THE X-FILES

Jay

I think the resurrected Cancer Man is William Scully. His alien DNA caused advanced aging to bring him to the same point as the original CGB Spender before the missile found him.

I enjoyed it.  I liked that the monster-of-the-week was just a backdrop for the personal drama.  Scully and Mulder had some really good scenes with each other.  Many things about the monster were left unexplained, which didn't bother me.

It isn't really a mini-series is it?

So far it seens to be 6 individual stories with a very loose arc concerning Mulder and Scully's kid, though the last ep seems to tie into the first one.

Enjoying it, but I can imagine that for fans of the show it ultimately not be enough. 

Hope to see a bit more of Skinner and Smokey before it all ends.

It's a special series event type of thing.  No guarantee for more, but they've definitely constructed this short run with an through-arc concerning William, which helps new fans invest a bit more in the episodes.

It's gonna feel like it's over before it really started I fear. Part of it is because of the rather laconic feel of the show so far. 

It doesnt feel like it's special that the X-Files is back, in a way. 

A very business as usual vibe. I actually admire that it doesn't seem to be blowing its own horn too much. But I can understand why some were hoping for something more spectacular or dramatic.

Because you have 4 of the 6 episodes being stand-alone MOTW shows I guess people can't help but think that this event series is way too short since there's not a lot to grab onto in such a short timespan.  Aside from the William connection it doesn't feel like it's building toward something "big".  That's okay with me since I would have been happy with one new episode, let alone 6.

But I think a lot of folks would have essentially preferred a 6 hour mini-series that was just one long story and it would go out with a bang.  Due to the nature of its construction, I don't see how they can do a proper send off in just the last episode.  My feeling is that Fox really wants this to continue in some form, be it an ongoing short series, or an official reboot with new characters.

4 episodes in and The X-Files is still winning Monday night when you factor in overall viewers coupled with the 18-49 year old demographic.

Looks like it did well on Channel 5 too.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/feb/09/the-x-files-channel-5-highest-rating-us-drama-launch-since-2009

Tonight's episode was alright.  I am seeing a lot of fans calling it one of the worst episodes of the series, but I liked it more than last week's pretty handily.  It was pretty preachy, but fun for the most part.  That hallucination sequence, tho...  I thought Skinner was speaking for the audience when he called it embarrassing.

Yeah it wasn't terrible.  I don't really look at internet reactions to anything beyond what appears here, but I did peek around for this and it seems like fans are reacting to this little run with great exaggeration in both directions.  Calm down everyone.  There'll be more. This isn't "it."  

The X-Files 10x01 My Struggle

A lackluster episode by any standard.  The main problem is that it tries to do way too many things at once: Catch you up on characters you've known for 10 years that had 202 episodes and 2 movies; explain the gist of the show for new viewers; Set up main story for the episode to resolve by the end; Set up a reason for viewers new and old to want to watch the entire season.  It's no surprise that the resulting episode is not only muddled but insanely fast paced, and thats its other biggest problem.

Events happen that just have no weight because we're quickly on to the next thing.  Mulder is shown a crazy ship built with alien technology that has fancy cloaking tech (these special effects were great and better than anything ever seen on the old show) - this is huge, big physical proof of everything he was always seeking but we barely have time to take it in before we're off to the next scene.

Joel McHale is great, I like him in most everything he does, but his character was so undefined here it was hard to care about him much.  Same as the abductee girl, I found it hard to invest at all in her past or her future.

The reveal of Smoking Man with a plastic faceplate at the end was rather silly.  They're really going to say he survived being missiled?  Yikes!

The episode is essentially 40 minutes of trying to tell a million stories that are just an excuse to get the characters from where they left off in the last movie to where the x-files are re-opened, which happens in the last 2 minutes.  It felt very forced and completely inorganic, and totally illogical that they'd both get full special agent credentials after being away for so long.  But whatever, X-Files is back!

The episode certainly wasn't bad enough to make me nor probably any viewers not want to watch the other 5, but I think they should have spent more time on making the first episode a really good one.  Oh well, no biggie!

2 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

Let us all pray they don't reboot with Einstein and Miller.

I wouldn't mind that at all, as long as Miller is shown to have more depth than he has so far.

If they had been their own show to begin with, I wouldn't mind it, especially because I like Lauren Ambrose so much, but so much of my love for The X Files is defined by Mulder and Scully, Duchovny and Anderson, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

18 hours ago, Taikomochi said:

...so much of my love for The X Files is defined by Mulder and Scully, Duchovny and Anderson, it just wouldn't be worth it for me.

A chemistry they will not likely be able to replicate.  I'm not sure if there's ever been such a perfect combination of characters and actors on another show.

14 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Fringe?

Great show.

The X-Files 10x02 Founder's Mutation

Much better than the season premiere.  Nice freaky murder (/ suicide) to start the episode (that was really well done), and then more of a classic Mulder/Scully investigation as a result, complete with a meeting with Skinner.

The weird dream sequences showing Mulder and Skinner envisioning life with their kid were weird and I don't think they pulled off whatever they were trying to do.

The freak show at the end was really well done, with really good effects.  

Overall a fine, neither exceptionally good nor exceptionally bad episode, that puts the show back on tracks after the rocky premiere.

I think Scully's fantasy was not tonally well done, but I thought Mulder's was great and heartbreaking.  It made a lot of sense that he would fear William being abducted, but I hadn't considered it.  It was a clever touch.

Scully's... Actually, I have felt Gillian Anderson has really not been great this series.  I always liked her better than Duchovny, but she seems really disinterested in the material, and I recall her fantasy sequence being especially bad.  She seemed more like a creepy nanny than a mother to William.