THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

16 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Oh wait. It's July not June. Darn it!

Well, 6 weeks to go then.

;)

Does anyone know if the CD is being mixed and produced by the same team for TFA? TFA's CD has an amazing sound!

18 minutes ago, RPurton said:

Does anyone know if the CD is being mixed and produced by the same team for TFA? TFA's CD has an amazing sound!

Absolutely no details about the CD have been released at all.

17 minutes ago, RPurton said:

As opposed to what?

I thought Tintin, War Horse, and KOTCS all sounded great!

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I had to vacate this place for a few weeks though. The angsty speculations regarding the film and score became off putting.

And look! Everyone is doing the same thing now!

As always, just to annoy you.

I understand when critics got upset with War Horse because I imagine a lot of people were expecting a movie more in line with Saving Private Ryan, and in the first minutes or so of War Horse you have a very up-front score. I remember a particular moment where the horse kicks the air with its back legs and Williams accentuates with a cymbal crash, which for me was quite nice, but I can absolutely understand people getting rubbed the wrong way with it.

But usually children's films get a pass on a clear and frontal score, so I'm not sure why BFG is getting the same kind of opinions War Horse got.

21 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I understand when critics got upset with War Horse because I imagine a lot of people were expecting a movie more in line with Saving Private Ryan, and in the first minutes or so of War Horse you have a very up-front score. I remember a particular moment where the horse kicks the air with its back legs and Williams accentuates with a cymbal crash, which for me was quite nice, but I can absolutely understand people getting rubbed the wrong way with it.

But usually children's films get a pass on a clear and frontal score, so I'm not sure why BFG is getting the same kind of opinions War Horse got.

Mostly because critics are stupid pee-pee heads with bad taste in film music!

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

As opposed to what?

I thought Tintin, War Horse, and KOTCS all sounded great!

KOTCS sounds anemic...Tintin and War Horse have some weird spots (over-bright woodwind solos, etc.) and there are even some moments that sound strangely like they suffer from mp3 compression. TFA doesn't have these issues, though it still doesn't rank among my favorite Williams recordings.

KOTCS had strangely flat performances, but the recording itself was decent. That Raiders March performance... :(

I can't see BFG sounding too far removed from TFA. Same scoring stage, likely many of the same musicians in the orchestra, and Murphy back doing the mix. There appears to be less of a focus on the brass from the snippets we've had?

KotCS has one of the best recordings in recent years. 

Just listen to "Whirl through Academe"! It doesn't get any clearer than that. Sure, some tracks have issues, but then it doesn't bother me at all. 

3 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

KotCS has one of the best recordings in recent years. 

Just listen to "Whirl through Academe"! It doesn't get any clearer than that. Sure, some tracks have issues, but then it doesn't bother me at all. 

I much prefer other Williams recordings...ET, TPM, Jurassic Park, just to name a few. Not that these all sound the same - far from it. But they all sound clear, confident, energetic, and pleasantly but not overly reverberant. KOTCS isn't awful by any stretch of the imagination, but something about its sound just doesn't excite me. I place some of the blame on the writing and performance, though.

I gotta admit, I was disappointed with the KotCS score when it came out, but in the last few years I've come around. There are many memorable moments, and "Jungle Chase," "Irina's Theme"(especially the expanded version from the end credits) and "Whirl through Academe" are some of my all-time favorites.

It's not among the very best JW scores, sure, but it's also far from the worst. 

2 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I gotta admit, I was disappointed with the KotCS score when it came out, but in the last few years I've come around. There are many memorable moments, and "Jungle Chase," "Irina's Theme"(especially the expanded version from the end credits) and "Whirl through Academe" are some of my all-time favorites.

It's not among the very best JW scores, sure, but it's also far from the worst. 

I appreciated the score a lot more once we got to hear the whole thing.  JW made some baffling decisions with that OST, leaving off major highlights in favor of frankly boring suspense tracks

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

I appreciated the score a lot more once we got to hear the whole thing.  JW made some baffling decisions with that OST, leaving off major highlights in favor of frankly boring suspense tracks

That's because the Complete Version is in the not-so-distant future. Hopefully. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I appreciated the whole thing even less once I heard the whole thing. The middle section of the score is seriously dreary. We need a shorter release, not a longer one.

