Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

It's this movie more than any he's done in the last twenty years which will show whether or not Spiels still has any of the 80s wunderkind sensibilities left in him. I'm keeping an eye on this one.

The biggest shame will probably be that Williams won't be there.

It's worth noting that Star Wars Episode 8 is scheduled for May 2017, NOT December 2017, so there's no "Spielberg/SWorHP" conflict this time :)

Just because we got a date announcement for Ready Player One doesn't mean the movie will happen yet, or with Spielberg at the helm. Robopocalypse did, and that was shelved.

Oct 2015: Bridge of Spies (Spielberg) - Thomas Newman

Dec 2015: Star Wars 7 (Abrams) - John Williams

Jul 2016: The BFG (Spielberg) - John Williams

Dec 2016: Star Wars Rogue One (Edwards) - Alexandre Desplat

May 2017: Star Wars 8 (Johnson) - ??????

Dec 2017: Ready Player One (Spielberg) - ??????

It's unrealistic to expect both this and Star Wars 8 from Williams in 2017 (if either of them) but the December release date does look promising for his schedule.

Why is that?

It's unrealistic to expect both this and Star Wars 8 from Williams in 2017 (if either of them) but the December release date does look promising for his schedule.

Why is that?

John Williams' age/deadly back ailment.

He's an author now. He's written a few novels and a memoir.

He gave a pretty interesting "career retrospective" interview a couple years ago too.

He said somewhere in there that he would be open to acting again but he didn't like any of the scripts he'd been offered. I think he said he thought there was too much cussing.

I seriously doubt Williams will do RPO. Not because of his age or health (unlike everyone else here, I think he will recover from that easily), but because it doesn't sound like a project suited to him. Now that Spielberg has tried his hands on a different composer (in contemporary times) with BRIDGE, I'm guessing he will do the same with this -- if it ever happens (which I also doubt). I'm guessing that from now on, Spielberg will employ Williams to the projects that are tailored to his sentiments -- like the BFG.

Well, we're just grasping at straws here. At this point, we have no idea what it will look or sound like, nor if it actually becomes a Spielberg project.

Spielberg is apparently trying to lure Gene Wilder out of retirement to star in this movie.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72651

Sounds more likely its for The BFG than Ready Player One

Very much so. As a not to Willy Wonka and the Choc Factory it makes sense.

I seriously doubt Williams will do RPO. Not because of his age or health (unlike everyone else here, I think he will recover from that easily), but because it doesn't sound like a project suited to him. Now that Spielberg has tried his hands on a different composer (in contemporary times) with BRIDGE, I'm guessing he will do the same with this -- if it ever happens (which I also doubt). I'm guessing that from now on, Spielberg will employ Williams to the projects that are tailored to his sentiments -- like the BFG.

I really can't imagine Spielberg being like "Oh good, John's back up and working, going out, conducting again, feeling great, and he's available to score my movie? That's wonderful! Hmm...how about Christophe Beck?"

Williams did do Heartbeeps and that was a departure for him. If Williams is willing and able, I don't see why see why he wouldn't score the film, especially if Spielberg directs. It wouldn't conflict with Episode 8, either.

I don't think Spielberg even considers Williams to have a specific sensibility. It's pretty obvious at this point that he thinks he's an appropriate choice for everything.

From Schindler's List to The Big Fucking Giant and a video game movie...

Meanwhile, Scorsese is directing a serial killer movie. Spielberg needs to get himself right.

hqdefault_zpsm7hwyxf9.jpg

This is Spielberg. The young and eager Spielberg that used to live solely on a diet of movies and air doesn't exist any more.

Alex

Remember when Rocky Balboa surrounded himself with glitter and glamour? Exactly! He could no longer win a fight. Spielberg has to lose everything before he can become an interesting artist again. He has to find back his 'slaughterhouse' spirit.

Alex

Spielberg is on record as saying crowd pleaser movies (his greatest skill) no longer interest him anymore and he stopped being interested in them around the time he was offered Harry Potter 1.

Spielberg, much like Woody Allen or Ridley Scott will do what they have been doing for years now. Making moves their way, with their regular team of collaborators.

Woody Allen is an independent filmmaker. He doesn't need to make compromises or answer to money men. Also, he doesn't have a yacht like that. Spielberg and Scott are too much mired in the web of the Hollywood machine.

Which is true but also insane because with billions to your pocket, what's the worst that could possibly happen to your career?

Being remembered as an artist who got mired in the web of Hollywood, of course.