THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

After a first listen, really enjoyed it.  The main theme is one JW's better ones in recent years.  I think I like it more than any of the new themes in TFA.  "Sophie's Future" is gorgeous.

I wonder if people are feeling closer to this score on first listen than TFA because it's a more familiar sound? TFA surprised me by taking some different musical directions and I felt a bit alienated the first time I listened to it yet now it's easily one of my favourite scores of all time. With that movie there's not one cue of which isn't memorable.

In terms of the BFG I think it's got some beautiful orchestral textures, that violin section in Dream Country made me feel very emotional (I believe it was in one of the previews?) but sadly that was the only moment apart from the glorious rendition of the main theme. I kept sub-consciously connecting a lot of the tracks to Harry Potter to the point it made me want to go listen to those again which offer a lot more distinguished tracks/themes and emotional moments for me. That being said I haven't seen the score in context, and I'm fairly sure all of my favourite scores have to do with a love for the source material so who knows. 

I didn't quite understand the criticism either, but it's certainly a specific type of score and if you don't like the whimsy/cartoony stuff from Williams, I can see why you wouldn't like it.

That said, after my first listen, I loved it! So many interesting thematic ideas (that admittedly aren't developed in great depth, but are still quite memorable). Also felt like a perfect album selection to me, with a great sprinkling of highlights throughout.

Williams seems to be favouring the shorter thematic ideas in this stage of his writing. Sophie's Theme, the Giants Theme, the Queen's Theme (?), Poe's Theme, Finn's Theme, Kylo Ren's Themes, Tintin's Theme.. they're more like extended motifs than long-lined themes. Only Rey's Theme and Snowy's Theme spring to mind with their concert suite presentations elaborating on his ideas for the characters.

Maybe Williams just has such a bounty of musical ideas he wants to get off his chest with every film, and this style of writing allows him to express all those ideas (but at the expense of thematic development across the score?)

JW himself desribed his score as a "ballet". It's really the impression it gave me after listening to the half of the album (I've stoped it!).

It looks like a movie with a collection of little short scenes (and fart scenes)... with more or less connection between them... so not much narrative progression.

I have the feeling I will buy this CD because I'm forced to.

Please tell me the giant dies at the end...

20 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Yes!!!

20160701_182915.jpg

Please tell me what score do you have between Nixon and Sleepers??? :blink:

8 hours ago, king mark said:

I think it's the "b" section of the main theme because they flow one into the other sometimes

If Williams wrote a real concert version it probably have the 2 themes

Hm. Possibly, but I hear it as a very distinct theme.

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Please tell me what score do you have between Nixon and Sleepers??? :blink:

The Lost World in the jewel case ;)

45 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

The Lost World in the jewel case ;)

...at the wrong place!

31 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

It sort of feels like a fake-out coming from John Williams, essentially asking us to enjoy the buildup for its own sake....the musical equivalent of blueballs. The score has a handful of moments like this, never quite fully blossoming but instead turning its attention to something else at the last second or just deflating.

yes, it build up to what you'd expect to be a big rendition of the main theme but then it just stops

There's a similar frustrating moment with the other theme  in The Boys Drawing at 1.30. it's a bit longer moment but...

There's nothing in this score like the climax of Plowing from War Horse. I expect at least one such moment in any JW score

I love the magical theme in "To Giant Country" (0:54), quite potter-ish! 

The end of Overture reminds me of E.T.s Halloween (concert version), Williams at its best!

The Finale is wonderful. It has a very strong "Lincoln feeling" I think. BTW, the Main Theme from the BFG is quite similar to 'With Malice Toward None' from Lincoln imo (the first 5 notes or so), but has a total different feeling. 

BFG has some very nice highlights (Giants Netted, Dream Jars, Building Trust, Sophie's Future, Snoring and Sniffing). I have to say I love it already and I'm sure it will grow on me in the next couple of weeks. :)

I have difficulties with the cohabitation of the very soft passages and some very heavy ones. A Ballet we said?

Tchaikovsky, are you there?

English_ouija_board.jpg

On 3/18/2015 at 8:50 AM, someonefun124 said:

I'm not holding my breath. Williams was confirmed for the Bridge of Spies, too.

Last Chance Saloon for both Spielberg AND Williams.
If BFG doesn't fly , like expected, well...........( fill in the blank )

Williams starts writing Ready Player One in 4 months with no scheduling conflicts.

Whether or not he scores both SW VIII and KOEM is another story. It will only happen if he can start VIII fairly early next year, as he'll likely need a 4 month writing/recording block.

Well JJ was cutting right to the end in a pretty unconventional manner. Unfortunately there's the Disney Executives factor here, far more worrisome after the Rogue One episode. Johnson doesn't have the clout of Abrams and if executives want something changed then he'll struggle to fight them.

He certainly won't have the creative freedom of Looper or Breaking Bad. Hopefully he'll at least assemble a complete rough cut after production wraps, rather than reel-by-reel like Abrams. My intuition says that Abrams was afforded whatever post-production workflow he asked for, but Disney will likely expect a complete cut from Johnson before the end of '16.

Let's hope! This will mean Williams will write the score in only a month or so, so there will be less rejected music, less tampering with the cues etc etc.

The problem with having a long scoring schedule is that it also gives the director a lot of time to mess with things. See TFA, or see the LOTR and Hobbit films!

If Williams starts working on Episode VIII in January, he should be handed a very definitive cut. The movie wraps film on July 22nd

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Unfortunately there's the Disney Executives factor here, far more worrisome after the Rogue One episode. Johnson doesn't have the clout of Abrams and if executives want something changed then he'll struggle to fight them.

I do want to point out that it may well have been Kathleen Kennedy and Lucasfilm people who called for the Rogue One reshoots, not their big bosses at Disney. We don't really know; there are so many conflicting reports. But your point stands: there are probably going to be some executives, whether inside Lucasfilm or even higher up at Disney headquarters, who want certain things done and the director will have to obey. 

yes, full of nice moments l that aren't developed into anything

William's done the meandering twinkly underscore before. Pete in Heaven from Always. Never found it a memorable track

yes me too.

What's the instruments that play Sophie's theme at the beginning of Sophie's Future

Woodwinds but what?

10 minutes ago, king mark said:

yes, full of nice moments l that aren't developed into anything

William's done the meandering twinkly underscore before. Pete in Heaven from Always. Never found it a memorable track

I disliked that cue -- and anything resembling it in the ALWAYS score -- for a great many years. In fact, it was one of the reasons I disliked that score (beyond the excellent and more immediate "Dorinda's Solo Flight" and "Follow Me"). However, the kind of abstract, texture-based writing in that cue has grown on me considerably over the years, as I've veered more and more towards that landscape. And yes -- I hear a similar approach in some BFG cues, like the "Dream Country" one.

7 minutes ago, king mark said:

yes me too.

What's the instruments that play Sophie's theme at the beginning of Sophie's Future

Woodwinds but what?

Could it be Flute and Clarinet?

Maybe Flutes in octaves...

Normally, I await in-depth listening untill I have the physical CD, but I haven't even ordered it yet. Instead, I've been listening to it on Spotify 5-6 times, and it's growing on me. The first impression was already better than with TFA, so this bodes well. Whimsical or not, there are some strong thematic cores here; and the 'concert music'-like segments (like the "flute concerto" that is "Dream Jars") is a new direction for Williams. I've rarely heard him do this before.

21 minutes ago, Thor said:

Normally, I await in-depth listening untill I have the physical CD, but I haven't even ordered it yet. 

I too was hoping to have my first complete listen be on the CD, but alas mine apparently will not arrive until Tuesday so I decided not to wait and just go the digital route.