Star Wars: Battlefront (2015 reboot)

Luke Skywalker

EA have announced the beta.

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront/news/star-wars-battlefront-beta-announce

Ever since we revealed Star Wars™ Battlefront™ in April at Star Wars™ Celebration, you've been asking us if there would be a Beta. Today, we are thrilled to finally be able to answer that question, and the answer is yes!

Coming early October to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and on Origin for PC, the Star Wars Battlefront Beta* is a technical test and will feature Walker Assault on Hoth, a 40-player multiplayer battle featuring Rebels and the Empire. Walker Assault will also give you the chance to play as two of the most iconic characters in the Star Wars™ universe: Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker. The Beta will also feature our Survival Mission on Tatooine, where you and a Rebel friend must fight back waves of Imperial forces.

In addition to those two modes, we are excited to reveal a brand-new mode that will be available in the Beta, Drop Zone. We’ll be sharing more details on Drop Zone in the weeks ahead.

As part of the Star Wars Battlefront Beta we are also happy to reveal the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience. Available during the Beta at www.StarWarsBattlefront.com, the Star Wars Battlefront Companion experience features the strategic card game Base Command, and lets you earn in-game Credits that unlock Star Cards, weapons, and more in Star Wars Battlefront. In addition to Base Command, the Companion also lets Rebels and Imperials alike check game stats and progression, customize load-outs and appearance, connect with friends, and get notified when they’re playing Star Wars Battlefront – as well as gather intel on their stats and progression so you can see how you match up! The Star Wars Battlefront Companion will be available on web and in the Apple App Store™ and Google Play™ store prior to the release of Star Wars Battlefront on November 17.

We'll have a lot more info regarding the Star Wars Battlefront Beta in the weeks ahead, so be sure to stay tuned to this page, follow us on social, and sign-up for our newsletter to get all the latest news.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Don't really care about the game that much.

Some more mysterious Williamsy music around 4:20

There's actually a lot of mysterious Williamsy music in these playthroughs of the game as long as you can hear it under the smacking and mouth breathing of the streamers.

Here's hoping Gordy Haab, Kyle Newmaster, Mark Griskey, Wilbert Roget II and Lennie Moore have had a hand in the music. These guys can mimic the maestro to a T, evident from their previous work in Star Wars videogames.

Here's hoping Gordy Haab, Kyle Newmaster, Mark Griskey, Wilbert Roget II and Lennie Moore have had a hand in the music. These guys can mimic the maestro to a T, evident from their previous work in Star Wars videogames.

Agreed. If it weren't for a couple of little non-Williamsy quirks, I would definitely believe this to be Williams score.

Just saw a critical Youtube review of the Beta that basically says it's Call of Duty with Star Wars skins. I'm not a fan of the CoD multiplayer gameplay, and it apparently won't feature a single-player campaign because gamers are more interested in multiplayer matches these days (I say it's just lazy development). Oh well, I'll save my money for my ticket to see The Force Awakens in IMAX.

Just saw a critical Youtube review of the Beta that basically says it's Call of Duty with Star Wars skins. I'm not a fan of the CoD multiplayer gameplay, and it apparently won't feature a single-player campaign because gamers are more interested in multiplayer matches these days (I say it's just lazy development). Oh well, I'll save my money for my ticket to see The Force Awakens in IMAX.

It has single player 'missions' which include four modes. And TBH, all shooters are roughly the same anyways, and those opinions are based off three modes out of ten.

Just saw

of the Beta that basically says it's Call of Duty with Star Wars skins. I'm not a fan of the CoD multiplayer gameplay, and it apparently won't feature a single-player campaign because gamers are more interested in multiplayer matches these days (I say it's just lazy development). Oh well, I'll save my money for my ticket to see The Force Awakens in IMAX.

That YouTuber is talking out of his arse because it's actually nothing like Call of Duty. Why? The TTK is vastly and fundamentally different between the two. It is however very easy to get into, like CoD. And that's where the similarities end.

This section of Goodbye Old Friend fixes one of the 2 most annoying edits in my expanded score. The remaining one is the missing transition in The Boys Continue. The other missing sections of the score can be covered more smoothly

The remaining one is the missing transition in The Boys Continue.

Its possible to get that one using a small bit of reverb, though being a bit of a purist you might not like that.

Interesting something came up when people dug into the beta's voice files. Now we know four of the voice actors in the game:

-Emperor Palpatine: Sam Witwer

-Darth Vader: Matt Sloan (he plays it way too high though, and I'm not 100% sure why they didn't go with James Earl Jones, after all Disney has him for Rebels)

-Han Solo: Lex Lang

-Boba Fett: Temeura Morrison (the first time he's played the role in 10 years)

• 2 weeks later...

Did I enjoy the Beta? Yes. The scale of the Hoth map was really impressive and it was fun when you unlocked the jetpack. Oh, how frustrating it must've been to be Luke or Vader and come at someone swinging only to have them drop a grenade and jetpack up a hill and (momentarily) out of reach.

Is it a flawed game? Yes. The description of "Battlefield with Star Wars skins" is both right and wrong. Theres not much to it but the bigger sin is that it doesn't bring anything new or different to the table. I'm also weirdly put off that vehicles are "picked-up" by a floating icon - which seems very PS1 era logic - instead of just having a fighter or ship at a spawn point like the original Battlefront games.

Will I be buying it? Yes. If for nothing else, I find I have less time for story-intensive gameplay and just want to blow off some steam with friends (welcome to months upon months of marathoning Left 4 Dead every night several years ago). And I enjoy seeing stuff I grew up as a kid finally done in the scale I always wanted. Is it a great game? Probably not, but I'll take it.

So from what I've heard, the "Heroes vs. Villains" mode will pretty much just be a normal mode with a slightly higher chance of being a hero. Pretty disappointing if you ask me. I was hoping for something like Battlefront 2's version where everybody plays as a hero or villain.

I just think the voice actors for the Emperor and Ackbar sound terrible.

Tom Kane's been doing Ackbar in video games for ages. Has he always been terrible to you?

Sam Witwer... yeah, he worked for both Starkiller and Maul but they need to find a new voice for the Emperor. I never thought he was the right choice, not in The Force Unleashed, Battlefront Elite Squadron, Rebels, or here.

I really hope they include an option to turn off the music in the final game. I use straight-forward "point A to point B" games like this as white-noise to listen to music to. Plus don't want the music ruined by the context of the game.

I really hope they include an option to turn off the music in the final game. I use straight-forward "point A to point B" games like this as white-noise to listen to music to.

To listen to the Star Wars OSTs? ;)

Yes, and other John Williams/film scores. I just like having a choice what to listen to (rather than hearing the same segment of the main title 20 times per match)

I think Witwer is fine as the Emperor. Their main Palpatine voice actor on The Clone Wars was fantastic - Ian Abercrombie - but he passed away. The voice in the later seasons was Tim Curry, who was fine, but then he had his stroke. Witwer takes up the mantle well.

Man, EA is REALLY marketing this game HARD!

Also I didn't think I could like Anna Kendrick any more, but there you go!