Interstellar Live To Projection @ Royal Albert Hall, London, 30th March 2015

Dixon Hill

RAH comes with an organ.

Edit: I see Sharky jumped the, uh, shark already? ;)

Yup - the Grand Organ will be in play:

Interstellar Live will see the 2014 film shown on the big screen, whilst composer Hans Zimmer leads a 60-piece orchestra in a simultaneous performance of the movies Academy Award and BAFTA nominated score.

The evening will be introduced by Christopher Nolan and Sir Michael Caine, who played Professor John Brand in the film, and will also see a pre-performance talk on the science behind Interstellar from executive producer and theoretical physicist Kip Thorne.

This live in concert will let fans experience the film like never before, with the full might of an orchestra and 9,999 pipes of the Hall's Grand Organ creating the ultimate filmic experience in Londons most iconic venue.

I really wanted to go to that, but that's crazy short notice. Would have been somewhat possible in May-ish....

Yeah, they announced it yesterday and it's almost sold out. Crazy.

But then, it's because it's an Oscar nominated popular score that happens to be among this composer's finest. And him, Caine and Nolan will be there, too. Sort of self-explanatory.

Karol

Are you sure it was announced yesterday? I saw it pop up on Facebook somewhere earlier this week.

It was announced earlier this week that tickets would be made available on February 20th.

Ah! That explains a lot.

It's just too short notice and too much of a trek now that I'd have to traverse all of North America in addition to the Atlantic. Sigh.

I can completely understand that. Expenses/travelling are main reason I still haven't seen John Williams in flesh.

Karol

Are you sure it was announced yesterday? I saw it pop up on Facebook somewhere earlier this week.

It was announced earlier this week that tickets would be made available on February 20th.

There ya go!

And yes, Jim and Karol, one of you must report your findings!

• 4 weeks later...
For those that are in the US and can't fly over for the L2P - there will be a special event screening:
Fathom Events and Paramount are excited to present Beyond the World of Interstellar. Fans will Experience Christopher Nolan’s cinematic masterpiece Interstellar like never before with all-new exclusive footage. The night will include Red Carpet shots, as the stars gather for the gala screening of Interstellar Live at the Royal Albert Hall in London, a special Q&A with Director Christopher Nolan, world-renowned physicist Kip Thorne and composer Hans Zimmer as they discuss the art, science and music behind Interstellar, and exclusive access to rehearsals with Academy Award-winning composer Hans Zimmer as he prepares for the Interstellar Live screening. The event will be one night only on Tuesday, April 7th, 2015.
I assume this will have the score track replaced with a recording of the live performance from London. Won't be just AMC hosting the screenings as it's also up on some other independent theatre sites and Fandango. Tickets on sale soon.
Also this makes me more excited for the L2P as I wonder which other stars may be in attendance...

That's essentially the same as playing the DVD of ET with the live to screen performance....

Yeah that's pretty much the point. Only that also a recording of the red carpet, rehearsal footage, and the pre-performance in conversation with Nolan, Zimmer and Thorne will also be played.

FYI US people - tickets for Beyond The World of Interstellar are now up on http://www.fandango.com/beyondtheworldofinterstellar_181606/movietimes

Also more info:

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/beyond-the-world-of-interstellar/more-info/details

Experience "Interstellar" like never before with all-new exclusive material including behind-the-scenes footage and never-before-seen interviews with director Christopher Nolan and world-renowned physicist Kip Thorne, and a special musical performance of the film’s score by a full orchestra.

Fathom Events and Paramount Pictures are pleased to bring this cinematic masterpiece back to the big screen for a special one night event on April 7 at 7:00 p.m. local time in select cinemas nationwide. Directed by the legendary Christopher Nolan, "Interstellar" tells the epic story of a group of brave explorers who must leave a foundering Earth behind to lead an expedition traveling beyond this galaxy to discover whether mankind has a future among the stars.

