RESTORED ISOLATED SCORE: Star Wars Saga (Unused Music Restored To Picture)

Faleel

4 hours ago, Jay said:

No, the music enters at that scene transition.  UNless its been changed for the blu ray! (Which I haven't seen)

I am afraid it is you who are mistaken, the music enters with Jar Jars jump into the lake/river on my DVD.

Ah yea I remember now.  Still, my point stands that the music change at 0:51 should be synced to the scene change at 0:50, undoubtedly.

11 hours ago, E.T. and Elliot said:

I think that originally, Anakin didn't arrive after the battle, but watched the whole thing!

Correct! I have a still image of that original scene. That's probably why the music doesn't match the scene completely.

Well, in the case of "The Big Army" I think Jim Ware confirmed that there is still some music missing from that cue.. It's also possible I used the wrong take some cues as well.

I always thought Luke's Rescue (Snow Speeders Take Flight) in ESB worked way better than the tracked Hyperspace cue ultimately used. The only misstep seems to be the end when Luke is in the rejuvenation tank.

3 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Battleship Destroyed (Alternate Take)

Interesting. This version feels a bit "messier" but contains more drive and energy than the film version.

Also, seeing the final battle from TPM like this has exposed just how disjointed it is.  

On February 9, 2016 at 10:51 AM, Faleel said:

End Credits (Alternate 2)

I want to take the time to thank GoodMusician for his old Symphonic Forces videos, they were very helpful in editing the final Naboo battle against the unused cues.

First of all, thank you for all your hard work on this. It's fascinating to watch these alternate versions.

And secondly, do you have any way of sharing the Symphonic Forces videos? I'd love to watch them. I was able to find GoodMusician's forum post elsewhere on the internet - but all the links are dead. 

Thanks again for your videos!

• 5 months later...

The opening is replaced by music tracked in from Losing A Hand from TESB in the film.

Actually the cue wasn't on the OST at all.

Losing A Hand is the proper cue name and it was called as such on the 1993 anthology set; it was renamed Rescue From Cloud City on the 1997 SE set.

I was referring to the '97 as the OST, since it is an official soundtrack and generally considered the primary release for the movie at this point...  Technicalities!

They actually did a panel at Star Wars Celebration for TESB music this morning, which I saw while I was there. David Collins was restricted to using officially released music but it's cool to have seen him do that!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 0:47 AM, Fennel Ka said:

Wow. Thanks so much Fennel Ka! That Han's death alternate to picture is really incredible. I hope others notice this -- it doesn't seem to be getting much attention. @Jay, @crumbs, @Henry Buck, @Cerebral Cortex, @JacksonElmore, @Incanus, @Hawmy, and @igger6, you might be interested if you haven't seen this already. (That's everyone who responded to my Parade Grounds restore so I figure you all might be interested.)

I'm still not sure why you did the second one since I thought it was all in the final film. Whatever. 

8 hours ago, Fennel Ka said:

@Will I did the second one because in the film the 3 brass notes are crossfaded out and a bit of Tremelo strings layered on.

Oh, okay, I don't pay that close attention to detail. Luckily we have you for that. :)

Stunning!  Amazing work, @Fennel Ka!  (And thanks for the heads-up, @Will.)  This strikes me as arguably a more "original trilogy" take on the scene, and I think it works brilliantly.  I love the mickey-mousing of both the stab and withdrawal of the lightsaber.  This feels much more like an epic, galactic-scale event. 

That said, I rewatched the theatrical version for comparison, and one advantage I think it has is the brief silence when Han touches Kylo's cheek.  There's a sort of softer, warmer note that plays in the alternate version at that point, but it's not quite enough of a break.  The brief silence in the film version scales the moment down to father-son intimacy in a really effective way. 

I wish J.J. Baby had gone with a sort of melding of the two approaches.  Rather than repeating that prequel-ish Dark Side ostinato over and over, let the Force theme blast out, then take it down to a human silence, then blast it again when the galactic hero falls into the cauldron of sun-juice.  I don't know if it would have worked, but I'd have been curious to see the attempt.

@Fennel Ka, perhaps you could add a TFA section to the main post for your two restores and my Parade Grounds one (which I linked to on the previous page of this thread). That way they would have increased visibility.

------------

I wonder what we would have heard right after the end of your Han's death video, @Fennel Ka

1:58 here? 2:26? Something we've never heard?

And I wonder what came before Han's death in the Force theme version. Some version of the music heard at the beginning of OST "Torn Apart," or something unheard by us fans as of yet?

By any chance has anyone matched the original AOTC finale with the picture @Fennel Ka

Gosh, I was watching that scene on YouTube yesterday and it really is so great. The anticipation built by the Jedi talking with the quiet strings and choir. And then Yoda with the terrific line, "The shroud of the dark side has fallen. Begun the Clone War has." With those awesome chords getting louder, and then the big crescendo and the Imperial March with the fanfares as we sweep across the clone army staging point, the transition into the lake scene with the soaring Across the Stars, those final epic fanfares before the credits as Anakin and Padme look out over the lake...

Truly an epic scene and score.

Approaching the Death Star / Tatooine Rendezvous

^This was a rather confusing one. I didn't realize about half of the opening scene appears to have been cut (not just the lightsaber construction scene). I did a lot of guessing, so I know that my arrangement of the scenes may not be 100% accurate.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2016 at 10:46 AM, Manikin Skywalker said:

Approaching the Death Star / Tatooine Rendezvous

^This was a rather confusing one. I didn't realize about half of the opening scene appears to have been cut (not just the lightsaber construction scene). I did a lot of guessing, so I know that my arrangement of the scenes may not be 100% accurate.

Yeah definately in the novel, the officer at the death star was stalling for confirmation on the shuttle, and there was dialoge from the pilots of the kind "please quick, HE is here!." or something.

13 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yeah definately in the novel, the officer at the death star was stalling for confirmation on the shuttle, and there was dialoge from the pilots of the kind "please quick, HE is here!." or something.

That's pretty cool. Interesting to know that it seems that footage was in the cut well into post production.

yeah.. when williams scores something, specially in the old films... it means that it was shot. Why would he write more music? And i doubt he would score still photos of storyboards...

• 7 months later...

I think "The Fight Begins" definitely goes after "The Big Army".

It's interesting hearing these unrecorded passages, because the material in the final film could have been meant for these scenes. Maybe that's partly why the sixth reel is musically butchered: Lucas was constantly taking things out, only to put them back in later on after John Williams had finished scoring. He wanted music there, so he just chopped up what had been recorded.

It's never going to happen, but I'd love for an official Phantom Menace set to have those missing passages, recorded by the LSO. It'd truly be every note written (which otherwise could never be true).