RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

The missing piece from "The Big Army" had to have been recorded... you can still hear the instruments finishing the measure when the section we have begins. I doubt they would have only recorded 99% of the cue. It's just that the full clean opening has never surfaced in any of the video games.

Did you make these mockups by the way (the MIDI parts)? Or did you find them somewhere? Either way I'm really enjoying them. Nice to be able to hear this music instead of just blankly staring at the sheets.

2 hours ago, Fal said:

Man, this just completely changed the tone of the final act. It's a lot more victorious and 'happy' than what we got in the film. Not really better or worse... just fascinating.

15 hours ago, Gistech said:

I have a feeling the unrecorded section of "The Great Duel" scored the Gungan retreat scene originally.

It does somewhat match up... if that was the case, then the scene must have been at least twice as short originally. It matches up mostly when Jar Jar is on the AAT, however I had to cut out half the scene for it to fit:

The Gungans Retreat (Test)

1 hour ago, Fal said:

I don't mean to use hyperbolic language, but my mind is blown seeing that scene with music. Unscored, all of the wackadonk mishmash stuff that happens on screen creates such a weird tone. The music gives it such a a nicer sense of dramatic consistency and urgency, and makes it so much better. The only reason I can think they removed it was to give the audience an "aural break".

17 hours ago, Fal said:

Wow, all that cut music at the end of Boys into Battle really makes the scenes flow much better! I always felt when they jumped out of the fighters, the whole movie just came to a halt. This keeps the energy and tension going. Replacing the opening fanfare with just the percussion was definitely the right call, though - the tone is more somber this way and the Force Theme coming in is all the more glorious. The Elevator Scene is just a bit unnecessary, it can be dialed out right when they enter the elevator, and not much is lost.

I just realised the R2 scene is supposed to "rhyme" with him hiding from the Sand People when they're dismantling Luke's landspeeder - he hides back in the shadows from the two droids dismantling Obi-Wan's fighter. Hey, how come they didn't photoshop two more garbage cans in front of him for the Bluray?

Another great pity that it was removed. Except for the Luke's Theme statement for Anakin's wisecrack (which eventually ended up under Obi-Wan sneaking up to Grievous on Utapau, if I'm not mistaken - thank God we don't have Lucas+Burtt anymore!) I think it really elevates the scene.

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Another great pity that it was removed. Except for the Luke's Theme statement for Anakin's wisecrack (which eventually ended up under Obi-Wan sneaking up to Grievous on Utapau, if I'm not mistaken - thank God we don't have Lucas+Burtt anymore!) I think it really elevates the scene.

That one I'm actually mixed on. I like the music a lot--Return of the Jedi is my favorite Star Wars score, and some of the moments in that track give me a nice RotJ vibe--but it doesn't feel like it fits in every place. I didn't really realize until now how much John Williams did for that opening! It's probably one of the most extended sections of music he's written for a movie in a long time! 

1 hour ago, Fal said:

@Nick Parker Yeah, that Luke Theme statement is almost straight out of Approaching the Death Star/Tatooine Rendezvous.

Palpatine's Seduction

Palpatine Instructs Anakin

You posted the same cue twice btw.

Geez, it's like he scored the entire first act of ROTS. I don't blame them for dialing out huge chunks of the music, even though each cue works brilliantly on its own. Very similar to the last act of Empire, which was scored wall-to-wall but wisely edited in the final cut; sometimes the absence of music makes the music stronger when it does play.

But you can clearly tell Williams worked his ass off matching those cues to the action on screen. It's also very noticeable how, without the music to hold your hand, many of those scenes wound up a tonal mess in the final cut (slapstick? bizarre Loonie Tunes antics? flat wisecracks?). Just reiterates how JW was doing all the heavy lifting on the prequels and smoothing out all the shortcomings in Lucas' direction.

6 hours ago, crumbs said:

Very similar to the last act of Empire, which was scored wall-to-wall but wisely edited in the final cut; sometimes the absence of music makes the music stronger when it does play.

