THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

3 hours ago, ocelot said:

iTunes usually does most of their releases on Tuesdays. That's when I get all my things that I preorder be it movies, tv series or music.

In the summer of 2015, the US music industry changed the new release day from Tuesdays to Fridays. 

On 25-6-2016 at 4:17 AM, Booplor said:

Here's some B-roll from the movie.  The last 2 minutes are John conducting the score.

I so hate this. I don't have absolute pitch, but I did hear that the harpist was strumming a B-flat at 6:01.

On 6/25/2016 at 3:17 AM, Booplor said:

Here's some B-roll from the movie.  The last 2 minutes are John conducting the score.

min 5:42 quite spoiling at least for me, as I wasn't expecting Qui Gon Jinn in this movie :P

Praise from USA Today (throwing in the typical "not his best" caveat)

John Williams composes a sprawling, effervescent score that, while not his best, certainly captures the musical magic that makes his partnership with Spielberg so special.

Chicago Tribune likes the music but also thinks there's too much of it. Also mentions two (presumably) source music cues shared with Barry Lyndon? Maybe Handel in the Queen's palace?

Spielberg tips his hat to all sorts of earlier filmmakers, usually on the fly, from Hitchcock (a close-up of Sophie's eyeglasses recalls a shot from "Strangers on a Train") to Kubrick (not one but two musical selections come from the same classical songlist "Barry Lyndon" used). Most of the music is original, composed by John Williams, writing some of his most delicate and intriguing material in a while. Yet the sheer volume of scoring works against the magic.

Yet the sheer volume of scoring works against the magic.

:joy:

I find Williams' comments that this score is like ballets and musical theatre very intriguing. It sounds like in his mind this score is really unique in his oeuvre. 

I'm bracing for a Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone situation with this score

I remember the heartbreak of seeing HPSS in the theater and noticing all those great cues that weren't on the c.d.

43 minutes ago, king mark said:

I'm bracing for a Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone situation with this score

I remember the heartbreak of seeing HPSS in the theater and noticing all those great cues that weren't on the c.d.

I had the same fear leading up to TFA but thankfully the OST was pretty great and the rapid release of the FYC helped also (still would love the Falcon crash landing cue though).

For The BFG, there is obviously going to be a lot of unreleased cues but I'm hoping there won't be any massive holy grails and the unreleased stuff will be relatively uninteresting underscore.

As long as there aren't major renditions of the thematic material or some kick-ass action music omitted, I think I'll be satisfied. We'll find out soon....

I just noticed that The BFG opens this week in the US but doesn't open for another three weeks in UK. I'll be keeping an eye here for you guys' reports on missing music.

The film is 117 minutes long.  The OST is 65 minutes long.

Out of the 52 minute difference, its unlikly every single minute of that has underscore.  There could only be 20-30 minutes of unreleased music.  And maybe Williams chose all the best highlights for the OST and the unreleased music is the least interesting.  Who knows.

if all the music on the OST is amazing that would be a warning sign that all the unreleased music is great too

So if it's a great Williams album were screwed!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The film is 117 minutes long.  The OST is 65 minutes long.

Out of the 52 minute difference, its unlikly every single minute of that has underscore.  There could only be 20-30 minutes of unreleased music.

But Williams said he wrote two hours of music for the film...

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

0% chance, as usual. But you will get it 20 years from now.

The re-use and licencing fees are certainly cheaper after 20 years. Pencil it in for 2036, folks!

"The score from John Williams is serviceable but manages to feel like a re-tread of previous works." -Tom Magazine

http://www.tommagazine.com.au/2016/06/30/the-bfg/

Only review of the movie that negatively (ish) mentions the score. All other reviews seem positive (music wise)

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Parents will look at you suspiciously....

especially if he tells people he is from "Funland." 

I could've seen this film about 14 hours ago in Australia -- alas, I didn't.

In fact, I don't think this will be a cinema experience at all, despite the promising music. Would feel a little odd sitting in a cinema surrounded by children.

Well, it would cost me $10. I suppose I could see it in the morning if I wake up early enough.

Funny to think how desperately I want to hear new Williams music, yet I'm too lazy to see the film which is freely showing.

Any luck finding a brick and mortar store at Tampere that would carry the BFG soundtrack Pasi?

13 hours ago, JacksonElmore said:

We're getting a new john williams album and all you are worrying about is possible unreleased music. Come on man

The new score anxiety is real. 

yes, well it's been part of the deal for the past few decades

Still remember Return of the Jedi and Temple of Doom, Hook...

I'll be nice to listen to the new c.d., but after a week or so we'll all be focused on the unreleased music

Also sad is that it's likely the LAST Williams score written in that style

The vast majority of people became Williams fans because of these type of scores

At least I've never heard people say they've had their Williams revelation with Saving Private Ryan or Minority Report

What's wrong with watching a film with, or, at least alongside, children, and families? I enjoy watching children's reactions to films. I also enjoy being around childrden. Besides, I have a vested interest in pieces of entertainment aimed for children.

I saw the movie Tuesday night.  It's a bit on the mediocre side, I'm sad to say.  Parts of it work really well -- Rylance is terrific, as is the little girl playing Sophie -- but there's something about it that keeps it from ever really taking flight.  It feels to me like Spielberg has lost his touch for this sort of movie; maybe it's just a temporary thing, or maybe he's just more interested in grown-up stuff.  Not a bad movie by any means, just not the magic I was hoping for.

The score is very good.  I'm bad at paying attention to a movie's music the first time I see it, but it stood out to me here in several places.  I'm looking forward to having the soundtrack.

On June 28, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Jay said:

In the summer of 2015, the US music industry changed the new release day from Tuesdays to Fridays. 

I'm so old.....

1 hour ago, king mark said:

Fuck now you guys are worried other people will think you a pedophile if you go see this in the theater?

Not in LA thankfully, there'll be more adults than kids probably. Although I still have to see Warcraft and Finding Dory first....

I'm surprised that the OST doesn't seem be up for sale digitally in any country yet - even though it is now July 1 in many places - and even more so that there isn't a single review of the OST online anywhere yet either.

I guess Disney chose to not send out promotional copies to anyone!