Beyond the World of "Interstellar" gives audiences the opportunity to explore the global blockbuster like never before. From behind-the-scenes footage about the making of the film, to a special introduction by Sir Michael Caine and an exclusive musical performance recorded at the Royal Albert Hall in London, this is an experience you don’t want to miss.

Professor Stephen Hawking and Professor Brian Cox will both be introducing and hosting the pre-show talk! Caine will still be introducing the film.

Zimmer isn't conducting tonight - Gavin Greenaway is FYI. Zimmer nay be performing/leading with the orchestra tho I think on piano.

mere hours to go - HYYYYYPE

Whitacre is a big Zimmer fanboy (without the negative connotations).

This event looks great though. Would love to see the score performed live.

Okay here we go...my review.

CBXGqXpWwAAd9P_.jpg

INTERSTELLAR LIVE

So the evening began surprisingly with a red carpet, which after a bit I left and just went in lol, as I was gonna see everyone inside anyway. Turns out I missed Chastain but oh well.

CBXUr4JWEAAv2Fc.jpg

So the evening began...with a really nice and short intro from Stephen Hawking himself, who introduced everyone on stage! Extended applause all around. Then the pre-show talk, which was really quite nice. Some things we've known before such as that 'Day One' story were brought up, and Kip had a couple of slides explaining the Tesseract and how the black hole came to be and how Nolan decided to eschew scientific accuracy for a couple of thing such as the Doppler shift...you'll probably see that first bit online or somewhere (that April 7, I believe, special showing thing across the US?) soon, as it was filmed and all.

CBXUtuUWEAA_0VS.jpg

Now for the main bit, after the intro from Caine and Nolan and Zimmer...yup it began. It was damn good. Really really fantastic hearing it live as the film plays, and it doesn't need describing, you can imagine the feeling.... But the real kickers came in the second half...the whole Coward/Imperfect Lock/No Time For Caution sequence was chilling and really awesome, but NOTHING, not even, what I feel is a bit overhyped tbh, NTFC (of course the film version with organs and all, and of course applause at the end)...came close to Detach. WOW. WOW. WOW. Jaw hit the floor immediately when the organ kicked in, the sheer power, well I guess the extreme bass isn't just from post production huh. It hits you right there. And the Wagnerian organ/strings/wind combo at the end was just the icing wow. I was probably shaken and overwhelmed with joy/feels/epic and exhaustion at the end of that, which is something I have never quite felt ever during a live performance. And also another bit I loved was the slight variations in orchestrations in such in the bits you heard over and over...especially Day One/Who's They. Everything was just beautifully performed, I got extreme chills at the end credits, where it was really nice seeing different parts of the audience applauding even people like Paul Franklin, David Gyasi and so on...and of course the big cheer (which I kicked off) when "A Christopher Nolan Film/INTERSTELLAR" came up.

CBXvSsXW4AAdz2S.jpg

Overall....probably an even better way to experience the movie than 70mm IMAX. Unless you can fit a 60-piece orchestra and a giant fuck-off organ in a 70mm IMAX....but it wouldn't match Albert Hall acoustics though TBH. And while I really hope they do a tour of this like Giacchino did with Star Trek/Into Darkness as you all HAVE to experience this...it will never be quite the same performed by most if not all of the same performers from the recording sessions, Zimmer himself, and of course the giant 9,999-pipe fuck-off organ in question.

CBYVBs9WoAA7Vft.jpg

CBYVDVeWsAAEH48.jpg

CBYVEwnWAAEktH6.jpg

CBYVHQ3WsAALFT6.jpg

10/10 (as if this even needs a score, it transcends that :) Thank you Hans, Roger, Gavin, all the performers, RAH and Orchid for actually organising this (hope this gets them to do even more recent movies with excellent scores too) and of course Nolan.

(that one's for you, Grey :) )

Sounds like an awesome event! I would have gone it if was anywhere close to me!

Karol, please share your thoughts too!