Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

4 hours ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

What I hope the CGI sequences will be like:
Image result for T-rEX JURASSIC PARK gif

What I fear they will be like: 
Image result for mutt swinging vines

Hasn't the trailer already made clear which of those two this will look like?

Those are only a few examples.

Thousands and thousands of older films which cost nothing to produce still look better than millions-worth blockbusters being made these days. It's sad, really, to see so much money poured into projects for such a lame result.

The Jurassic Park one still looks great because the CG effect was composited onto a real set. Filmmakers today, including Spielberg, seem to think CGI is just as convincing, if not more, when it's contained in a green screen studio. The problem is the actors, whom aren't CGI.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Obviously the living actors need to be replaced by digital versions who can more realistically interact and blend in with the CGI background.

Isn't this exactly what they're doing for RPO?

I don't fully understand the use of mocap if it's all animated.

With something like Davy Jones for example you need someone for the other actors to act against and who can interact with the environment (and still a lot of the character is animated from scratch anyway), as well as someone as a reference for the animators, but in a movie like Tintin or those Zemeckis movies it feels a bit weird.

I suspect Spielberg not being an animator might be part of it, but I dunno

On 25/7/2017 at 6:54 AM, publicist said:

The book is CGI catastrophe.

I've read now some parts of it and it's kind of horrible.

Not really. Gollum wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful without Serkis' performance. 

Within a fully CG cartoon animation? The actor's performance is arguably superior to animated performance work. It's a whole new level of expressive sophistication.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

What do you think I meant with Indy V then? I'd happily see it as an animated mocap film like Tintin.

I thought you meant photo-realistic CGI.

Just now, Quintus said:

Not really. Gollum wouldn't have been anywhere near as successful without Serkis' performance.

Agreed excellent merger between an actual actors performance and digital animation.

• 3 weeks later...

Just watched the Comic Con trailer.  Looks okay, although with its use of Tom Sawyer, and the display of 80s pop imagery in a future setting, it looks like fan service stew.  MUST WATCH.

• 2 months later...

From what I've seen, this movie looks pretty ugly. If it wasn't for Spielberg's name attached to it, most people would probably have dismissed it as trash.

I dunna, I think it looks like it could be pretty good, and I'm sure the visuals will be fine. The source material is supposed to be very poor, though I've never read the book myself, though.

2 hours ago, KK said:

From what I've seen, this movie looks pretty ugly. If it wasn't for Spielberg's name attached to it, most people would probably have dismissed it as CG trash.

You could say that for a couple of other Spielberg films as well.

VFX houses bid on projects and the film company usually settles for the one which makes the best price. Of course Spielberg has a special relationship with ILM, so I guess if he wants to work specifically with them, the studio agrees.

16 hours ago, KK said:

From what I've seen, this movie looks pretty ugly. If it wasn't for Spielberg's name attached to it, most people would probably have dismissed it as CG trash.

It looks like what would happen if Kamiński became the Lawnmower Man.

• 4 weeks later...