rockford Files. I'm partial to the Wild Wild West. Songs would include Cheers and Friends.

Check out televisiontunes.com for a lot of good memories.

Lost in Space Season 3

Land of the Giants (both themes)

I Dream of Jeannie

Six Million Dollar Man

Battlestar Galactica (original series)

The Munsters

Amazing Stories

Chips

Mash

Eight is Enough (1st Season instrumental theme)

Would it be cliche to mention Star Trek?

Hawaii 5-0

:yes:
no its iconic.

I was listening to my Nigel Hess CD the other day. He has written so many fine TV themes, many of them for programmes that almost nobody remembers (Testament, The One Game, Classic Adventure, etc.). The pick of the bunch for me is his theme for the Cornish detective series Wycliffe, with its memorable cello solo played by Anthony Pleeth. I know I post it whenever this topic comes up, so sue me.

And here is my favourite TV theme by Christopher Gunning, The Big Battalions, even if it does owe quite a lot to Ennio Morricone's The Mission.

So many catchy theme tunes have been written for sports programmes, but surely the finest from this sceptred isle still has to be Ski Sunday, no? Here is Sam Fonteyn's classic played by the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra.

My favorite theme song for a television show growing up (Reading Rainbow):

And one of my all-time favorite sci-fi themes for a show (Farscape):

Why not post the show in addition to videos.

Some won't load.

"Space: Above and Beyond" by Shirley Walker

"seaQuest DSV" by John Debney (Seasons 1 and 2)

"The Cape" by John Debney (1996 show about NASA astronauts, not the 2011 superhero show) https://youtu.be/nDV8Vaz7ymI

"The Young Riders" by John Debney https://youtu.be/klXBEhySNp4

"Due South" by Jay Semko

Winnie Cooper's Theme from "The Wonder Years" by W.G. Snuffy Walden (This was not the main theme, though)

"JAG" by Bruce Broughton was already mentioned but I like that one too.

"ER" by James Newton Howard, (Marty Davich's scores for individual episodes were great too. That is a good CD)

Someone mentioned "Knight Rider", but in my opinion the music composed by Don Peake for Seasons 2-4 was better than the main theme and season 1 music which was composed by Stu Philips.

Which brings me to what is quite possibly the greatest TV theme of all time......

"Battlestar Galactica" ! (1978) by Stu Philips.

Yeah, we've done this before. And my answer remains (as it always will) the same: Battlestar Galactica (Stu Phillips). That show got better than it deserved.

It'd be awesome if Zack Snyder used this epic theme for Superman v Batman film

IMHO Zimmer should use this

I prefer this one.

Too plodding and and uninspired. Even their heroic walk in the intro doesn't look like they're excited to be there.

Prefer the 2nd intro.

• 2 weeks later...