THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

25 minutes ago, Will said:

Whoops. Typing this on my phone. :)

@Marcus

Wow, that's really cool! I assume when you say Williams used a waltz you are referencing the giant country theme? Or is there another example?

Yes, that's the waltz I was referring to (although I suspect it's more a 'traveling theme' for the BFG's gait than a theme for Giant Country). 

Another waltz is the theme some refer to as the 'Fury theme', as it consists of minor chord arpeggios with an added 6th. It is of course entirely possible to view the two as the A and B themes of the same waltz...

Gosh, I really need to see this again. The first time was on opening day, when I hadn't listened to the OST other than previews, and I left the cinema overall unimpressed with the score. Now I am very impressed with the score and want to have a chance to experience the music in context while already knowledgeable about the score. I would be able to better analyze things like thematic associations and unreleased music.

12 minutes ago, Will said:

Gosh, I really need to see this again. The first time was on opening day, when I hadn't listened to the OST other than previews, and I left the cinema overall unimpressed with the score. Now I am very impressed with the score and want to have a chance to experience the music in context while already knowledgeable about the score. I would be able to better analyze things like thematic associations and unreleased music.

definitely do it man. ay attention to the score especially in the first act. You will notice how cues are shortened and edited for the album, and how touching the friendship theme can be. One of my favorite moments in the film after watching it again is the music that underscores BFG's hand reaching into the orphanage in the very beginning. Instead of doing cliché build up music (which is what most other composers would have done), Williams explores  this enchanting and fun sound. it's really adventurous and fun

Where scene the heroic rendition of the Friendship Theme in The Boys Drawing score in the film?

i don't remember it during the movie

15 hours ago, king mark said:

Where scene the heroic rendition of the Friendship Theme in The Boys Drawing score in the film?

i don't remember it during the movie

It plays as the BFG finally gains the courage to kick the bad giants out of his house. I think maybe he sets them on fire using a stick of some sort? I can't remember for sure. Anyway, that scene's one reason I think perhaps that theme is actually for the BFG.

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Call me unabashedly apologetic Williams fan any time you want, but this morning I listened to BFG after several days of leaving it alone and I felt so excited and joyful. It's quite impressive we're still getting new music from him and that he still sounds so fresh and youthful. And so, Thank you, Maestro, for giving us another treasured gift :)

Yes you are a quite unabashed JW apologist but surely we here at JWfan can let that slide. ;) 

I am enjoying the score more than when I first heard it and actually quite a few moments have been playing persistently in my head during the last couple of days. For some reason I can't get those rhythmic jaunty woodwinds from To Giant Country out of my mind.

Are you talking about the same buildup that opens The Queen's Dream and also appears in the end credits?

I don't think this ostinato-drive is entirely unheard in JW's previous works, especially since it has become so prevalent in film music in the post 2000 period, where all the propulsion and energy are usually generated by such devices.

I haven't listened to this score album in its entirety since the day it came out on Spotify (11 days ago?). But the main theme is growing on me.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I haven't listened to this score album in its entirety since the day it came out on Spotify (11 days ago?). But the main theme is growing on me.

Karol

Cool! 

But you only listened to it on the first day and then gave up?

The first couple of days really. Friday and Saturday. And then an odd track here and there. But I generally don't listen to something before getting a CD. Unless it's for review purposes or something.

Karol

On 7/13/2016 at 2:40 AM, Incanus said:

I don't think this ostinato-drive is entirely unheard in JW's previous works, especially since it has become so prevalent in film music in the post 2000 period, where all the propulsion and energy are usually generated by such devices.

There's something a little similar in Potter 1 I think. Diagon Alley?

Anyway, the BFG bit has grown on me a lot. When I first heard it, in the film, I thought it was really generic and disappointing. But as I've listened more I've found that's it's actually rather intelligently constructed and interesting. 

4 hours ago, Will said:

Anyway, the BFG bit has grown on me a lot. When I first heard it, in the film, I thought it was disappointing. But as I've listened more I've found that's it's actually rather intelligently constructed and interesting. 

Same with me since Lincoln actually. Do you think this is what it's going to be like from now on?

1 hour ago, JacksonElmore said:

Same with me since Lincoln actually. Do you think this is what it's going to be like from now on?

Actually, I was referring specifically to the ostinato that introduce the nightmare theme in a few instances. But what I said is still mostly true when discussing the score as a whole. :)

I won't attempt to predict the future here. I personally don't have much to go on, since TFA was the first JW score released during my time as a serious fan, making BFG only the second. But I will say that both scores definitely grew on me. For instance, when listening to the TFA OST in my first experience with the score (other than TV spots, etc.), when I came to "Han and Leia," the first major appearance of MOTR, I found it immensely disappointing. It had been the theme I was most excited about, I think, and it was a real let down. Now I could listen to that moment repeatedly and still love it! 

With BFG I think the main set of warm themes was something I enjoyed right away, although certainly I like them even more now, and there were other moments for which I felt the same, but a lot has grown on me, including the giant country and bad giant material.

I think there have been quite a few Williams scores over the years that need some familiarity to yield up their deepest treasures and can come across as perplexing otherwise.  TFA is probably the most visible and widespread example of course because it's a Star Wars score. 

Since when are ostinatos being associated primarily with Hans Zimmer? For example, I was listening to Wagner's Das Rheingold today en route to Madrid and noticed how much repetition of the scherzando "anvil" motif there's to be heard in the musical act that takes place inside their lair.

