THE X-FILES

Jay

How am I going to fit this new Season 11 in my existing blu-ray boxset? Fox was good to leave a space in there for Season 10, but now it's full.

They shouldn't make this new season. It'll look out of place in my blu-ray collection.

On 6/29/2017 at 10:31 PM, Sally Spectra said:

How am I going to fit this new Season 11 in my existing blu-ray boxset? Fox was good to leave a space in there for Season 10, but now it's full.

They shouldn't make this new season. It'll look out of place in my blu-ray collection.

Just remove season 9 and use it as a paper weight or something.  Problem solved.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Watching that video, it is astonishing how poorly David Duchovny has aged compared to how amazing Gillian Anderson has aged.  What a difference!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Were they really married in the second movie?  We still haven't watched it yet

Nope.

7 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

No, they weren't. They were just living together.

Also nope. They hadn't seen each other for a while until they were drafted back in to the FBI.

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wasn't Mulder a hermit with a beard who's gone into recluse? And Dana was working in the Catholic hospital.

Yeah but they were still living together. Not married though.

It wasn't until the 2016 series we found they'd been separated since the 2008 movie.

If I recall correctly, we are introduced to Mulder by Scully coming home to him.  And they definitely share a scene in bed talking about William (maybe the only thing in the movie that touches on the larger X-Files canon).

Haven't seen the movie since it was in theaters, though, and probably wouldn't revisit it.

I didn't think it was bad, but it wasn't what I was expecting at the time (something alien based, not monster of the week).  I wouldn't rewatch it, but in the same way that I don't rewatch 98% of the movies and shows that I watch.  I also wouldn't rewatch the series, except for maybe some stand-out stand alone episodes.

The reason I brought it up is the first thing Duchovny says in that video I posted is that they were married in the second movie

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

The reason I brought it up is the first thing Duchovny says in that video I posted is that they were married in the second movie

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I don't know why he would say that.

707205.jpg

706388.jpg

21 hours ago, Jay said:

Watching that video, it is astonishing how poorly David Duchovny has aged compared to how amazing Gillian Anderson has aged.  What a difference!

Well, he's also about 8 years older.  He looked really good in I Want To Believe.

• 3 weeks later...

The X-Files 11x01 My Struggle III

Ehhhhhhhh not as bad as the My Struggle eps from last season but not great.  When the episode ended my wife said "this is like a sci-fi soap opera" and that's a pretty good way to sum it up.  Not sure how I feel about the last season climactic ending being turning into a vision of Scully, nor about her baby being CSM's and not Mulder's after all this time, etc etc.  I don't care about any of that crap any more, I just want to see Mulder and Scully investigate weird stuff every week please.  The direction in this episode was kinda funny, like Carter knew there was so much info he wanted to dump out, he had the score be fast-paced the entire time, quickly cut from scene to scene, and had the camera always moving, always zooming around all over the place.  Kinda funny.

The X-Files 11x02 This

Well, that was much better than the season premiere.  Actually had a story you could follow, and Mulder and Scully being themselves and actually having fun together.  I think Chris Carter (and/or Glen Morgan) has been watching Black Mirror and wanted to do his take on the "AI has rights" stories they've been doing more and more of, probably didn't realize practically the entire season of BM this time around would be about that.  I dunno if that aspect of the episode made the most sense, but it was a decent enough mcguffin for them to chase this week.  Here's hoping the next batch of episodes are true monster-of-the-week type stuff!

I completely missed that a new season had even been announced already and only noticed and saw the two episodes a couple of days ago. Problem is, I can't remember what happened in the previous season anymore, at all. Perhaps I'm watching too many series...

That's correct, but that's where most of the mythology was anyway.  Nothing of substance was learned before that, not that I can recall, at least, except introducing that pair of annoying proto-Scully-and-Mulder's.  I didn't mean the actual episodes were erased, but rather the info they divulged.

14 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I completely missed that a new season had even been announced already and only noticed and saw the two episodes a couple of days ago. Problem is, I can't remember what happened in the previous season anymore, at all. Perhaps I'm watching too many series...

At least on Hulu, the season 11 premiere began with a 2-3 minute recap of the relevant mythology and last year's major events

I really enjoyed the siblings in the episode. They had just enough goofy energy.  And I thought they were played with great fun by Karin Konoval, who you’ll remember as the Peacock mother in the episode Home.

10 hours ago, Denise Bryson said:

Tonight's ep with the dopplegangers was alright. The jab at Trump was stoopid, but whatever.

The whole episode was like Carter reacting to Twin Peaks and True Detective!  And he's never had a very fine brush when it comes to being topical has he.

I watched the first two last night.  The premiere suffered from some of the same problems as the two mythos episodes from last season.  Mainly the exposition dump.  It wasn’t quite as boring as those two, so that’s a plus.

I honestly had no problem with either retcon thing (the fever dream thing gives a sense of urgency to this season and allows us to hit the ground running).  The Smoking Man/William thing is fine because I was never really invested in who William’s father was anyway.  It was clunking delivered like most of the infodump in the episode.

Really, really liked episode 2 - a fairly self-contained story that moved, some slight advancement of the mythology, great interaction between Scully and Mulder, some humor.  Maybe not an all-time great, but definitely the second best thing from the rebooted series so far (best so far - Weremonster last year).

Calling it now that’s Skinner relayed all of the ep1 information to Mulder/Scully and they’re putting on a show for anyone who might be ears-on.

Ep 3 - also pretty good!  Not an all time great, but a fun hook, a brisk pace, and some really nice Mulder and Scully character stuff.  Would have fit in as a solid mid-run episode from the original series.