Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

As I said, millennials.

At least Nolan has demonstrated a worthwhile level of talent and a degree of versatility, though. Does he get near top of their game Spielberg, Cameron or Scott? Absolutely not, but maybe one day. Although I'm a firm believer that artists are generally at their most impressive when they first come onto the scene, so if Nolan hasn't already made his Jaws he probably never will do. Same as JJ.

Spielberg was great 30 years ago. Just sporadically great since...and not really in the past 20+ years. And that latter part constitutes half of his filmography.

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Spielberg was great 30 years ago. Just sporadically great since...and not really in the past 20+ years. And that latter part constitutes half of his filmography.

Karol

Wow! What a fucking disappointment he turned out to be, right?

54 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Better wait for the Papers, Alex. I think that is more your sort of thing.

It is typical JWFan though. The next two Spielberg films are a sci-fi actio/adventure flick and a serious historical drama, and people seem to hate either of them.

Exactly what kinda film do you want Spielberg to make???

It seems Spielberg is only allowed to make history movies and kids movies. 

What is Abrams up to anyway, after TFA he vanished!

Just now, Stefancos said:

No one is forcing Spielberg to do anything. He's one of the most powerful guys in Hollywood.

He's forcing everyone else to do stuff now!

SS: The BFG?

Everyone: Why?

SS: Because I own you, that's why!

Just now, Stefancos said:

No one is forcing Spielberg to do anything. He's one of the most powerful guys in Hollywood.

Well, why does he complain about getting things financed these days? I'm pretty sure Nolan doesn't have that problem. 

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Btw, either Hans Zimmer or Daft Punk should have scored this. 

I'm sold!

Daft Punk and Joseph Trapanese 

If Williams were scoring this, I can imagine something akin to the Biker Chase from A.I. with all that frenetic energy!

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Where did he do that? As far as I know he had troubles financing Lincoln, thats it.

A couple of years ago Spielberg complained about the current difficult climate to finance non-action movies. Back then I informed the board about this (probably posted a link too) but it doesn't seem to sink in with Spielberg fanboys. I too thought he was powerful but it turns out Spielberg can't make every movie he wants. Those days are over. I'm sorry.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

As I said, millennials.

At least Nolan has demonstrated a worthwhile level of talent and a degree of versatility, though. Does he get near top of their game Spielberg, Cameron or Scott? Absolutely not, but maybe one day. Although I'm a firm believer that artists are generally at their most impressive when they first come onto the scene, so if Nolan hasn't already made his Jaws he probably never will do. Same as JJ.

JJ doesn't seem to have any artistic drive, like young Spielberg had -maybe he still has...

I enjoy TFA, but at times it baffles me with some of the shot choices JJ took... The shots of Han and Rey talking about her joining his crew come to my mind as being some of the worst staging and camera placement in a recent big summer blockbuster.

Looks like a fun cyber movie! If there's a film that calls for lots of wild CGI, it would be something like this. I'm not too bothered by the disparaging remarks here on JWFAN, which often comes across as the most cynical place on earth.

Also, I'm getting more and more confident that Silvestri is the right choice for this. He can a) do the classical symphonic stylings of the 80s, b) do 80s electronics (he was a master of this in the actual decade) and c) is still able to compose captivating electronic soundscapes, like this track from COSMOS (love the beat at 2:16):

I would also LOVE a reference to this:

I don't hate them, but really, what's the value of the opinion of someone who loves everything? 

I like people who are critical of things. When they stumble upon something that they like then I'm all ears.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Wow, Spielberg doesn't make another 'boring' historical drama and turns his hand to something much more striking and ambitious (and judging by the trailer, a pretty hard sell of a movie), and folks here still whine and moan about it. Damn millennials! Git back to your Dunkirks and superheroes. Stay safe!

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Only on JWFan!

Come, come, Mr. Steef. Young minds, fresh ideas; be tolerant.

On the other hand, i will probably watch this movie. Like in WOTW, Spielberg probably can hang on at least three memorable set pieces on a shallow plot. Enough for a good two hours at the cinema.

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I don't hate them, but really, what's the value of the opinion of someone who loves everything?

I'm remembering being picked on for the opposite attitude and lol

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I like people who are critical of things. When they stumble upon something that they like then I'm all ears.

I know that has become somewhat of a meme around here, and I'm fine with that (there are worse things to be called than the "guy who loves everything!"), but it's not true, of course. I have an open attitude to everything, but I wouldn't be a film critic if I also didn't like a lot of stuff. In fact, I'm rather notorious for having passionate dislikes about various things -- whether C&C releases, Desplat, Giacchino, a lot of "empty" Hollywood fodder or pretentious art flicks, you name it.

I have a rather opposite angle as yourself. I rarely pay attention to those who -- from the get-go -- seem to hate everything, or are set within the limited timeframe of their formative years. I'm more interested in those who have a wide taste in films and music; who can appreciate things on their own terms while at the same time having a critical mind.

The trailer looks alright. The book is light entertainment, it's pulp fiction I guess, it's fun and doesn't require any effort. It was a perfect palette cleanser at the time I read it. It isn't literature but I can picture it on screen. 

Picturing Spielberg's vision for it is difficult but I think he can make a fun, well made, entertaining film out of this. It won't be spectacular but there'll be little wrong with it. Aside from nitpicks. It's going to be a pop cultural, nostalgia trip. 

3 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

So I could name the most annoying posters, and this would be socially acceptable?  Interesting....

Of course the irony is that I didn't call out the specific people in my own complaining post :devil:

4 hours ago, publicist said:

Like in WOTW, Spielberg probably can hang at least three memorable set pieces on a shallow plot.

There's nothing shallow about a man trying desperately to reconnect with his family. On that level, WOTW is a good film.

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Did Spielberg make this as some sort of contractual obligation? Did he actually have a loaded gun pointed at his head while directing it?

So..he's a "cinematic game-changer", now, eh? Give me strength. 

Sorry to be a downer, but this looks like complete shit.

However... TOM SAWYER! Fuck, yeah!!!!!!!! :rock:

Cline is a big Rush fan so there'll definitely be a Rush track or two in the actual film. 

30 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My newest pet peeve: those who complain what JWFan does or says like it's a monolithic single voice and the complainer is the only sane one. 

I think you speak for us all when you say this.

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Wow! Didn't know that. If it's dystopian, maybe SUBDIVISIONS?

I don't know about that but there are quite a few references to 2112 in the book. Not just someone playing the song but I think Syrinx (sp?) is actually a featured location. Whether it stays that way in the film or not I don't know.