Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

34 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Not to mention Spielberg's tendency to have zero respect for the source material in his book adaptions, I can't say I'm optimistic about this at all. Which is a pity because the book was a lot of fun.

Source faithfulness is unimportant when adapting unremarkable books. See: Jaws, My Fair Lady, The Shining, Jurassic Park, etc etc... 

I very much appreciate Spielberg's Jurassic Park now, but I remember when I saw the film being vaguely disappointed. I was expecting something much more violent, and more in line with the tone of the book.

Though I agree the Hammond in the film is far superior.

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Hammond being a cantankerous ginger bearded old fart can't hold a candle to the kindly-faced David Attenborough portrayal, it's become a pretty iconic role actually.  

His older brother Richard, you mean.

• 1 month later...

I'm genuinely curious as to whether anyone is truly excited about this movie. I can't think of many books I've hated more than this one and I honestly can't believe Spielberg is directing the adaptation. I wish he had dug up the aborted Robopocalypse adaptation if he felt the need to make an effects-heavy adventure movie. I would have killed to have heard Williams score that one. I think it would have been a hybrid of A.I. and Minority Report with some strains of War of the Worlds, and in my mind it's nothing short of awesome.

1 hour ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

The marketing for Ready Player One has really taken an interesting turn.

Ready_Player_ONe_fake_poster_2.png

Film's actually a period historical drama masquerading as a future sci-fi film. That's the third act twist (too bad this isn't real though!).

5 hours ago, crumbs said:

The lack of Williams definitely isn't helping my interest in the film.

Duel, The Color Of Money, ... Spielberg doesn't need Williams!

• 2 weeks later...

Predator 2 / The Lost World / Speed 2: Cruise Control form a trilogy for me of tribal drum action scores either made in 1997 or for a film set in 1997 (Predator 2)

Listen to all three of those frequently

P2 is heads and shoulders above part one for me, though. It's brimming with interesting ideas and the action is relentless (in a good, controlled way). Before every Hollywood action score sounded like it was orchestrated by Nicholas Dodd.

I prefer the Predator 2 score over Predator 1, as well.  I didn't really ever pay it much attention based on the crummy-sounding OST, but once we got the Deluxe Edition it changed my opinion immensely and became one of my most played discs of that year

The heavy South American flavour detracts too much from the core suspense material brought over from the original score for me. Still, there's a really badass new theme in its own right though, at least. 

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Oh God, are people gonna complain about the poster now too?

So people shouldn't point out a bad poster when they see one? Or does that rule apply exclusively to Spielberg films?

On 5.2.2018 at 11:25 AM, Jay said:

I prefer the Predator 2 score over Predator 1, as well.  I didn't really ever pay it much attention based on the crummy-sounding OST, but once we got the Deluxe Edition it changed my opinion immensely and became one of my most played discs of that year

Is the Deluxe Edition worth owning?

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

New poster. What's up with Simon Pegg? He seems off. It's also a bit too gray for my tastes. 

6Ko0bAP.jpg&key=dbb23f4a5144c5ea06b0cdc6

Ya got anymore fault-finding scrutiny to share about it? Maybe give it another once over, start from the top of the sheet and work your way down. 

17 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is the Deluxe Edition worth owning?

Absolutely no doubt; The OST sounds weird while the Deluxe Edition sounds much better, and the extra music is well worth it.

Oh crap, I didn't mean anything by posting that Willy Wonka GIF! 

On that subject, though, I wonder if anyone knows what to make of this movie. Spielberg movies don't always have the best advertisements...I love Tintin, but even after watching it I would see the US commercials and think it looked like a stupid movie.