Zimmer didn't even really start doing it extensively until 2005 or so anyway.  By then Williams had already explored certain strains of minimalism like that several times.

Just came back from seeing the film. The score works very well to create that fairytale atmosphere in the film and gives it that Disney-esque cinematic glow.

Some smaller cues are indeed missing from the OST with renditions of the main themes, some micro-edits are made to the cues on the album, which is nothing new but I have always been curious why JW has the habit of cutting 5 second passages. E.g. he removed from the opening half of the Witching Hour a small moment without much reason. Also Maestro is a master of removing wonderful stuff with his micro-edits. At least one gorgeous woodwind passage in the middle of the score (in Building Trust IIRC) was again cut without any apparent reason and it could not have lasted more than 10 to 30 seconds.

As many have already confirmed the Dream Jars opening flute section interplay is nowhere to be found in the film and only the harp section of the cue is retained in the scene.

I think my appreciation for the score after seeing the film rose somewhat too. :) 

2 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I think my appreciation for the score after seeing the film rose somewhat too. :) 

That is always the case with me with JW scores (or any scores, really)

Some classical radios like KBAQ, WQXR or Classic FM love John Williams' music and play it regularly. When a new score is out they chose some highligts and integrate them to the programmation.  Since TFA went out, they played Rey's Theme, Scherzo and Finn's Confession. Rey's Theme can still be heard from time to time.

Here are the songs they integrated so far from The BFG:

NOTHING.

I know this mean nothing, but hey they integrated tracks from Lincoln, War Horse, Tintin and Book thief to their programmation...

Here's the complete list of these tracks than can be heard on those radios. Yeah It makes a sort of "best of", maybe pointing out some tracks that have some "classical values" and containing some interesting covers.

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I just love that emotional piano performance in "Finale."  I assume that's Gloria Cheng playing?  Either way, it's wonderful.

The album lists four players for keyboards, the usual JW sessions suspects, Randy Kerber, Michael Lang, Alan Steinberger and Gloria Cheng. And it is indeed musically such a lovely quiet happy storybook ending.

On 7/3/2016 at 2:42 AM, alextrombone94 said:

Also depends on Rian Johnson's editing style.

Used to be that a picture got LOCKED in order for the music to be added.

In the NOW, though, that means every director that is INSECURE can change their plans in an INSTANT! No thanks to "DIGITAL TECH!"

And WHAT composer would WANT to work for someone like THAT?

I , certainly would NOT, and THAT is the summation of TODAYS tech and TODAYS way of doing business.

The DIRECTOR , simply CANNOT make up his or her mind on a "Final Cut".

And for the stated ABOVE, THIS is why composers, are going to tell DIRECTORS......to FUCK OFF!!!!!!!!!!

I'v really come around to love this score, but listening to the album all the way through is sometimes a little tedious. I find from overture to frolic very enjoyable to hear again and again, but it really starts to take a dip from Blowing Dreams-The boy's drawings (besides sophie's future). The last 4 tracks are great but the mid section of the album is hard to get through for me. If i listen to blowing dreams-the boy's drawings on it's own i don't have an issue, but in terms of listening from beginning to end  i find that stretch of the album almost boring. 

10 minutes ago, JacksonElmore said:

I'v really come around to love this score, but listening to the album all the way through is sometimes a little tedious. I find from overture to frolic very enjoyable to hear again and again, but it really starts to take a dip from Blowing Dreams-The boy's drawings (besides sophie's future). The last 4 tracks are great but the mid section of the album is hard to get through for me. If i listen to blowing dreams-the boy's drawings on it's own i don't have an issue, but in terms of listening from beginning to end  i find that stretch of the album almost boring. 

Huh. I certainly don't find that part or the album as a whole especially boring, although listening to any album straight through starts to get a bit tedious no matter how good the music is.

16 hours ago, Will said:

Huh. I certainly don't find that part or the album as a whole especially boring, although listening to any album straight through starts to get a bit tedious no matter how good the music is.

yeah, if i listen to it on it's own i certainly don't mind it, but it does certainly dip for me a little bit at least comparatively speaking to the first half.

However I really like how he's set up this album. We hear Sophie's theme a LOT (or whatever you want to call the main theme) but it's spaced out in a way where it's not too much. One thing i will never understand is why a composer like Giacchino, who clearly puts enough thought into making an album (hence the damn puns), has the first 6 tracks of the first Star Trek score contain the main theme. Maybe it's just me, but i always find it annoying when i'm listening to a soundtrack and the main theme/any theme is played too much, it takes so much away from the redeeming qualities of it. It's like "oh my fuck, AGAIN?"

one prime example of this is Hedwig's theme in HPSS. It's in like the first 5 tracks. Maybe for the first listen through it's played just enough so you can really get the hang of it, but it's hell imo to re listen to that album. First few time's hearing it is awesome and I still get the chills sometimes, and then it's almost comically repetitive. 

So far, Classical FM aired three cues from The BFG, that's great!

The BFG - Sophie's Future

The BFG - Blowing Dreams

and...

The BFG - Dream Jars

:)

Okay, I'll get used to it.... I'll get used to it...

27 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

It's a decent and balanced review that I largely agree with, but, holy shit, that white text on black is grating on the eyes.

I always copy-paste the text in Word!