Jerry Goldsmith's The Ghost and the Darkness - New Intrada 2CD

Romão

Yeap an instant buy! I can't wait to hear all the creepy lion music left off the original album. :)

I only bought the OST a few weeks ago.

Curse of expanded scores strikes again. Buy the OST and sure enough the expanded release will be released in a few weeks!

Finally. It's one of those rare scores where the alternates and different mixes (that i know of) really make a difference. The movie might be nothing more than an effective outdoor thriller with some pictorial scope but Goldsmith obviously saw it as a late opportunity for writing an epic and the care he lavished on details is remarkable. There is something about those sampled chants and how Goldsmith employed them throughout the score that elevates it above his other great adventure scores of the 1990's: it's one of the last times he actually was ahead of his colleagues in creating something that nobody had done this way before him and, come DINOSAUR, it catched on.

Wow. For some reason, this is one I didn't see coming. It's plenty welcome, though—one of the master's last epic scores for a less-than-epic film.

It was a great OST, I have no idea what else is there.

If you're only a casual Goldsmith fan you won't need it. If you thought it was great and had a unique atmosphere, you should get the full release. There are not many boring patches.

It takes the more tweedy and polished Hollywood style of JG's later career and adds some abstract twists to it that elevates it above the more 'pure' and ponderous ones like 13TH WARRIOR - they too are great but GATD has the plushy thematics plus the weird sampled material, making it at least a bit of a leap in the direction of his greatest works.

I love this fanfare at the beginning before the "Welcome to Tsavo" cue but sadly wasn't included in the original album. It's the kind of fanfare that only JG can do:

Awesome news!

I was crossing my fingers for "Warlock"...and Intrada delivered. I was hoping for "The Ghost and the Darkness"...and they delivered again!

Now if La La Land can knock it out of the park with the Williams release that hopefully happenens soon, I can rest easy until TFA...

• 8 years later...
10 hours ago, crocodile said:

Amazing score and album. Rather so-so film though.

Karol

Not seen the film, but agreed on the score. One of those odd Jerry scores where the main themes are kinda meh when presented on their own (the mix of Africa and Celtic feels a bit literal) but when applied within the score are elevated significantly. Brilliant action/suspense writing too.

• 2 months later...

I was just looking through label backlogs for new (to me) scores that are still in stock and came across this. The first sample got me instantly hooked, and the rest convinced me that it's worth buying, it has pleasing textures, variety and a structure. I bought it purely based on that.

The OST's not bad at all, then I watched the movie and thought it was OK, then I listened to the rest of the release. And it's great! Goldsmith is very hit or miss for me but this is him in full John Barry landscape epic mode with various ethnic touches, that's perfectly my shit.

But I wouldn't be myself if I wouldn't complain and this time it's about Intrada's bizarre naming conventions that make the tracklist a whole lot more confusing than it needs to be. Labeling film versions or film mixes in the main program (Alternate), "Welcome to Tsavo #2" with no "#1", many extras that have no corresponding names in the main program. The cue list in the booklet (which I do always love, every label should include them for every score!) does help explain a lot of it but then it also ignores the OST which has unique material and combinations.

On 09/06/2023 at 8:47 AM, crocodile said:

Amazing score and album. Rather so-so film though.

Karol

In feel the opposite. Really enjoy the film, saw it in the cinema on release, and the Laserdisc with it's Dolby AC-3 audio track became a staple demo disc in the A/V store I worked at.

The score doesn't do much for me, either on album or in expanded form. I just don't like that sampled ethnic signing, it sounds too artificial and the main theme just doesn't feel like top drawer Goldsmith to me. Give me Congo over this.

#UnpopularOpinion

8 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Give me Congo over this.

#UnpopularOpinion

I actually feel largely the same way. Ghost and the Darkness has some amazing action music highlights though. Really appropriately ferocious brass. But overall I far prefer Congo with its real African vocals instead of sampled, and I also love its main theme and feel the whole score gels better together.

Yavar

2 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Yeah, totally. It’s just that Congo feels more organic and cohesive to me, whereas The Ghost and the Darkness feels like less than the sum of its parts. I realize that’s a minority opinion though!

Yavar

Pretty sure he was talking about Congo? I mean:

23 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

The [Ghost and the Darkness] score doesn't do much for me, I don't like that sampled ethnic signing,  the main theme just doesn't feel like top drawer Goldsmith to me. Give me Congo over this.

• 2 weeks later...

I went through the entire Intrada and amended Jay's spreadhseet with a new tab breaking it all down - I grouped the different mixes of the same takes together and noted the differences etc.