Thomas Newman - Bridge of Spies (2015)

crocodile

Watched Bridge of Spies today. It's a wonderful film; Spielberg is really a genius. I'd listened to Newman's score several times before watching the film, and, apart from a few tracks, I hadn't really enjoyed it that much. But watching the film gave me a new appreciation for the score. I thought the score worked really well in the film, and listening to it again on the soundtrack after seeing the movie, I rather like it.

Catch Me If You Can

By no means great or, you know, anything on the level of Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T. or Raiders, but at least it seemed his heart was in it.

I like most of his recent films to some extent, but I would agree in the sense that CMIYC was the last one for me that works pretty much completely as both entertainment and a smart, emotionally involving story. Maybe slightly overlong but something about the tone I think he got just right for what he was going for. It's a really enjoyable movie all-around, actually quite a re-watchable one....I think it's holding up rather well and fairly popular for how little it's really discussed. I've seen it referenced more and more as a novelty entry for a lot of the people involved. Spielberg having some actual fun with a drama/biopic, Williams back in jazz mode, Walken taking it seriously. It's still like DiCaprio's only movie where you can just enjoy him giving a fun, charismatic movie star performance without thinking "Oh yeah, but this guy's gonna die or go crazy at some point"

I recently revisited E.T. Other than the fantastic Williams score, it still doesn't do anything for me. I prefer his other two alien films to be honest.

You like Kingdom of the Crystal Skull that much?

No. Those were inter-dimensional beings, mister. Big difference. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Got the CD today (in a massive box, for some reason) off US Amazon. It doesn't seem to be getting European physical release... Maybe when the film is out?

Anyway, Newman thanks Williams in the booklet.

Karol

• 1 month later...

Anyone who prefers listening in chronological order, here you go: 

05 Rain (1:21)
07 The Article (1:36)
04 Standing Man (2:11)
03 Ejection Protocol (1:56)
02 Sunlit Silence (4:04)
01 Hall of Trade Unions, Moscow (0:43)
09 Private Citizen (1:35)
11 West Berlin (1:12)
12 FriedrichstraBe Station (1:26)
10 The Impatient Plan (1:35)
06 Lt. Francis Gary Powers (3:04)
08 The Wall (2:14)
13 Glienicke Bridge (10:51)
14 Homecoming (7:46)
15 Bridge of Spies (End Title) (6:57)

The OST, incidentally, is complete

Revisiting this score, I kind of wish certain tracks were heard in SPECTRE instead of Bridge of Spies. That score could have done with the moustache-twirling pulpiness of Hall of Trade Unions, Moscow, rather than the unforgivably lazy recycling of Skyfall in A Kite in a Hurricane amid anonymous Omnisphere ambience.

Fuck I hate SPECTRE.

15 hours ago, Sharky said:

Revisiting this score, I kind of wish certain tracks were heard in SPECTRE instead of Bridge of Spies. That score could have done with the moustache-twirling pulpiness of Hall of Trade Unions, Moscow, rather than the unforgivably lazy recycling of Skyfall in A Kite in a Hurricane amid anonymous Omnisphere ambience.

Fuck I hate SPECTRE.

But... you liked it.

Karol

15 hours ago, Sharky said:

Fuck I hate SPECTRE.

At long last my friend, you have seen the light!

I feel it again... the call from light. KK senses it.  Show me again the power of the SPECTRE, and I'll let nothing stand in our way. 

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

But... you liked it.

Karol

Past tense, mon ami. ;)

I can't really blame Newman for being uninspired by SPECTRE, but I miss the days of Jerry rising above the material. It seems he's so determined to not let his music sound like it's 'working too hard' that he settles for sonic wallpaper. Even Arnold managed to transcend the shittiness of Quantum of Solace. I love the little bit below. Bond does the rumba (and again at 11:52).

• 1 year later...

Sorry if this has been asked before (and it probably has), but does anybody know whether there's a special reason why Thomas Newsman thanked JW in the Bridge of Spies OS album booklet?

Special thanks to Steven Spielberg and John Williams, it says.

Did JW maybe give Newman some advice on how to score this picture? Or did JW contribute to the score in some other way? Or was this just a polite courtesy thing, because JW was originally slated to score this? 

Interesting question.

To replace another composer is, often, big news in Hollywood (ffi, see the Blade Runner 2049 debacle).

To replace JW, especially on a Spielberg film is almost unheard of.

I think that, in thanking JW, Newman was acknowledging his contribution to both the film, and the privilege of taking over the project.

I believe that JW himself suggested that Newman replace him. That's worth anyone's thanks.

Well they both told the story about how choosing Newman was "keeping it in the family" but no, they never specifically said whose idea it was to hire him.  But also, of course he thanked Williams.

9 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Sorry if this has been asked before (and it probably has), but does anybody know whether there's a special reason why Thomas Newsman thanked JW in the Bridge of Spies OS album booklet?

Special thanks to Steven Spielberg and John Williams, it says

Out of respect and general courtesy.  They go back a long way, and given the circumstances, it's a very polite and generous thing to do.  I wouldn't read too much into it.

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Or was this just a polite courtesy thing, because JW was originally slated to score this? 

This. 

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Is this just speculation, or is there an official source that confirmed this?

Williams and Spielberg have stated so many times. You can probably find the quotes earlier in the thread somewhere.