THE X-FILES

Jay

Is it concerning that Fox only sent out screeners for one episode? Hopefully the first episode is just an anomaly.

Chris Carter should really have tried to get Vince Gilligan back for this in some capacity. 

21 hours ago, crumbs said:

Is it concerning that Fox only sent out screeners for one episode? Hopefully the first episode is just an anomaly.

Chris Carter should really have tried to get Vince Gilligan back for this in some capacity. 

http://www.slashfilm.com/x-files-vince-gilligan/

This story is almost a year old. But... Duh.... 

On 1/15/2016 at 4:50 PM, Stefancos said:

I support anything that gets Gillian Anderson on the big screen!

I'm fully behind her too....er, her decisions.

On 1/15/2016 at 5:27 PM, Jay said:

You know what?  I've actually only seen her on the big screen one time, in the 1998 X-Files movie

In addition to the link Woj posted, there was a more recent interview with Carter where he said he did contact Gilligan, but just couldn't make it work.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Why didn't you have an interest in it when you were a teenager?

I had two friends who were obsessed with it and tried to make me a fan, but I was defiant against it. I also hadn't watched since the Pilot and didn't want to start in the middle. Immature pride kept me from trying. We rented the movie, which was good even without understanding the finer plot details of what was really going on. I'd watch occasional episodes on cable but it wasn't until last year that my lady suggested we binge on Netflix. 

Surely you'd be more likely to get an answer to that by googling than asking a John Williams fan forum?

Anyways, regardless of when it technically airs in your country, torrents will be available about 47 hours from the time of this post.

I watched the pilot and Deep Throat tonight.  The latter is sort of the quintessential X-Files episode for me.  I remember watching it when it first aired.  The shot of Mulder looking up at the experimental craft stuck with me in a strange and great way, becoming one of those random isolated memories that in part defines a whole time of one's life.  My brother and I would excitedly look for UFOs constantly after seeing that.  And I like the little three-chord motif that runs through the episode.  Doesn't it also recur as a theme for Deep Throat himself throughout the series?

Anyway, I really love this show.  I know the monster of the week episodes generally get more praise than the mythology ones because the central arc didn't play out so cleanly, but I far prefer those episodes.  It's almost like two different shows for me, each enjoyable, but the core alien plot feels so good, it's a heavy dose of nostalgia, the feeling of being a kid.  

That's one of the nagging problems in The X-Files that bugged me for years, how the mytharc episodes and the MOTW episodes feel almost like they exist in two separate universes.

In one episode, aliens are going to kill us all and the sky is falling, but the following episode, the agents encounter unexplained phenomena that could definitely hold its own against extra-terrestrial invaders, such as the genie in Season 7, Bert Reynolds in Season 9, that ghost in Season 1, maybe Bruce Campbell in Season 6, um... Pusher!

So, I dunno.

There's just a huge difference tonally.  MOTW episodes taken together aren't really what the show was about though, if you ask me.  Fun, creepifying diversions and whatnot.  But The X-Files is at its strongest and most iconic when tapping into the 90s atmosphere, government paranoia and conspiracy, and alien stuff.  

The MOTW episodes sometimes function as filler. When we binge watched later seasons, I'd find myself hoping they'd get through those episodes quickly so we could get back to Krycek and Doggett and CGB and all the other dangers that want to kill our team. 

Also, why would Mulder and Scully still even have jobs? They spend thousands of dollars flying around Vancouver and LA decidedly not solving mysteries and interfering with the conspirators' expensive infrastructure. I realize CGB didn't want to make "his son" (a plot twist I resent) a martyr, but still, it doesn't seem realistic. 

Back to the MOTW episodes being filler... Imagine Breaking Bad interrupting its tight story arc to show a few entire episodes where Walter and family simply go to a movie or attend a parent teacher conference. I'm binge watching TNG and we get this. The Romulans and Cardassians are big threats, but we still have holodeck accidents and Q adventures and Wesley Crusher love stories. Even the tight story arc of later DS9 seasons break down when they linger in the holosuites or the Ferengi arrive to monkey around. 

If The X-Files had been a little shorter or clearly known where it was going from Day One, it would have benefitted from the story tightness. As it stands, its meandering is part of the charm of 90s TV laying the groundwork for the serialized TV we enjoy today. 

11 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I know the monster of the week episodes generally get more praise than the mythology ones because the central arc didn't play out so cleanly, but I far prefer those episodes.

I always had the opposite impression among the X-Files community. 

I agree with the tonal differences.  It seemed there was more weight behind the myth-arc ones, more at stake, more consequences.  I suppose by design that has to be true, but the MOTW episodes were still a fun diversion.  I cared about both episode types equally.  The mythology go so convoluted, perhaps intentionally, that, like Mulder, you never quite knew what was true and what wasn't.  There were myriad layers upon layers.  To that extent I relied on the MOTW shows to keep me invested and grounded with the show.

50 minutes ago, Woj said:

its meandering is part of the charm of 90s TV laying the groundwork for the serialized TV we enjoy today. 

Yep!

The X Files was at it's best was in an episode like Home and the Peacocks.

33 minutes ago, Drax said:

I like IWTB more than most fans, it seems. It could have all ended there for M&S and I would have been satisfied.

I actually really liked it.  Thought it was classic X-Files.

We're just a couple of hours away, Gah!  I'm drudging up an old meme!

https://i.imgur.com/7drHiqrh.jpg

Rob Bowman's film was much more cinematic than Carter's, but I put that down to Fox slashing their budget for the sequel.

I found Carter's direction a little lacking, but I'm also glad they recaptured the isolated, cold forest visuals of the original Vancouver-based seasons.

I don't particularly love the idea of the central conceit of the show being subverted, but that is actually rather fitting for The X-Files, and I'm willing to see where it goes.

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

So excited for this! Hope it isn't as big a letdown as the second movie was... from all accounts the first episode is a dud but 2 & 3 are vintage X-Files. :)

Yes, the first episode is a dud. I wasn't impressed. A lot of stuff seemed out of character. It seems like they're being selective with what they acknowledge from the last two seasons. The fact that two other agents ran the X-Files after Mulder's disappearance/abduction/resurrection. If there's a good reason for You Know Who to be alive, I can't wait. They did acknowledge Mulder and Scully's baby and relationship, so they're not discounting the last season completely. 

I liked it, seemed very X-Files to me.  It was like a take on the Season 5 arc where Mulder buys into a different angle on the alien conspiracy brought on by Kritschgau at the end of Season 4.  The fact of the matter is, you just never know what the truth is since many of the characters don't know it either.  This may replace the older myth-arc, or further reinforce it.  Everyone thinks they hold the ultimate information, like Kritschgau did, only be part of the lie without knowing it.

That run of conspiracy theories between Mulder and O'Malley was insane. 

I liked the episode over all, even moreso considering how superior it was to some of the worst mythology episodes.  That said, the conspiracy stuff in the episode was totally bonkers in a bad way.

Yeah it's Carter basically throwing up every bit of conspiracy he's taken in over the last fifteen years.  I suspect it's all just a clumsy setup, since word is after this premiere things are much stronger.

"Founder's Mutation" was great!  I already liked the revival premier, but that was more of a setup, and this was the payoff.

10 minutes ago, Woj said:

I don't like their speech tones. They talk too quietly, mumbling in a monotone. 

There does seem to be a prevailing sadness to their tone, especially Scully, which seems intentional.  The way she sounded in the alternate-reality-flashback was much different so it seems to be a conscious choice.