Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

55 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It's only right that they end their careers with Jaws 5: Resurrection.

Starring Richard Dreyfuss, Dennis Quaid, and Michael Caine.

31 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Surprisingly he's not been announced yet.  Will this be Nolan's first failure as a result?

There are still multiple people here who don't consider Dark Knight Rises a failure after the brilliance of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight?  Interesting.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There are still multiple people here who don't consider Dark Knight Rises a failure after the brilliance of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight?  Interesting.

Regardless of my own feelings on the film - big fan - it would be hard to call it a failure based on the generally favorable reception and money earned.  That's all I was defining "failure" as, a lack of those things.

Dunkirk will make a profit regardless of how good or bad it is

If its a bad movie, the NEXT film won't be guaranteed to make a profit, but this one is safe.

Yes usually a director can have two bad movies in a row before being taken off hte good graces list.  Kind of like a rock band with albums

So, I've just finished reading the book (thank you, Miguel)

It's not high literature. It's not deep. And it is very poorly written.

But yet, I can see how this could make a really fun movie. The whole premise is really fun. I'm sure the subject has been handled better in other Sci Fi Novels I haven't read, but for all its flaws, I just found the whole thing to be tremendous fun.

In Spielberg's hands this could be one hell of a ride. And it's absolutely ripe with musical opportunities

5 hours ago, Romão said:

So, I've just finished reading the book (thank you, Miguel)

It's not high literature. It's not deep. And it is very poorly written.

But yet, I can see how this could make a really fun movie. The whole premise is really fun. I'm sure the subject has been handled better in other Sci Fi Novels I haven't read, but for all its flaws, I just found the whole thing to be tremendous fun.

In Spielberg's hands this could be one hell of a ride. And it's absolutely ripe with musical opportunities

Sweet! I should read this at some point before 2018.

On 7/5/2016 at 9:15 AM, Jay said:

There will likely be a second round of Episode 8 scoring sessions also, sometime in October or so

Is The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara 100% unequivocally confirmed that it WILL be shot AND released in 2017?

I don't know, it depends on Rian Johnson's post-production process and whether they will record in Los Angeles again. They might go back to recording the score in two weeks in London, and not constantly revise the music during editing.

11 hours ago, Matt C said:

I don't know, it depends on Rian Johnson's post-production process and whether they will record in Los Angeles again. They might go back to recording the score in two weeks in London, and not constantly revise the music during editing.

Didn't he specifically tell Kennedy he would only agree to score VII if he could record it in LA? I'm sure I read that in an interview.

It did contradict the narrative about the prolonged post-production schedule necessitating an LA record, though it made for a convenient excuse.

I highly doubt Williams will score a film outside the US again.

38 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't he specifically tell Kennedy he would only agree to score VII if he could record it in LA? I'm sure I read that in an interview.

It was JJ Abrams who insisted on LA, not Williams - though later, when Williams found out he needed a pacemaker, it probably would have been LA anyway!

I think Episode 8 is more likely to be conducted by a different conductor with the LSO, than it is by Williams in LA.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think Episode 8 is more likely to be conducted by a different conductor with the LSO, than it is by Williams in LA.

This is a pretty bold assertion to make with such confidence!

Williams hasn't flown to Europe since 2005 when he was 73; Do you think he will next year at 85?

Oh I'm not disputing that. I think it's bold to say that they would want it recorded by the LSO badly enough to pull a "Hobbits 2 and 3 scenario" (Williams composing in LA while William Ross or Conrad Pope conducts in London).

I think it far more likely that they would just use a freelance LA orchestra again, why do you think otherwise?

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was JJ Abrams who insisted on LA, not Williams - though later, when Williams found out he needed a pacemaker, it probably would have been LA anyway!

That's a huge revelation to me. Presumably this was because attending the recording sessions of a John Williams Star Wars score was a non-negotiable to fanboy JJ, but he needed to remain in LA to complete post?

Still, I'm not sure Williams prefers the LSO for these films quite enough to allow another conductor to do the scores on his behalf (even if he can relay notes from his LA studio via teleconference). Wouldn't Williams almost always prefer to conduct a "lesser" orchestra than allow another conductor perform his music with a "superior" orchestra?

Out of interest, union rules prevent the LSO from flying to LA for a fortnight and recording the score there, presumably?

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Still, I'm not sure Williams prefers the LSO for these films quite enough to allow another conductor to do the scores on his behalf (even if he can relay notes from his LA studio via teleconference). Wouldn't Williams almost always prefer to conduct a "lesser" orchestra than allow another conductor perform his music with a "superior" orchestra?

This.

It would be far more jaw-dropping to have a Star Wars score with no conducting by Williams than it was to have a Star Wars score not performed by the LSO.  I will eat my hat (or some more modern equivalent) if this score is recorded anywhere without Williams conducting (barring unforeseen health issues that could prevent him of course).

10 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Out of interest, union rules prevent the LSO from flying to LA for a fortnight and recording the score there, presumably?

That, I have no idea about.  Frankly that would be the ideal situation if you ask me!

33 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This.

