• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
indy4

Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

578 posts in this topic

From Schindler's List to The Big Fucking Giant and a video game movie...

Meanwhile, Scorsese is directing a serial killer movie. Spielberg needs to get himself right.

Because BloodBoal is younger he doesn't remember the time when Spielberg made the seminal film about the Holocaust sandwiched between two dinosaur movies.

From Schindler's List to The Big Fucking Giant and a video game movie...

Meanwhile, Scorsese is directing a serial killer movie. Spielberg needs to get himself right.

hqdefault_zpsm7hwyxf9.jpg

This is Spielberg. The young and eager Spielberg that used to live solely on a diet of movies and air doesn't exist any more.

Alex

Remember when Rocky Balboa surrounded himself with glitter and glamour? Exactly! He could no longer win a fight. Spielberg has to lose everything before he can become an interesting artist again. He has to find back his 'slaughterhouse' spirit.

Alex

Spielberg might be too old, and too comfortable to have the desire to renew himself.

Yeah it's an unrealistic notion or expectation to want someone in their seventies to somehow have a creative or artistic rebirth.

Spielberg, much like Woody Allen or Ridley Scott will do what they have been doing for years now. Making moves their way, with their regular team of collaborators.

Spielberg is on record as saying crowd pleaser movies (his greatest skill) no longer interest him anymore and he stopped being interested in them around the time he was offered Harry Potter 1.

Spielberg, much like Woody Allen or Ridley Scott will do what they have been doing for years now. Making moves their way, with their regular team of collaborators.

Woody Allen is an independent filmmaker. He doesn't need to make compromises or answer to money men. Also, he doesn't have a yacht like that. Spielberg and Scott are too much mired in the web of the Hollywood machine.

Which is true but also insane because with billions to your pocket, what's the worst that could possibly happen to your career?

Which is true but also insane because with billions to your pocket, what's the worst that could possibly happen to your career?

Being remembered as an artist who got mired in the web of Hollywood, of course.

More than enough for B&W!

Always blows all that out of the water!

Steven Spielberg on Always:

Some movies don't take off and there's a thousand reasons why.

Like Empire Of The Sun?

;)

I don't care how complex that movie is. It just strikes me as being so boring and emotionless that I almost always turn it off after 30 minutes or so.

I understand why you say that.

Steven Spielberg on Empire Of The Sun:

I made a movie to satisfy me, not the audience.

Alex - who thinks artists should never think of the audience first

I think it's become pretty clear over the years that when directors make films they have no personal investment in, they don't work out.

An artist needs to have a genuine passion for the art he's working on. The moment Spielberg said he was "done with Indiana Jones," he moved on, both artistically and stylistically. And boy, did it show. The entire movie feels like a low-rent imitation of 80's Spielberg.

Not Mr. Big likes this

He also made The Crystal Skull in such a way so that it would satisfy Lucas.

Steven Spielberg on The Crystal Skull:

I'm very obedient to the stories that George Lucas writes.
crumbs likes this

He also made The Crystal Skull in such a way so that it would satisfy Lucas.

Steven Spielberg on The Crystal Skull:

I'm very obedient to the stories that George Lucas writes.

Thank god Lucas isn't involved with The Force Awakens! (unless that one sucks too)

Hey, that's the chickie from Bates Motel!

Please! Don't be so sexist.

Spielberg really is a lightning fast moviemaker. So he starts shooting this one in December, which makes me think the BFG will be mostly done by that time, apart maybe for all the special effects

Spielberg really is a lightning fast moviemaker. So he starts shooting this one in December, which makes me think the BFG will be mostly done by that time, apart maybe for all the special effects

Nah, he starts filming next June, for a dec. 2017 release.

Hey, that's the chickie from Bates Motel!

Please! Don't be so sexist.

Huh? Are you that bored (that you don't know what to post any more)?