The Brian Tyler thread

Jay

Now here's a guy whose stuff I hate with a passion. Not all, but 99 % of it. Give or take a percent.

There's about 3 tracks of AvP:R that kick ass. And an odd cue here and there that's good, but to be honest all he writes is the same crap over and over again, especially the last 10 years.

I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see his name appear in the credits of the film I'm watching. I don't understand how he continues to get all the big gigs.

I'm not impressed with his fanfares, at least the two that I've heard; his re-working of JG's Universal Fanfare and the Marvel Fanfare.

Now You See Me is the only Brian Tyler score I've fallen in love with. It's fantastic.

Children of Dune is good.

"Can You Dig It?" from Iron Man 3 is good

Everything else... has yet to grab me.

I'm more interested in Elfman's hour of Avengers 2 cues than Tyler's.

Now here's a guy whose stuff I hate with a passion. Not all, but 99 % of it. Give or take a percent.

There's about 3 tracks of AvP:R that kick ass. And an odd cue here and there that's good, but to be honest all he writes is the same crap over and over again, especially the last 10 years.

I can't help but roll my eyes whenever I see his name appear in the credits of the film I'm watching. I don't understand how he continues to get all the big gigs.

If you can track it down, Bubba Ho-Tep is really good. Into the Storm was was decent too. Frailty is perfectly serviceable, even though it's basically a rip-off of Silence of the Lambs. Most of his stuff, yeah, I'd agree with you, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised none of the red carpet interviews asked Tyler about his Avengers: Age of Ultron score and what he thinks of Elfman rescoring part of the film.

Yeah, but I was actually thinking about this the other day. Aside from a few select pieces, he doesn't really write outside of the medium. I wonder if he has any interest in going back to his roots and doing an album; or even make it a solo effort.

He should have formed a rock band instead.

Zimmer? Indeed.

No Zimmer can stay in the film business, he has proven he knows what films need.

And Tyler, well he can :rock_band:

No Zimmer can stay in the film business, he has proven he knows what films need and producers have abusively perpetuated whatever his most recent style is by force and creative conscription.

Fixed.

Fixed.

A friend of mine did the arrangements on FF7. Which means I will probably check it out, even if I haven't seen a single one of the movies, and I'm not enamoured with Tyler's percussion-heavy scores. In fact, the only two I have right now is TRANSFORMERS: PRIME and the lowkey drama STANDING UP. I wish he did more stuff like that instead of the action.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The way I see it, the guy has written a software program that automatically writes scores according to some values he puts in and some boxes he checks.

He then takes out his baton and tries to look all cool and awesome conducting the thing his neat little software came up with.

Most overrated composer in Hollywood.