It would be far more jaw-dropping to have a Star Wars score with no conducting by Williams than it was to have a Star Wars score not performed by the LSO.  I will eat my hat (or some more modern equivalent) if this score is recorded anywhere without Williams conducting (barring unforeseen health issues that could prevent him of course).

I don't want to think about it but I suppose a scenario could eventuate (maybe for Episode IX) where Williams is unable to conduct any music and, realising someone else will conduct, decides the score could just be recorded with the LSO in London (Hobbit 2 & 3 style).

Even then, I think he'd rather relay instructions in person to a surrogate conductor (Bill Ross or Gustavo Dudamel) with an LA-based orchestra.

Of course, if union rules allowed it, the LSO coming to LA would obviously be the best outcome for everyone -- well, except freelance musicians in LA. ;)

22 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm still waiting on Nolan's first great movie.

(Interstellar has come closest for me personally)

It's close to greatness? Or the closest but still miles away?

I believe Williams himself is a member of that union (the American Federation of Musicians) so it would be highly unlikely!

As evidenced here:

According this interview, Williams told JJ he would only score the film if he could stay in LA?

Williams says he especially liked the fact that screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan was on board again, and felt no reluctance coming back for a seventh round. (“I can’t say I was [hesitant] at all. I thought it would be fun.”) He did note that he’s recorded every previous Star Wars score with the London Symphony Orchestra, and the one caveat he gave Abrams was that he didn’t want to go to London this time around. He was “delighted” to accept the gig once he learned he could record in Los Angeles.

“First of all, the orchestra’s wonderful here. My relationship with the London Symphony goes way, way back, and it’s a fabulous orchestra.”

But the schedule for this film had him begin recording last June, and then holding a number of sessions sporadically through November. It would have been “awkward” to stay in London.

http://projectorandorchestra.com/john-williams-on-the-force-awakens-and-the-legacy-of-star-wars/

Although it's entirely possible Williams only asked for this after JJ told him their post-production schedule would require sparodic scoring sessions between June and November.

18 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It's close to greatness? Or the closest but still miles away?

It's very much close to greatness. Although it's also one of those movies where its overreaching ambitions almost make it more interesting than if it had been perfect.

I understand many people love Batman Begins and The Dark Knight but I cannot stand those movies. I'm not being contrarian, I wish I loved them as much as others but to me they are needlessly depressive slogs.  I liked Interstellar a lot and I'm looking forward to Dunkirk so I'm probably turning around on Nolan!

5 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

HSS vs. LSO and the monthly Nolan assessment in one thread?  Jackpot!

JWFan Bingo!

Those discussions being in a 100% unrelated thread is a bingo space in itself :D

4 hours ago, Romão said:

The Prestige is his best

I agree even though the dialogue is constantly explaining character motivation to the audience. The audience is made lazy. Sign of the times ... 

For a similar movie but then without explanation cards, watch The Duellists.

Alex

Yeah, but The Duellists is, on the other hand, poor man's Barry Lyndon. An interesting film but hardly a masterpiece.

Karol

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, but The Duellists is, on the other hand, poor man's Barry Lyndon. An interesting film but hardly a masterpiece.

It has very little to do with Barry Lyndon other than the setting. It's like saying Alien is a poor man's 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Well, there's just as much Kubrick in The Duellists as there is in Alien. It never stood in the way of people calling Alien a masterpiece. It's easier to see the influence in The Duellists because of the obvious Napoleon setting and the usage of graded filters.

Ironically enough, both Scott (especially the early movies) and Nolan are influenced by Kubrick.

BTW, it seems that you are wrong, crocs:

The story sounds flimsy, but the richness of Scott's visuals, the excellence of the performances (Albert Finney, Edward Fox, Tom Conti and Robert Stephens are among the supporting cast) and depth of the themes - masculine pride and obsession masquerading as honour - combine to make the movie a minor masterpiece. - David Hughes for Empireonline

It is a masterpiece, but a minor one!

;)

On 7/7/2016 at 8:40 AM, crumbs said:

It did contradict the narrative about the prolonged post-production schedule necessitating an LA record, though it made for a convenient excuse.

I highly doubt Williams will score a film outside the US again.

Ultimately, Disney and Lucasfilm have control where a score is recorded. If a film is mostly being shot in London it makes financial sense to record there due to the buyout -- and most of the time AFM doesn't put up a fight in that instance.

The LSO has a recognizable sound due to their Star Wars work, and that difference for me was felt in the TFA score. I love that score, brilliantly played by the L.A. musicians, but that's just my preference. 

Hell, WB can mandate that Ready Player One record in London due to financial reasons. Unlikely, but possible, given that they're funding the movie.

When was the last time a Spielberg movie recorded its score outside LA?

EDIT: Oh wait, wasn't Lincoln recorded in Chicago?

OK, when was the last time a Spielberg score was recorded outside the USA?  Raiders in 81?

On 7/7/2016 at 8:39 PM, Romão said:

The Prestige is his best

Watched this on the plane the other day (I know...not the best way to go...). It was fantastic. Still Nolan's best.