indy4

Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

Recommended Posts

Spielberg could probably fit another intimate drama in there somewhere. Or he might just finish this film as scheduled and Warners will sit on it for 3 months.

 

Either way, with this release now 25+ months away and Episode 8 shooting next month, things are looking good for Williams to avoid any scheduling conflicts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr. Big said:

A march Spielberg movie?  When's that ever happened?

 

I remember that War Horse was originally scheduled for mid-August, another "dumping ground" for movies, but then it eventually got moved to December for Oscars. So this could get moved again into the summer.

 

There's been a little less of a stigma around March release dates in the last ten years, though. It's become a spot for big-budget studio popcorn movies that are not as surefire as the onslaught of comic book movies and franchises to have a shot outside of the summer season, like 300, Clash of the Titans, John Carter, The Hunger Games, Divergent. Disney's been putting all its live-action remakes and non-sequels there too. Kind of like an early summer sample, so I don't think it's that weird for a high-concept Spielberg movie with no major stars to end up there.

 

Plus with Amazing Spider-Man 2 and now Batman vs Superman, and last year with Furious 7 and Avengers 2 both in April, it kinda feels like that's just where summer is starting, anyway......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

 

There's been a little less of a stigma around March release dates in the last ten years, though. It's become a spot for big-budget studio popcorn movies that are not as surefire as the onslaught of comic book movies and franchises to have a shot outside of the summer season, like 300, Clash of the Titans, John Carter, The Hunger Games, Divergent. Disney's been putting all its live-action remakes and non-sequels there too. Kind of like an early summer sample, so I don't think it's that weird for a high-concept Spielberg movie with no major stars to end up there.

 

Plus with Amazing Spider-Man 2 and now Batman vs Superman, and last year with Furious 7 and Avengers 2 both in April, it kinda feels like that's just where summer is starting, anyway......

 

It started with 300 back in March 2007. When that became a huge success, the rivals started trying them out for different movies. Some of them crashed (Jack the Giant Slayer, John Carter), but there were some hefty successes (Alice in Wonderland, The Hunger Games). That paved the way for April to become very lucrative too; Universal shifted the Fast & Furious from a summer to spring franchise. Then Marvel Studios took the wind out of Amazing Spider-Man 2's sails by releasing Captain America: The Winter Soldier in April.

 

Studios want to avoid the crush of titles. That's why WB pretty much decided to release Batman v. Superman on Easter weekend this year, they'll be the first big tentpole film of the year. Why be a johnny come lately in June or July when everyone's still talking about Captain America: Civil War?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Jay said:

FREEING UP WILLIAMS TO SCORE EPISODE 8!!!!!!!!

 

Moving the release date three months ahead does not automatically mean that the production and post-production schedule will move ahead accordingly. It's likely some rearrangement will happen, but some departments could already be set, booked and locked.

 

I guess JW will try to do both Ep8 and Ready Player One, but it's all a matter of post-production schedule of each film. Usually Spielberg prefers to have the score recorded quite in advance (or at least that's what happened for the last few movies), while it remains to be seen if the Ep8 schedule will follow the same pattern of TFA. We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-2-2016 at 10:42 AM, Stefancos said:

Hook and Jurassic Park

 

Yikes! Spielberg's most bland looking movies?

 

Anyway, so I heard Ready Player One does nothing but make references to movies of the '80s? Hmmm...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

“It’s classic Steven Spielberg, right in the center of the sweet spot of really his classic work, but with this whole new world now,” DeLine said. “There could be no one better to bring this to the screen.” 

 

‘Ready Player One’ Is “Classic Steven Spielberg,” Says Producer [Wondercon]

 

Hmmmmm....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! Within 4 consecutive films Rylance ties with Hanks and Ford for 4 Spielberg director/actor collaborations, more than any other actor in his career.

 

Ford will regain the crown in 2019 with Indy 5 though. Makes you wonder if Rylance might play the villain or another Soviet spy for the occasion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Wow! Within 4 consecutive films Rylance ties with Hanks and Ford for 4 Spielberg director/actor collaborations, more than any other actor in his career.

 

Ford will regain the crown in 2019 with Indy 5 though. Makes you wonder if Rylance might play the villain or another Soviet spy for the occasion?

 

Technically Ford has already acted in a Spielberg-directed film 5 times;  He played the principal in E.T. but his single scene was ultimately cut from the final theatrical cut.

 

 

 

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Interesting, which parts? Surely he was too young at the time for the father? Or Malkovich's character?

 

Humor.  It is a difficult concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jay said:

Technically Ford has already acted in a Spielberg-directed film 5 times;  He played the principal in E.T. but his single scene was ultimately cut from the final theatrical cut.

True, but Spielberg himself doesn't consider his deleted role in E.T. in the tally (fair enough, too).

http://screencrush.com/steven-spielberg-indiana-jones-5/

 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Humor.  It is a difficult concept.

I don't get it. :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interesting, which parts? Surely he was too young at the time for the father? Or Malkovich's character?

 

Unfortunately the parts in question weren't disclosed in the report I read. The first part offered was smaller than the beefed up second offer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, crumbs said:

So the only question remaining: can Spielberg fit Rylance, Ford and Hanks into Indy V?

 

Aw man, I would LOVE to see Hanks in an Indiana Jones movie. He'd be great at playing a comic relief role a la Denholm Elliott in Last Crusade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Tom Hanks would be too distracting in an Indy movie!

 

We'll agree to disagree. I bet some people thought Connery was too big a star to cast in Last Crusade!

 

"James Bond in Indiana Jones? Too distracting!"

 

Of course that's totally a straw man argument, I have no idea if anyone actually thought that in 1988.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now