Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

More than enough for B&W!

Always blows all that out of the water!

Steven Spielberg on Always:

Some movies don't take off and there's a thousand reasons why.

I understand why you say that.

Steven Spielberg on Empire Of The Sun:

I made a movie to satisfy me, not the audience.

Alex - who thinks artists should never think of the audience first

I think it's become pretty clear over the years that when directors make films they have no personal investment in, they don't work out.

An artist needs to have a genuine passion for the art he's working on. The moment Spielberg said he was "done with Indiana Jones," he moved on, both artistically and stylistically. And boy, did it show. The entire movie feels like a low-rent imitation of 80's Spielberg.

He also made The Crystal Skull in such a way so that it would satisfy Lucas.

Steven Spielberg on The Crystal Skull:

I'm very obedient to the stories that George Lucas writes.

Thank god Lucas isn't involved with The Force Awakens! (unless that one sucks too)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Spielberg really is a lightning fast moviemaker. So he starts shooting this one in December, which makes me think the BFG will be mostly done by that time, apart maybe for all the special effects

Spielberg really is a lightning fast moviemaker. So he starts shooting this one in December, which makes me think the BFG will be mostly done by that time, apart maybe for all the special effects

Nah, he starts filming next June, for a dec. 2017 release.

• 3 months later...

Sunday, January 17, 2016
Worldwide casting call for Ready Player One
Ready Player One is a major new sci-fi feature film to be directed by Steven Spielberg. The film is based on the cult sci-fi book of the same name, written by Ernie Cline.

The book takes place in 2044 and follows the story of a virtual-reality game creator who offers up his entire company to the best player who can find an Easter egg in one of his many virtual worlds via a game called OASIS. A teenager named Wade Watts decides to take it on after millions have failed over many years. The key to winning the game is a plethora of pop culture clues from the 1980s. Whomever figures it out and wins the game — without having their avatars killed in the process — takes over the entire OASIS empire. 

A worldwide online casting call is now searching for three young actors to join 22 year old British actress Olivia Cooke, who has already been cast as the female lead, Samantha Evelyn Cook, a successful musician from Canada and fellow player who Wade has a crush on.

ROLES CURRENTLY CASTING VIA THE OPEN CALL:

WADE WATTS: 18-19 yrs old, male, clean cut with a sense of humor, overweight or underweight. A sincere and passionate player in the Oasis. Not the most confident guy outside the Oasis, but Wade gains boldness & nerve as his worlds collide. He uses his skills & the support of his friends to rise above each challenge.

SHOTO: 10-13 yrs old, male, to play Chinese, hip & knowing for his age. He speaks MANDARIN AND English FLUENTLY. Wade's friend in the Oasis who joins with him to complete the competition. Please note: Actor should be bilingual: Mandarin and English (Applications must be submitted by parent or legal guardian if applicant is under 18 years of age).

DAITO: 20 yrs old, male, to play Japanese. Speaks JAPANESE AND English FLUENTLY. One of Wade's friends in the Oasis who joins with him to complete the competition. Please note: Actor should be bilingual: Japanese and English. 

HOW TO AUDITION: 
Auditions are open to anyone worldwide that fits the descriptions above.
Complete the audition form on ReadyPlayerOneMovieCasting.Com
Record your audition following the taping instructions provided and then upload your video along with your headshot and/or photo via the Cast It Website.You can record your audition using a video camera, computer or smart phone. 

The film is scheduled to shoot in June this year with an anticipated release date in December 2017.

http://screenterrier.blogspot.com/2016/01/worldwide-casting-call-for-ready-player.html

• 3 weeks later...

Irrfan Khan refused to star in Steven Spielberg’s film:

Indian actor Irrfan Khan has refused a part in a Steven Spielberg film because he didn’t find “enough meat to explore” himself as an actor.

“I felt the character did not have enough meat to explore myself as an actor. Hence, I said no… Else who wouldn’t want to work with Steven Spielberg?” Irrfan said in a statement.

The “Slumdog Millionaire” and “Life of Pi” actor was offered to work in a Spielberg film, which also had Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson in it.

http://indianexpress.com/article/entertainment/bollywood/why-irrfan-khan-refused-steven-spielbergs-film/

I wonder if the film was RPO? Maybe even the role Gene Wilder was approached about? I thought possibly BFG but Scarlett Johansson has nothing to do with that film.

That article was clearly about Ghost In The SHell and not Ready Player One... maybe the dude didn't realize Spielberg was only producing and not directing.

Or maybe there's been an unannounced change and Spielberg is directing it after or instead of It's What I Do

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Or maybe there's been an unannounced change and Spielberg is directing it after or instead of It's What I Do

Hopefully.  We could do with one less dry "topical" Spielberg movie.  Especially one starring the boring Jennifer Lawrence.  

7 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Never. 

I don't see the problem with a Spielberg movie moving to spring 2018. People's viewing habits change, i.e. they'll see a movie any time of the year if it looks good and/or has good buzz.

1 minute ago, Matt C said:

I don't see the problem with a Spielberg movie moving to spring 2018. People's viewing habits change, i.e. they'll see a movie any time of the year if it looks good and/or has good buzz.

Yeah, it's cool that there'll be something to look forward to in the otherwise dire early months of the year.