A Guide To Hans Zimmer's Interstellar

Dixon Hill

Excellent analysis TGP, I really enjoyed reading it!

And I look forward to following along while listening to the score next time.

Do you plan on adding a section to cover the album-only tracks First Step, Day One, Day One Dark, Tick - Tock, Organ Variation, and Murph?

Finally, under 5m20,you might want to change "loosing" to "losing" :)

In my haste I double posted AND made a typo. Idiot!

Like the previous ones, I probably won't add anything for any of the non-cues. In this case there's even more overlap between them and the music in the the film.

Great stuff TGP! Really enjoyed reading it.

It's interesting that you chose not associate any of the themes specifically to the daughter/father relationship, and rather to the broader concepts. I suppose it is more appropriate, given their use.

Whatever Hans had in mind when writing them, they weren't necessarily utilized strictly to fit that. And this is just my own thinking anyway. I believe he views most of them as having different meanings, related to gravity/time/quantum mechanics or something like that.

percussion (including, at least, timpani and bass marimba)

You forgot the woodblock! YOU FORGOT THE WOODBLOCK!!!!

Great job compadre. I also liked the handwritten sketches, I'll probably do that for my Man of Steel sketches. Much better than shitty Noteflight.

Fucking woodblock. Added.

Yeah I don't remember what I used for the Inception notation but it was a pain to do and it has no real tactile charm. I shouldn't have been lazy though and actually scanned them.

percussion (including, at least, timpani and bass marimba)

You forgot the woodblock! YOU FORGOT THE WOODBLOCK!!!!

Great job compadre. I also liked the handwritten sketches, I'll probably do that for my Man of Steel sketches. Much better than shitty Noteflight.

You really need to get a better notation program! Noteflight is awful.

I assume others have noticed that the section at the beginning of Dreaming of the Crash, up to the organ chord, is repeated twice again?

I'm not surprised, as Zimmer creates listening experiences even more than Williams does. Still annoying though.

Oh on the original album, you mean. Stay is a "suite" but includes the opening cue as heard in the film - Dreaming of the Crash is more of an album edit, at least as far as the ambient sounds are concerned. Where We're Going is exactly as it is in the film.