The Brian Tyler thread

Jay

What's the best Johannsson score in your opinion, or at least the best one for a Johannsson newb like me to check out?

Solo album-wise, Fordlandia is the best place to start, to get a sense of his style:

The Miners' Hymns might be my favourite, especially if you're into brass chorales. But definitely start with Fordlandia.

Prisoners is probably my favourite film score of his. 

Theory of Everything is his most "traditional"/conventional score. It's sort of like Desplat meets Korzeniowski, with a touch of Richter. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I was just listening to this again today and wondered if any of you had heard it. Pretty awesome, in my opinion. Feels at times like a theme for a Western. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2017 at 8:19 PM, Will said:

I was just listening to this again today and wondered if any of you had heard it. Pretty awesome, in my opinion. Feels at times like a theme for a Western. 

I've always liked this piece. It's perhaps Tyler's best theme presentation. Nice B sections and a good flow. It could easily be very suited to a big campy superhero film in the style of Reeves Superman or The Rocketeer.

It really shows what Tyler is capable of outside of these identical giant explosion superhero films.

13 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

I've always liked this piece. It's perhaps Tyler's best theme presentation. Nice B sections and a good flow. It could easily be very suited to a big campy superhero film in the style of Reeves Superman or The Rocketeer.

It really shows what Tyler is capable of outside of these identical giant explosion superhero films.

One thing I find strange are these credits, under this official video:

https://youtu.be/pUQ-o6Xq3I4

Composed by Brian Tyler
Arranged by John Carey and orchestrated by Dana Niu

So is it possible that Tyler just came up with the main melody and a few suggestions of the feel and that's about it? I mean, an arranger and an orchestrator? I'm not that familiar with Tyler, but I just found this credit strange. 

On June 5, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Disco Stu said:

Samples for The Mummy are up on iTunes.

The Mummy (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) [Deluxe Edition] by Brian Tyler
https://itun.es/us/6Aolkb

Probably the one memorable part of this score for me is the final cue before the credits roll (looks like the track called "Between Life and Death"), because I can't recall another time I've been able to tell on first viewing what temp tracks were initially used, but this scene was definitely temp tracked with Zimmer's "A Watchful Guardian," which is obvious for a couple of reasons, but mostly because Tyler basically just does a rip-off.  

I interviewed Tyler a couple of weeks ago and I asked if there were any nods to Goldsmith and Silvestri and he just kind of pointed at me with a pretty big grin and started talking about how much he loved their Mummy scores. So I took it as a yes. Has anyone who's heard it, noticed any nods?

16 hours ago, DominicCobb said:

but this scene was definitely temp tracked with Zimmer's "A Watchful Guardian,"

A day may come when people will credit James Newton Howard. But it is not this day. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I wonder what this is for.  And why is there a United logo there?  Could this be a Fanfare for United?  For a commercial?

It sounds good, but it also sounds like a dozen existing fanfares at the same time.  In fact it sounds a lot like his Marvel fanfare to me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Brian Tyler will be conducting another concert of his film music with the Philharmonia Orchestra at London's Royal Festival Hall on 25th October 2018.  Selections will include The Mummy, Power Rangers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Thor: The Dark World, The Fast and the Furious and others.

No link available yet but I will edit this post when tickets are up for sale.

EDIT: Here be a link.

:dance:

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

The F9 score album is 44 tracks / 2 hours long

PkWNBba.jpg

1. Fast 9 (2:48)
  2. Fallen (2:24)
  3. Visions Of The Past (3:51)
  4. Upward Movement (2:44)
  5. Tracking Nobody (2:53)
  6. Neela Drifts (from Tokyo Drift) (3:30)
  7. Reconciliation (2:23)
  8. Diamonds And Emeralds (2:43)
  9. Awakened (2:27)
  10. The Race (2:43)
  11. Innuendo Of Character (2:07)
  12. Peligro Minas (5:37)
  13. Tracking A Ghost (4:00)
  14. Faith (1:47)
  15. Broken Allegiance (3:53)
  16. Brother (1:46)
  17. Transitions (2:41)
  18. Plans Within Plans Within Plans (4:12)
  19. The Next Chapter (5:18)
  20. Peace In The Chaos (1:52)
  21. Turning The Screws (3:12)
  22. Twinkie, Ding Dong, and Snowball (1:27)
  23. This Is My World (3:24)
  24. Car vs. Jet (1:00)
  25. Security Breach (3:54)
  26. Risk (1:16)
  27. I Got Next (1:54)
  28. Minions (0:56)
  29. Student Driver (2:43)
  30. Hope For The Future (2:49)
  31. Simple Words (2:33)
  32. Seeking Jakob (1:11)
  33. Double Crossed (2:28)
  34. Reunion (1:20)
  35. Numbers Don't Lie (3:02)
  36. Belly Up (2:54)
  37. Promises (0:51)
  38. Math And Science (0:48)
  39. Connections (2:48)
  40. Punching Bag (1:10)
  41. Magneticism (3:02)
  42. Project Aries (2:22)
  43. Dom vs. Cipher (3:25)
  44. Toretto (2:14)

Total Album Time: 1:52:42

Yeah but I won't complain about any complete presentation. It's funny to notice that they are more and more frequent, I mean first this year we've got Justice League which was almost 4 hours long now this two hours score. Would we finnally get immediatly the proper film score presentation? It would be great!

I remember listening to Tyler's previous Fast scores a few years ago. He had written some interesting themes for the franchise actually. This is his own Star Wars/Middle Earth.

Does he have a catalog of themes that he uses as lietmotifs throughout his entries, or is it a bunch of one-off action scores with a similar sound?

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does he have a catalog of themes that he uses as lietmotifs throughout his entries, or is it a bunch of one-off action scores with a similar sound?

There was a few themes who appeared in every score of the franchise since the fourth one (and including Fast 6, which was scored by Lucas Vidal). I remember the Letty theme (Michelle Rodriguezes' character), a Family theme (for when the family is doing something wholesome) and what I called a "gang" theme, which plays when Dom's crew is doing some action scene.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There are a couple...maybe? If I hear them I remember them, but I can't recall anything immediately. There's something for Dwayne Johnson's character which I beleive appears in F5 and F7, but he's not even in F9 so I doubt that will appear this time. The standout "theme" for the series is the track "Fast Five" which has been in every Tyler F&F score since.

I think there are some themes:

Fast & Furious Theme (Gang)

Letty & Dom's Theme

Family Theme

Hobbs' Theme

Roman's Theme

Deckard Shaw (more of a motif/instrument driven)

Cipher (I believe not sure)

Mr. Nobody (more of riff)

And there are some action motifs, rifds and things he uses to link the scores together.

I think his Fast&Furious scores are great and actually have quite of lot of depth to them. Can't wait to listen to the F9 album

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...