THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

11 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

I'd say there's approximately zero chance this isn't the case.  Of course, some may prefer it on a purely subjective level, either genuinely or out of a need to be contrarians.  Shouldn't be too hard to determine who is who.

Of course.  It would have to be Williams' magnum opus to top TFA.

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

True fans are always a nuisance...

There undeniably is an aura of "true fan" around some folks.  As someone who prefers, say, A.I. to E.T. and other more modern scores and concert works to the "grand classics" of the 70s and the 80s, I'm well aware that some folks don't think all JWFans are created equal.

2 hours ago, KK said:

As always, with every new JW score, it's amusing to see folks here screaming the usual "IT'S A MASTERPIECE!!" schtick based on a minute of crappy background audio. Even more amusing is how the film critics are getting dismissed so easily when all they're doing is judging the score's purpose and context in the film, one that no one here has yet seen. But that's JWFan!

It's more amusing to see certain folks here screaming the usual "IT SUCKS, IT'S NOT MEMORABLE!!' based on those same crappy clips. That's JWFan.

Just now, hornist said:

It's more amusing to see certain folks here screaming the usual "IT SUCKS, IT'S NOT MEMORABLE!!' based on those same crappy clips. That's JWFan.

Who said that?

Sandor, I was naturally exaggerating with that quote, as it was more a reference to the effusive praise that the tiniest snippet gets around here. And anything less than the utmost enthusiasm is met with damnation by the "JWFan purists".

Heck, I don't think anyone here has actually said anything particularly negative about the clips (I myself, said I enjoyed it), and already hornist and company have come in to question the true loyalty of JWFan.

And just to make it clear, when I said "crappy audio clips" I was referring to the sound quality.

Well, someone said that it is no memorable. I mean in general people like to be negative here of those crappy clips. First comments of the "jedi steps" clip was like "disappointment, bad, too simple" etc. And what a nice music it is in context. (and me, marcus and few other were the only ones who said it johnny's)

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I appreciated the score a lot more once we got to hear the whole thing.  JW made some baffling decisions with that OST, leaving off major highlights in favor of frankly boring suspense tracks

A true test of the score is of course how it plays in the film and KOTCS score plays like gangbusters in the film. Like the Jungle Chase, the scene comes alive due to the dueling statements of all the themes. Irina's theme does a lot to enhance her personality and menace in the film.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

A true test of the score is of course how it plays in the film and KOTCS score plays like gangbusters in the film. Like the Jungle Chase, the scene comes alive due to the dueling statements of all the themes. Irina's theme does a lot to enhance her personality and menace in the film.

It's a true test of its functionality as a film score, but y'know, quite a few of us do like to listen to these things on their own... ;)

I'll agree about the jungle chase sequence, though - it's still no Raiders, but it sports some of the film's most enthusiastic writing.

Thor would never make a person buy an expanded score. Album is enough.

I really like the movie (Tom Mankiewicz's script combines wit and romance rather beautifully) but the score so ruined it for me i dreamed of Williams/Goldsmith cues for certain scenes for years. Apparently everyone begged Donner to take the score out but he refused. Good for some, bad for many.

The lacklustre album presentation did first impressions of the score no favours. So many score highlights left off the album, in favour of track after track of uninteresting underscore. Combine the highlights from Orellana's Cradle, Oxley's Dilemma, Grave Robbers and Secret Doors And Scorpions into a single track, make room for more Jungle Chase and Nevada music, and it's a much more dynamic album.

Not worth losing any sleep over though, for obvious reasons! :)

4 hours ago, publicist said:

I really like the movie (Tom Mankiewicz's script combines wit and romance rather beautifully) but the score so ruined it for me i dreamed of Williams/Goldsmith cues for certain scenes for years. Apparently everyone begged Donner to take the score out but he refused. Good for some, bad for many.

Donner usually makes good choices when it comes to his scores. But not on Ladyhawke.

11 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I don't.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

When I watch that film, all I hear, musically, is "Silence, And I".

More praise for that "Dream Country" sequence

A particularly standout visual-accomplishment comes when the BFG takes Sophie to Dream Country to help him capture the ember-like dreams that whisk around under the reflection of stunning lake set atop a mountain.

It’s a whimsical poetic triumph that just gets everything perfect from the plinky-plunky John Williams score to the choice of lighting and the stunning visuals – it’s as if the director takes us through the looking-glass and we’re walking with him in tandem through the subconscious.

I found this...

plinky = high-pitched (perhaps metallic) and staccato - think of hitting the same very high key on a piano a few times.
plunky = lower pitched and staccato - think of the noise a smallish stone makes when dropped into a well.

The juxtaposition of the fancy establishment and having both her Highness and her Corgis become subjected to uncontrollable musical-gas is nothing short of comedic-brilliance.

So.... a fart cue by Johnny?

3 hours ago, Tom said:

Harp and more harp?

My guess/hope is for the harp/piano/vibraphone/crotales/celesta thing he does.  One of my favorite Williams colors when it carries nice jazzy harmonies.

I heard some dingy-things and bells in the Cannes premiere video, albeit buried in the mix so that might be what the critic is referring to.  It sounded very much in line with the technique he uses in the opening of The Terminal's "The Fountain Scene" and many other scores.

Unfortunately, I do think A.I. will remain Williams' last true masterpiece, but I'll be damned if he hasn't had more than a handful of brilliant scores since, with many brilliant works to come.

A.I. just holds a very special place in my heart that I don't think any score can replace at this point. Utterly sublime.