Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

4 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Changing the subject, does anyone else suddenly have a shit ton of emotion wash over them and become teary eyed when they think about how much they love John Williams and his work? I was just listening to a piece and it happened again. 

Oh yes, often. Well, not teary-eyed, but certainly very emotional. 

4 hours ago, WojinPA said:

Some one at the hospital is lauding it as the bestest book ever. I'm reserving judgment. 

I certainly think it's far from that status. That said, perhaps someone who grew up in the 80s would think differently; as a 2000s kid I'm not in the best position to judge it. 

When I read Ready Player One, it was obvious to me it would end up a movie, and my first thought was "how are they going to ever get the rights to use all this material?" Everyone knows Spielberg has said he's going to cut most of the references to his own films (which is a pity), but ironically it's those films that he'd most easily be able to use. But what about all the other references to video games, movies and music? There's a LOT of iconic imagery in there that Spielberg is going to need to get permission to use. And while I know the guy is royalty in Hollywood and gets what he wants, I wonder what kind of trades they're going to have to make with other studios to get permission to use a lot of that stuff.

In any event, great book which should make for a fun movie.

I mean, Spielberg produced Who Framed Roger Rabbit? which was a similar nightmare scenario. I'm guessing it was easier than we might think, especially with him doing it. It's a start that anything owned by Time Warner will be immediately up for grabs.

I have high hopes for this one.  While always competent, Spielberg hasn't made a truly exceptional film in almost 20 years (since Saving Private Ryan).  Hopefully he doesn't Ron Howardize it.

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Love Spielberg in post-apocalyptic mode. Great to see him back doing sci-fi after 12 years of period dramas and kids films.

Are we sure this isn't a kids film?  The book sounds like fairly standard YA stuff.  

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's called Ready Player One. I mean, does anyone actually believe this is not a kids film?

adults who do not seem to realize they are not kids.

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's called Ready Player One. I mean, does anyone actually believe this is not a kids film?

Of course it is...in the same way that BLADE RUNNER is a film about athletics.

A film about children, and starring children, does not necessarily make it "a kids film'.

The source material sounds like your standard teenage/children's fiction material. Doesn't mean the film can't rise above that though.

I read it. There's a prodigious amount of re-writing in order to make it work as a straight 2-hour movie and while there are some good basic notions about the dangers of young people's withdrawal into virtual worlds - think of the 'Simpsons' episode where there's a tv blackout and all the people suddenly come out of their houses blinded by the sun - i think there are zero chances of this being of much relevance beyond a fun popcorn movie.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

I read it. There's a prodigious amount of re-writing in order to make it work as a straight 2-hour movie and while there are some good basic notions about the dangers of young people's withdrawal into virtual worlds - think of the 'Simpsons' episode where there's a tv blackout and all the people suddenly come out of their houses blinded by the sun - i think there are zero chances of this being of much relevance beyond a fun popcorn movie.

I agree. But with some adjustments, it could be a really fund popcorn movie

There's been a goldmine of behind the scenes footage pop up on YouTube from their Birmingham shoot. Anyone with an interest in filmmaking will get a kick out of this footage. Lots of practical effects and old-school techniques on display here. Also, Spielberg's embraced digital filmmaking: they're using drones to film parts of this chase sequence!

Can't wait to see how Williams scores a high-octane, dystopian, futuristic-yet-retro chase sequence. I'm envisioning shades of Anderton's Great Escape with less percussion and more synth.

Most exciting is that this is the first Spielberg/Williams collaboration since Munich or War of the Worlds where I have no idea how Williams will approach the score. Compare that to most of their recent collaborations (The BFG, Lincoln, War Horse, Tintin and KOTCS) which mostly met our expectations.

EDIT: Didn't realise The BFG was shot digitally! Kamisnki says that was just because of the extensive VFX, but I'm assuming RPO will be just as intensive?

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

There's been a goldmine of behind the scenes footage pop up on YouTube from their Birmingham shoot. Anyone with an interest in filmmaking will get a kick out of this footage. Lots of practical effects and old-school techniques on display here. Also, Spielberg's embraced digital filmmaking: they're using drones to film parts of this chase sequence!

