Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

Steven Spielberg looks to have found his next movie having attached himself to direct the bigscreen adaptation of “Ready Player One” for Warner Bros and Village Roadshow.

Ernest Cline penned the popular sci-fi novel, which the studio has been trying to get off the ground for some time with everyone from Robert Zemeckis to Christopher Nolan showing interest at one time or another.

Donald De Line, Dan Farah and Kristie Macosko Krieger will also produce. Zak Penn wrote the script.

The novel, published in 2011, is set in a not-too-distant future where advanced Internet, gaming and virtual reality technologies have changed the world as we know it and led to the creation of the Oasis, a virtual reality universe that people live in and value more than the real world.

Jesse Ehrman and Racheline Benveniste will oversee for the studio.

“We are thrilled to welcome Steven back to Warner Bros. We had an historic series of collaborations in the 80s and 90s and have wanted to bring him back for years,” said Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, Warner Bros. Pictures. “As for “Ready Player One,” we have always felt that Steven was the dream director for this project.”

The CAA-repped Spielberg recently finished production on the Tom Hanks drama “Bridge of Spies,” which bows in October. He will next start shoot the feature adaptation of Roahl Dahl’s “The BFG.”

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/steven-spielberg-to-direct-sci-fi-film-ready-player-one-1201460039/

Call me cynical, but I doubt this goes through in Spielberg's calendar (and I also doubt Williams will be onboard for it regardless).

Call me cynical, but I doubt this goes through in Spielberg's calendar (and I also doubt Williams will be onboard for it regardless).

I wish Spielberg would just set up his schedule without interfering without Star Wars (assuming Williams will even score them). I could see this being a late 2017/early 2018 release.

Is the book any good? It must somewhat interesting, if it was circling Nolan's and now Spielberg's camp

I've not heard anything particularly good. I think it's just the sort of thing that a certain sect of Nolan fans and industry people wanted him to take on... you know, the ones who want him to keep doing things in the vein of Inception over and over, because that's really interesting....

I read it. Filled to the brim with tons of 80s references. It's like Matrix meets Avatar meets Tron meets Hunger Games meets all of Pop Culture.

This is one of those "unfilmable" book, in that the theatrical aspect of the words on page transcends over what is possible in a 2-hour typical movie narration. I guess you do not sign on this when you are Spielberg without having a fucking good script. I can see those weird awkward Minority Report scenes in this.

Is the book any good? It must somewhat interesting, if it was circling Nolan's and now Spielberg's camp

Ah, that's where I knew the title from! We talked about this project or the title some time ago.

Nolan and Spielberg swapped projects. Nolan did Spielberg's Interstellar and now Spiely is going to do Nolan's Ready Player One.

Thirty years ago, this would've been the perfect fit for a John Badham/Arthur B. Rubenstein collaboration. (Maybe Spielberg can get Ruby to come in on this one. . . .)

What fantastic news March is the month of Steven Spielberg

Bridge of Spies Title confirmed, Jennifer Laurence starring in It's what I do (A Photographer's Life of Love and War) to be directed by Steven Spielberg, then John Williams drops out of scoring Bridge of Spies which was awful news but was for health issues, and now Steven Spielberg is confirmed to direct a film based on a book called Ready Player One by Ernest Cline which is a science fiction and dystopian novel! Now it has been rumored that the film is going to be made after the BFG which is perfect but I would Like It's what I do (A Photographer's Life of Love and War) to be made after the BFG but if we get that After Ready Player One fantastic but I am not sure what order they will go in it looks like Ready Player One and then It's what I do (A Photographer's Life of Love and War)

Will John Williams score both of those it is doubtful due to the wonderful matter of Star Wars Episode 8 and 9 but I don't know if he will do those despite John Williams being confirmed for those but who knows just speculation and rumors at the moment!

As Williams himself confirmed with the LSO, the Bridge of Spies switch was not due to health reasons.

As Williams himself confirmed with the LSO, the Bridge of Spies switch was not due to health reasons.

He said, coughing blood...

Well, aside from that. . . .

Wait, what did he say?

• 4 months later...