Well, in Empire, a lot of the music was cut becase the tone and cut was not figured out until late in post. When trying to restore missing cues, I noticed a lot of them were shorter than the scene they were intended for (instead of the usual longer because of picture trimmings), meaning the original cut was tighter and they let it breathe a little more. Even a number of cues that are in the movie were looped to accustom the longer shots. Also, look at what's left out - the Dumb Yoda cue, Luke's training, Yoda's Theme in Luke and Vader's Duel, the Echo Base cues to an extent, the bloody Snowspeeder Search - all cues which throw the well-known tone of the movie out the window. It' great that we have them, but it's also great we don't have them in the movie. The one which works the best is the crazy pianos when the Imperial Walkers appear - it keeps the energy going when previously the tension just went to a halt staring at R2's face from 2 centimeters until the snowspeeders took off.

This time, the tone is off because the music that was holding the entire thing together was cut out.

No, I wouldn't touch those with a stick. I only watch the Despecialized version with the Bluray audio taking over where it restores all the Imperial March stingers and the Departure of Boba Fett. (And Adywan's Revisited, but that introduces a few new loops)

On 10/31/2017 at 1:53 PM, Fal said:

@Nick Parker Yeah, that Luke Theme...

The part that really reminds me of Jedi is the few seconds immediately after that, actually.

I just realized that so many of the cues he wrote for these scenes are really heavy at putting a motor in thr movie...Williams must've been pretty bored with the whole opening sequence  :P

Wait, what's different in "A Home for the Twins"?  I haven't seen that scene in the film in a couple of years, but whenever I listen to the cue, that's how I picture it syncing up.

On 28/10/2017 at 1:30 AM, Manakin Skywalker said:

The missing piece from "The Big Army" had to have been recorded... you can still hear the instruments finishing the measure when the section we have begins. I doubt they would have only recorded 99% of the cue. It's just that the full clean opening has never surfaced in any of the video games.

At the edge of the sheet music for that cue, written in pencil, is "Start at B12". The recording log matches up with what we have, which is about 1:53 of material, so it means the first eleven bars corresponding to the mockup were never recorded. If they had recorded that section they would have put it in the recording log.

Interestingly enough, looking at the sheet music, there's two versions of Take To Your Ships recorded. The first version clearly had a variance in the trumpet (bar 8) that is circled, and the performance was modified so that instead of going from higher A to lower A it sticks at a sustain of the higher A. What's interesting is that the following cue had no such modification to it, yet The Big Army was recorded after the first version but before the second, revised version of Take To Your Ships. It suggests to me that there is a performance of The Big Army as originally written before the change to Take To Your Ships was made, and that the version we hear in the albums and video games is a podium change rather than a written change. This is slightly supported by the fact that the take present on the UE and OST has the suspended cymbal at the end, as originally written, while the version in the games, the one that is often used to cleanly close the cue out in edits, does not.

8 hours ago, igger6 said:

Wait, what's different in "A Home for the Twins"?  I haven't seen that scene in the film in a couple of years, but whenever I listen to the cue, that's how I picture it syncing up.

The film version has an extended insert of the Force Theme.

• 5 months later...
On 11/5/2017 at 1:04 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

Did you use the Blu-Ray edit of that scene or the DVD? (The Blu-Ray shifts some of the shots of Yoda)

5 hours ago, Fal said:

Did you use the Blu-Ray edit of that scene or the DVD? (The Blu-Ray shifts some of the shots of Yoda)

Yes I did, I realized my mistake right after I posted it here, but haven't had time to correct it.

13 hours ago, Fal said:

BTW where did you get the mockup of the OG Finale?

I put it on youtube years ago:

It's datameister's mockup

18 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Yes I did, I realized my mistake right after I posted it here, but haven't had time to correct it.

Here is that cue over the Blu-Ray edit:

Finale (Original)

@Will

2:53 is Williams and the audience sighing "finally, something happened and this pointless stupid shit is over!" in relief.