THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jay

There is a printer friendly version available with every review at Filmtracks, which inverts the site colours and makes reading these longer reviews bearable.

Like SO.

Clemmenson's review is pretty good although I was disappointed that he didn't spend very much time discussing the warmer themes. Even for those who don't like whimsical, there are plenty of gorgeous passages to love. One such lovely idea was simply referenced as an offshoot of the main theme and wasn't mentioned beyond that.

After listening to this album a ton when it first came out and then just randomly over the last few weeks, I think my opinion has pretty much settled. Similar to my initial reaction, it's a fun, light album with lots of entertaining musical moments and great, colorful orchestrations. I find it similar to Tintin in that there isn't any one particular track I listen to over and over again and no real emotional peaks, but just an overall enjoyable score that doesn't cover much new ground for JW.

4 hours ago, artguy360 said:

After listening to this album a ton when it first came out and then just randomly over the last few weeks, I think my opinion has pretty much settled. Similar to my initial reaction, it's a fun, light album with lots of entertaining musical moments and great, colorful orchestrations. I find it similar to Tintin in that there isn't any one particular track I listen to over and over again and no real emotional peaks, but just an overall enjoyable score that doesn't cover much new ground for JW.

But, but... Tintin is full of memorable tracks! 

2000-2010 was indeed his best decade. But then... so was 1990-2000. Not to mention 1980-1990!

But that leaves out 1970-1980 and that cannot be. Let's include that one as well.

So the only years since 1970 that are then excluded are 2010-2020. But that is just because we're not at the end yet. ;)

41 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

2000-2010 was indeed his best decade. But then... so was 1990-2000. Not to mention 1980-1990!

But that leaves out 1970-1980 and that cannot be. Let's include that one as well.

So the only years since 1970 that are then excluded are 2010-2020. But that is just because we're not at the end yet. ;)

Everything is awesome!

5 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

Everything is awesome!

You stole my line!

My opinion  hasn't changed after multiple listens

This score is like going to a restaurant and getting only an appetizer and no main course

4 hours ago, king mark said:

My opinion  hasn't changed after multiple listens

This score is like going to a restaurant and getting only an appetizer and no main course

Yeah. I received my CD album weeks and and still haven't listened to it in full.

Karol

Hi everyone,

Has anyone in Australia found the BFG CD in Australian music stores? I've regularly been checking websites of our two major music retailers - JB Hi -Fi & Sanity -  and on fishpond.com.au but see no listing of it, nor is it in stock when I look in-store.

Should I be looking elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Peter

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Just order it online and have it shipped to your house.  It's 2016!

Yes you have a point, but I just wanted to support a local business where I could (and not have to wait days til it arrived :) )

I suspect Australian retailers just aren't interested in selling this, given the film's lacklustre performance :(

Thanks anyway. :)

8 hours ago, king mark said:

I had a lot of trouble finding it n Canada

Clearly HRH was not impressed with the way she was depicted in the movie and as a counter-measure has decreed for all countries of the Commonwealth not to stock the CD. Let's get our countries' respective prime ministers to have a word in HRH's ear about this at the next CHOGM :) 

14 hours ago, king mark said:

I had a lot of trouble finding it n Canada

I bought it on Amazon, as my favorite local store didn't have it the day it came out.

I tell the men who worked there, that they saw me in their store for the last time (and that I was sorry because they will lose their jobs).

:pfft:

JW seemed to have taken a lot of inspiration from this piece of music for The BFG. The last two minutes are very similar to "Frolic".

• 2 months later...

So, several months later, and the price on THE BFG soundtrack is still soaring high on all the online stores I use. No dip. Weird. First time I've seen this after such a long time. Can't get it below $17-18 with shipping. Can anyone recommend a good CD store online that is likely to have bargains? I don't mind getting it used.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

So, several months later, and the price on THE BFG soundtrack is still soaring high on all the online stores I use. No dip. Weird. First time I've seen this after such a long time. Can't get it below $17-18 with shipping. Can anyone recommend a good CD store online that is likely to have bargains? I don't mind getting it used.

You really can't afford the BFG CD at the regular price? Are times that tough?

