Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

34 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My newest pet peeve: those who complain what JWFan does or says like it's a monolithic single voice and the complainer is the only sane one.  Call out specific people you disagree with.

I've noticed that a lot on JWFan. I'm the only one who doesnt do that!

The trailer doesn't actually give you any indication of the actual plot. It just sets up the dystopian future and OASIS. 

The quest storyline doesn't even feature. Loads of Arthurian Legend references and such stuff. 

Just now, BloodBoal said:

The collaboration with Silvestri probably isn't going as well as expected and he's considering changing the composer.

AS - "You're gonna need a better composer than me to score this film..."

SS - "No problem!" 

47 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I've noticed that a lot on JWFan. I'm the only one who doesnt do that!

A pet peeve of mine is when people pretend they are not part of the monolithic voice that is JWFan.  We are one.

Where's the video with images of the movie?

Ok I see, page 11.

It's a little bit too "video game" for me... but I guess this is the idea, it's a video game!

Don't like the part where they kill Freddy! HEY!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

My newest pet peeve: those who complain what JWFan does or says like it's a monolithic single voice and the complainer is the only sane one.  Call out specific people you disagree with.

A high percentage of disparaging posts is an observable fact.

15 hours ago, Thor said:

Looks like a fun cyber movie! If there's a film that calls for lots of wild CGI, it would be something like this. I'm not too bothered by the disparaging remarks here on JWFAN, which often comes across as the most cynical place on earth.

Also, I'm getting more and more confident that Silvestri is the right choice for this. He can a) do the classical symphonic stylings of the 80s, b) do 80s electronics (he was a master of this in the actual decade) and c) is still able to compose captivating electronic soundscapes, like this track from COSMOS (love the beat at 2:16):

I would also LOVE a reference to this:

I'd forgotten Silvestri was the sound behind the updated Cosmos, there's some stunning music in there.

And holy shit! - that Flight of the Navigator cue is fucking 80s movie perfection!

Quintus - saddened by the fact he now forgets about some of these gems these days, even when he has them on CD, as indefinitely borrowed from the local library many years ago..

1 hour ago, Will said:

I'm rather surprised by all the negative reactions. 

I loved this teaser. From the awesome orchestral hits over the names (as I later learned, an arrangement of "Pure Imagination" from Willy Wonka -- @Manakin Skywalker or @Skelly, any idea who did it?) to the absolutely wild closing with blaring 80s music, this trailer was an absolute thrill ride, as I'm sure the film will be. Can't stop watching it. 

Disappointed that Spielberg didn't say anything, even a little aside, about the composer situation, but in any case I can certainly see why Williams might not have wanted to score this. It looks totally bonkers -- but, on the other hand, that's precisely the source of my excitement! I so wish Williams had scored this. :(

Some of those scenes near the end look like they're right out of a modern superhero film. This might be the closest Spielberg gets to Marvel. Some would say that's a bad thing (and I don't even really watch superhero movies), but this is pretty new territory for Spielberg, so I think it's really cool. However, as Stefan noted, not all of the film will likely not be crazy action -- I've read the book and there will definitely be plenty of other stuff. 

Anyway, this might be Spielberg's zaniest film of all time! Liked the book but I still couldn't quite imagine it on screen. Now I can, and I am excited -- although it is, of course, an excitement tinged with melancholy. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Brand Management: The Film

Our collective imagination run wild is just of corporate properties mashed together apparently

Agreed.

7 hours ago, Will said:

It looks totally bonkers ... this might be Spielberg's zaniest film of all time!

So it might be another 1941? 

So what kind of fun stuff can we expect in this movie? What did you guys spot in the trailer?

I almost thought I saw Indiana Jones, but that can't be right!

'Tintin' was fun enough though the story felt perfunctory - as if Spielberg wanted to do some more shit with pirates and derring-do and had the writers figure out how to connect the dots. The result is a lot of cool scenes that do not amount to much. But it sure wasn't an abortion like KOTCS.

RPO could be a cool 'Tron' redo and if he mines the angle from the book that explores human loneliness caused by online technology it even might feel like there's something more to it. It sure has more potential than 'The Papers'.

59 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

So what kind of fun stuff can we expect in this movie?

Hey, isn't that Indiana Jones? Hey, look it's Spider-Man! Hahahaha, this cave sure looks like the Batcave. Man, this is a great movie! I can actually recognize stuff from pop culture! 

- Did you see that old Atari computer in the corner of the room? Sheer greatness!

- What?! I missed that! Now I have to watch the movie again!

51 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Besides KotCS, the one modern film Spielberg has made that I don't care for at all is The Adventures of TinTin. I was completely underwhelmed and never felt the desire to see it again.

Echo my sentiments exactly. It feels very hollow to me, in spite of all the technical wizardry on display.

I've never understood the love for the score either. It suffers the same technically-astonishing-but-holistically-hollow flaw to me (similar to Adventures of Mutt, which I find tedious to the extreme).

41 minutes ago, publicist said:

RPO could be a cool 'Tron' redo and if he mines the angle from the book that explores human loneliness caused by online technology it even might feel like there's something more to it. It sure has more potential than 'The Papers'.

That's by far the most interesting thing about the book's premise, which I don't think the book was particularly concerned about exploring and I don't think the movie will either

I think the trailer looks promising, but my only concern is that Spielberg has been rather uneven with his more adventurous stuff in the last 10 years (the historical or "serious" dramas have all been top notch). INDY IV, TINTIN, THE BFG....they've all had undisputed qualities, of course (how can they not, when there's a master behind the camera?), but they've also had some serious issues compared to Spielberg's effortless outings in the past. So count me reservedly excited.....

30 minutes ago, Romão said:

That's by far the most interesting thing about the book's premise, which I don't think the book was particularly concerned about exploring and I don't think the movie will either

It's the only gravity the thing could possibly have. Cause for concern is the much too polished/expensive looking trailer junkyard that should look much more trashy and run down.

9 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Besides KotCS, the one modern film Spielberg has made that I don't care for at all is The Adventures of TinTin. I was completely underwhelmed and never felt the desire to see it again.

Completely the opposite here.

But then, I like good upbeat adventure a lot and Tinting has that in spades.

Still waiting for the sequel!! Bring it on. :D

OK just saw the trailer.  Holy cripes, wasn't expecting it to be quite like this.  Looks weird, but fun!

Definitely wasn't expecting to see The Iron Giant and Freddy Kruger, that was weird.

Silvestri's score will probably be A LOT of fun.

"cinematic game changer Steven Spielberg" is stupid marketing

He should go back to making smaller movies. I'm one of the few who actually thought THE LOVELY BONES was a great film.

I haven't seen that one

But yes, him making a smaller film would be ideal I think.

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Jackson is currently adaptating another fantasy series, isn't he?

Karol

Writing, not directing.

Terrible trailer. It's a CGI catastrophe. Again.

RIP Steven Spielberg

8 hours ago, Thor said:

He should go back to making smaller movies. I'm one of the few who actually thought THE LOVELY BONES was a great film.

Susan Sarandon was great, anyway.