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I appreciated the whole thing even less once I heard the whole thing. The middle section of the score is seriously dreary. We need a shorter release, not a longer one.

I think the length of the OST (77 minutes) is fine for a score of this length (over 2 hours).  You just need to swap out the suspense tracks with the full Warehouse Escape and Jungle Chase sequences, and a few other switcharoos too.

Well when it comes to TFA, the OST is just fine, but I want to hear every cue recorded someday, somehow, very much!

I think my problem is with the Rathers.  It is not a bad cue, but I really wish Williams had gone bigger.  And then, three mostly andante cues immediately follow.

The snippets of the score sound nice, and just about what I expected with this one. I'm sure it'll be enjoyable.

As always, with every new JW score, it's amusing to see folks here screaming the usual "IT'S A MASTERPIECE!!" schtick based on a minute of crappy background audio. Even more amusing is how the film critics are getting dismissed so easily when all they're doing is judging the score's purpose and context in the film, one that no one here has yet seen. But that's JWFan!

Trailer looks awful. A lot of it looks like a more polished version of The Hobbit. The live action just doesn't seem to blend in well with the CGI, and the production design seems uninspired. Then again, visual effects have just never been Spielberg's strong suit in the post-2000s.

I tried listening to the movie from the red carpet video but it was so chopped up and buried under other noises I quickly stopped.

I'll wait for actual OST samples before forming any opinion on this score.

59 minutes ago, KK said:

As always, with every new JW score, it's amusing to see folks here screaming the usual "IT'S A MASTERPIECE!!" schtick based on a minute of crappy background audio. 

WHERE did you read this..??? Is there another BFG thread I don't know about..???

Your completely one-dimensional, false sketch of this board and your 'holier than thou'-attitude is the truly amusing thing here...

I get a good vibe from the clips. I like the main theme already like I did with War Horse when we first heard the trailer

25 minutes ago, Sandor said:

WHERE did you read this..??? Is there another BFG thread I don't know about..???

Your completely one-dimensional, false sketch of this board and your 'holier than thou'-attitude is the truly amusing thing here...

Actually, this incredibly needlessly aggressive and combative response is far more amusing than anything prior....

22 minutes ago, king mark said:

I get a good vibe from the clips. I like the main theme already like I did with War Horse when we first heard the trailer

KM CALLS IT A MASTERPIECE..! Such typical JWFan-boy schtick..! Very amusing. 

Honestly, are those Marvel threads (i never frequent) or the fiftieth Star Wars spin-off speculation threads any better? The yelling and bantering actually makes the score much more interesting to me who a) is not overly interested in the movie and b) doesn't find this kind of Williams score overly stimulating, either. I am now almost hyped to hear it just to make more inane comments on irrelevant it is!

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

TFA >>>>> The BFG

I'd say there's approximately zero chance this isn't the case.  Of course, some may prefer it on a purely subjective level, either genuinely or out of a need to be contrarians.  Shouldn't be too hard to determine who is who.

13 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Actually, this incredibly needlessly aggressive and combative response is far more amusing than anything prior....

What is really needless is when people paint a cardboard image of this place, suggesting it's infested by non-critical, raving fanboys and that the ones who *can* think -the superior intellectual beings- are somehow a 'victim' of the mindless, Williams-idolating first group. 

NOBODY called anything a masterpiece based on the released clips. Nobody.

I know it, KK knows it.

Just now, Sandor said:

What is really needless is when people paint a cardboard image of this place, suggesting it's infested by non-critical, raving fanboys and that somehow the ones who *can* think -the superior intellectual beings- are somehow a 'victim' of the mindless, Williams-idolating first group. 

NOBODY called anything a masterpiece based on the released clips. Nobody.

I know it, KK knows it.

But surely you must see that reacting the way you did to what may be an unfair caricature only allows it to be perpetuated?  It is precisely this sort of response that does, somewhat justifiably, make some here feel that there is a humorless and highly self-righteous group of fanatics at JWFan prepared to zealously combat anything less than praise.  When I first came here, I noticed it.  And though I've gotten used to it, I'm positive I'm not the only one who was somewhat put off initially.