As you can see in this and other set videos on YT, it looks like they're using standard 35mm Panavision cameras. I guess they're shooting only drones and perhaps other stuff with digital cameras. IMDb also states it's being filmed on 35mm: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

42 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

As you can see in this and other set videos on YT, it looks like they're using standard 35mm Panavision cameras. I guess they're shooting only drones and perhaps other stuff with digital cameras. IMDb also states it's being filmed on 35mm: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

I noticed there's a couple of HD video operators in their camera department, so I'm guessing it'll be a mix of film and digital (quite commonplace nowadays for directors that prefer the aesthetic of film but don't want to sacrifice the portability/speed of digital rigs -- Spectre being a recent example of blending formats). I'm expecting the film will look similar to all of Spielberg's sci-fi under Kaminski; heavily bleached, high contrast - the "real" world will be cold and desaturated, the "virtual" world warm, glossy and filled with diffusion.

Looks like Panavision 35mm is on the money. Backed up by this article, and the smile-inducing news that Spielberg and Kaminski are shooting anamorphic (Spielberg's embracing the 80's!)

He also recently developed anamorphic lenses for Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One (2018, DP Jansuz Kaminski).

https://britishcinematographer.co.uk/dan-sasaki/

On 9/12/2016 at 8:39 AM, crumbs said:

Can't wait to see how Williams scores a high-octane, dystopian, futuristic-yet-retro chase sequence. I'm envisioning shades of Anderton's Great Escape with less percussion and more synth.

Most exciting is that this is the first Spielberg/Williams collaboration since Munich or War of the Worlds where I have no idea how Williams will approach the score. Compare that to most of their recent collaborations (The BFG, Lincoln, War Horse, Tintin and KOTCS) which mostly met our expectations.

EDIT: Didn't realise The BFG was shot digitally! Kamisnki says that was just because of the extensive VFX, but I'm assuming RPO will be just as intensive?

Cool!

• 4 months later...

Film is apparently 40% live-action, 60% mocap. Didn't expect that at all, figured the film would be entirely live-action with digital enhancements for the OASIS scenes, but apparently the actors are mocap animations during OASIS segments (ie. Avatar).

http://collider.com/ready-player-one-movie-oasis-motion-capture/#parzival

Surprisingly WETA don't seem to have any involvement in RPO, despite doing the mocap for Tintin & BFG; the main VFX house is ILM.

Can't see Williams scoring this until very late in 2017. Wouldn't surprise me if he wrote KOEM before even starting RPO.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Apparently Spielberg will be at Comic-Con on July 22, and they'll debut the first footage! 

Maybe he'll say something on the composer situation. 

collider.com/warner-bros-comic-con-panel-2017-details-justice-league/

Steven Spielberg will make his first appearance at Comic-Con since he showed up in 2011 with Peter Jackson to tout The Adventures of Tintin. Spielberg will be debuting the first footage from his highly anticipated sci-fi adaptation Ready Player One with cast members Tye Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, and T.J. Miller in attendance alongside author Ernest Cline and screenwriter Zak Penn. 

4 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah hope he gets asked about it, either from the moderator or audience.

We'll probably get one of those diplomatic answers, anyway, not a true honest one...

5 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

We'll probably get one of those diplomatic answers, anyway, not a true honest one...

Woah.  Are you really thinking there's behind the scenes drama to hide here?  I don't think so.  I think the most innocent answer is the likely one here until proven otherwise.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Woah.  Are you really thinking there's behind the scenes drama to hide here?  I don't think so.  I think the most innocent answer is the likely one here until proven otherwise.

No, no drama. But it'll be like "we hired Newman because I wanted to keep it in the family"...

10 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

No, no drama. But it'll be like "we hired Newman because I wanted to keep it in the family"...

I honestly believe that's something he and Williams actually thought up together when deciding who he should hire.  Obviously the real root reason is, "I like his music for character dramas," but I bet the connection to Williams and film score history helped clinch the deal in Spielberg's mind.

5 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Obviously he's not gonna tell everyone about how he really showed John the movie and John said 'Wow Steve, what a piece of crap, why don't you grow the fuck up already' 

Or, if it indeed is true that Williams already worked on it, they parted after both felt this wasn't really up JW's alley.