Yes. Extremely tough.

I can no longer afford full-price CD's (and especially not Norwegian retail, which is some $22 -- and that's converted from poor Norwegian exchange rates, so it's more expensive than how it comes off to Americans). Only bargains.

Check Amazon. It's 9.99 brand-new, but there are even cheaper used options available. I don't think you can get cheaper than that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BFG-John-Williams/dp/B01EX1AUL0/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1478266975&sr=1-7&keywords=the+BFG

40 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Check Amazon. It's 9.99 brand-new, but there are even cheaper used options available. I don't think you can get cheaper than that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BFG-John-Williams/dp/B01EX1AUL0/ref=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1478266975&sr=1-7&keywords=the+BFG

Thank you. With the shipping it's 12 pounds ($14), and still on the expensive side for me, believe it or not. But I'm looking into maybe buying it from the 'used' section there.

• 5 weeks later...

What the hell is up with this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_BFG_(2016_film)#Deleted_Songs

Perhaps those were on some foreign site on the OST tracklist at one point (i.e. they were planned to be on the OST) and then were badly translated to English?

I don't know, Will.

I've only listened to this once or twice on Spotify (back when it was made available there), but I ordered the album a few days ago -- finally found it at a price I could afford -- so I'll delve into it properly when it arrives.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

What a weird thing to decide to fake on Wikipedia.  

Indeed. That almost does make me wonder if there's some truth to this track list ...

This is very mystifying. 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The only thing I've ever "faked" on Wikipedia was adding myself to the Notable Residents section of my home town's page with a ridiculous reason for my notability ("world-renowned yodeler", etc.).

:lol:

This whole thing just gets even weirder. Here's the full code:

===Deleted Songs===
{{Track listing
| collapsed      = 
| headline       = 
| total_length   = 387 seconds
| title1         = Precious Girl
| artist1         = [[Mark Rylance]]
| length1        = 2:28
| title2         = I Strike Now
| artist2        = [[Jemaine Clement]]
| length2        = 2:04
| title3         = Dream Country
| artist3         = Mark Rylance and [[Ruby Barnhill]]
| length3        = 2:33
| title4         = The Queen's Dream
| artist4         = Mark Rylance and Ruby Barnhill
| length4        = 1:39
| title5         = Welcome Song
| artist5         = Mark Rylance, Ruby Barnhill, [[Penelope Wilton]], [[Rebecca Hall]] and [[Rafe Spall]]
| length5        = 3:29
| title6         = Finale
| artist6        = Ruby Barnhill
| length6        = 1:14
}}

Notice that it is not Williams listed as the artist for any, but rather members of the cast. Furthermore, the cast members listed for each song/piece line up exactly with the characters who would logically be in the corresponding scenes. 

I know this would be totally crazy but is there any chance that the cast recorded songs (i.e. this was sort of a musical film at first) but then they were rejected? But, I mean, no, why would everyone keep that secret?

But also, why the heck would you fake this?! Nothing adds up!

I suppose this is certainly a fake, though ... especially given the Wikipedia user's history of them. 

Maybe they entertained narrated versions of some cues on an earlier version of the soundtrack, but scrapped it at the last minute?

A bit like Angela's Ashes or War of the Worlds with the Morgan Freeman narration?

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Maybe they entertained narrated versions of some cues on an earlier version of the soundtrack, but scrapped it at the last minute?

A bit like Angela's Ashes or War of the Worlds with the Morgan Freeman narration?

Ah, maybe that's it. Or the person could just have put up fake info. 

4 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah, I thought that too, but I don't really remember the phrases "Precious girl" or "I strike now" from the dialogue. Only saw it once, though.

In theory, it's possible that a foreign site might have put up an early tracklist, and that these titles are English translations (because those titles sound awkward, a little like "cellar song," if you remember). 

You're right that those specific phrases are not in the English dialogue. 

2 minutes ago, ChewyBomber said:

"Welcome song"... lol :D

Yeah, they're all very awkward, that's what makes me think they're from Google Translate (assuming they're real at all!)

I put a message on the person's "talk page." Not sure if they get notified if I do that but we'll see. Hopefully I'll get a response.