Star Wars: Battlefront (2015 reboot)

Luke Skywalker

• 2 weeks later...

It's been mostly positive, actually, though only one notable outlet rated it 8/10, most are 7/10. Surprise of surprises, it's because of a lack of content.

Actually, given LucasFilm wanted this game out before TFA, that actually makes it a real part of the Battlefront family - the first game was rushed with less content than they wanted it to have too (Kashyyyk was in there because it was in Episode III but they weren't allowed to identify it as such).

Apparently the Season Pass is early release for free content that will include a bunch of new modes plus new planets and four heroes. Assume that the four packs include a planet each, with Jakku, that brings the planet total up to 9. Then afterwards, the paid DLC happens. So that means that the five planets that are to be free DLC were probably meant to be included but were unfinished in time for release.

I wish this game had some cool single player content, I'm not into the competitive side at all. Hell I'll take on bots over humans any day of the week. Because humans are untrustworthy jackasses. Just send in the clones !

Here's my thoughts on the game so far (copied from my FB post):

Mini review of Star Wars Battlefront.

DICE have done a good job on recreating the Star Wars feel. It's a very competent shooter with some nice throwbacks to older Star Wars games. The biggest issue is the lack of content, especially the Single Player experience. The AI there is decent enough to get away with having more than just Training, Battles and Survival. The Multiplayer obviously has more modes and is quite fun (it's my first online shooter so I kind of suck compared to the other guys - or, let's put it this way, I was playing a stormtrooper for most of the matches, so that part is accurate lol) but again there is a lack of content. Some of the maps are largely the same as each other (Walker Assault and Supremacy share the same maps). Heroes are fun and on the PS4 starfighters are just as controllable as they were back in the original game. The token system is a nice idea for certain things but for others certain systems should be given in their stead. For instance, it doesn't really make sense to have a token that puts you into an AT-ST when it would be better if they had static AT-STs located at certain spawn points you could just hop in. People were ragging on the AT-ATs being AI controlled as well, but in all fairness that's probably for the best.

If you're looking for a continuation of the style from the first two games, I am afraid you'll be disappointed. It has quite a few callbacks, such as the ability to switch between first and third person (quite handily, you do not need to pause the game to do this now) and third person is handled really well.

All in all, Star Wars Battlefront is a competent shooter that is let down by the lack of content at launch. The Battle of Jakku will add two maps to the game and there will be four content packs you can get early if you got the seaosn pass. Setting those aside for the moment and judging the game at launch, I would give it a 7/10. It's a good start to a rebooted version of the franchise, but it clearly needed a bit more time in development.

Looking at Metacritic, while the pro critics are being reasonable enough, I laught at some of the angry fanboys on there giving the game 2/10 or 0/10. I think they should be made to play a real 2/10 game. Anybody got "Digital Homicide LLC" on their contacts?

The reaction has been exactly what I was expecting it to be and so I'll wait for the Premium Edition with all the DLC included (plus a whole host of DICE balance and honing patches which will no doubt make the game more appealing to play than it is now).

• 3 weeks later...

Real Life Mod - 4K 60FPS

Bloody amazing looking. A crying shame that there's no campaign for this.

How do you get this mod? Is it available or just a developer demo?

Real Life Mod - 4K 60FPS

Bloody amazing looking. A crying shame that there's no campaign for this.

How do you get this mod? Is it available or just a developer demo?

I'm not sure if it's already out or a work in progress, but it's for the PC release of the game and should need quite a well equiped rig from the looks of things. Mods like these are always put together by the community and free.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing Battlefront lately.  It's frustrating how easy and often I die in the game but I'm enjoying it overall.  

I think I sort of hate the music now.  It's convincing as Williams pastiche but it rides far too close to its inspirations and kind of devalues the original Williams music a bit by existing.  There's "Not The Battle of Hoth", "Not The Dune Sea", "Not Alliance Assembly" and etc.  It almost sounds like there are a few "Not" tracks from The Force Awakens too.  

I'm not sure its the composer's fault though, as it was likely requested that they sound so similar.  

Plus you can't fucking turn it off.  (yes, I know you can turn it off in game,but at the end of every match, that same obnoxious "not-the-Star-Wars-theme" fanfare plays at full blast)

Yeah, that's the one peeve I have. Having m ore of the Williams music from those parts of the film the battles are based on would have made the experience more authentic in my book. I really miss "Snow Battle" on Walker Assault.

On 30/12/2015 at 6:04 PM, Mr. Big said:

Plus you can't fucking turn it off.

This is a huge complaint for me. Few things annoy me more than annoying music, especially in things like video games that require your undivided attention. It just brings me out of the experience. 

I played the game over the holiday a cousin's house, and I've got to agree about the music. It's not offensively bad by any means, but it's so lacking in personality that when Williams returns you're almost relieved. It's like watching a robot perform standup comedy followed by a human.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unexpectedly, I've been playing this game a lot with folks, particularly fighter squadron, which is a bloody riot.  I find some of the original music really irksome though if it didn't repeat itself in every round it might be less annoying. 

7 hours ago, Gistech said:

Come on, they could have chosen better heroes than those. What about Chewbacca and Tarkin?

They're going to be releasing DLC for months to come for this game.  I'll be incredibly shocked if Chewie is not playable.  Tarkin on the other hand....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Called it!

Seriously, given there is no TFA content aside from the Jakku map it would have made more sense to have it release to tie in with Rogue One. It clearly needed more development time, and this admission makes me afraid for the state the second game will come out in.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Jay said:

Death Star DLC coming

Excellent! Finally the most Star Wars-ey part that ever Star Wars-ed makes its way into that game. :D

You missed a rather large piece of news.

Tomorrow sees the game updated with a new single player option titled 'Skirmish'. This brings over "Walker Assault" and "Fighter Squadron" into single player mode, complete with bots. It's not a 100% port of online. For instance, there is no customization, nor is it tied to your online career in any way. Here's a list of things Skirmish has:

-Walker Assault and Fighter Squadron modes are to be available, with further modes added if these do well.

-All stock maps for both modes, plus the free DLC maps Graveyard of Giants, Twilight On Hoth and Survivors Of Endor.

-Normal, Hard and Master difficulties (Normal has the bots pretty much as target practice but they are much better on Hard and Master difficulties)

-Bots use diverse and play the objectives. They are not the same bots as the ones in Missions and will have the same health and recovery as the player. They still use a 'class' system, but this is redesigned for Walker Assault.

-Bots will also use vehicles in Walker Assault, including AT-STs and T-47 Airspeeders, which the AI will use in an attempt to towcable the AT-ATs.

-Two preset Star Card hands - these differ dependant on faction - plus your first MP hand automatically unlocked (Missions had it so you had to beat each Mission on Hard first)

-Though you can't earn EXP or use this mode towards your Hutt Contracts, all Hutt Contract weapons are already unlocked (I believe you can still earn credits but in a similar system to the Missions)

-Bots have the same names as they did in the Pandemic games (Nom Carver, I'm coming for you!)

-Heroes are playable. There have been tweaks to the system exclusively for Skirmish: there is more than one hero token on the map at any given time, and if you are playing co-operatively, both you and your human teammate can become heroes at the same time. AI can't pick up hero tokens in Walker Assault but they can fly hero ships in Fighter Squadron.

-All this is by three guys - one programming for Walker Assault, one for Fighter Squadron and one supporting both.

I even have footage of it for you: