The Hobbit Recut - The Fan Edits thread

Faleel

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get why anyone would bother making a fan edit until the BOFA EE was out, or why anybody would make a fan edit using 720×576 mp4s instead of full blu ray rips. Odd.

I don't get why anyone would bother making a fan edit until the BOFA EE was out, or why anybody would make a fan edit using 720×576 mp4s instead of full blu ray rips. Odd.

The guy doesn't evidently use much of the EE material anyway in his edit.

Sure, but I would at least want to see it and have the option of using it before beginning a project like that. Who knows what great "straight from the book" gems could be in there.

Indeed. Many people are rushing their edits when it would be much better to wait for the last EE to be released (and ideally, the CRs too). I guess they just want to be the first to release their edit.

Here's another one, by the way: http://www.maple-films.com/the-hobbit-fanedit

Really... how many minutes are usable from BOTFA?

Practically nothing. :P

Now if the Eagle coronation is on the EE..... powned!

Indeed. Many people are rushing their edits when it would be much better to wait for the last EE to be released (and ideally, the CRs too). I guess they just want to be the first to release their edit.

Here's another one, by the way: http://www.maple-films.com/the-hobbit-fanedit

Fan edits...

'Tis to laugh.

The editing work is admirable but that sequence just feels empty now, and the transition to Beorn is atrocious. Plus I love me some Azog and Dwarf-Hobbit embracing. So in short they can fuck right off and stick to cutting out true shit like Tauriel.

If I can be arsed I'll make some very minor edits myself at some point. I'd love to get some music in but realize how hard that will be.

Well the music editing in the first one it just atrocious.

And the second one is actually how I would have edited the scene as well. The transition is a bit clumsy but they did the best they could with the material they have got.

Love that second one! I honestly didn't think that scene could be made to work so well! You can still see an orc rider in a couple of shots though and I'd also use a little less of Gandalf's Beorn narration if I had made it, but excellent, excellent work overall.

One of the coolest parts of the eagle rescue is when one of the eagles flaps its giant wings to stoke the fire, shame to lose that.

In the first video, I was surprised by how easy it is to go right from the company in the cave under the barrel room to them all at the end of the river escape and have it look totally fine. That guy's music choice made no sense though.

They literally just cut some shots out and switched scenes. It baffles me how these simple things get such praise around here.

Forgive me, but this statement is ridiculous. You of all people know how much some of us dislike PJ's changes and additions to the story. The edits remove them and bring the movie closer to what (some of us feel) it should have been in the first place.

It wasn't your comment in particular BB.

It was the phrase saying it is 'excellent, excellent work'. I rarely hear a phrase even approach that level of praise for any scene or aspect of the film's, and yet the guy simply cutting out some shots is the genius. I wish people would appreciate the artistry done by all involved in actually making the film's, even if its only parts of them that you like and even if you need to cut shots out.

Indeed.

Cut hours of daily footage into a coherent scene, and in time for it to be CGI-ed and scored. Then we'll talk.

Ha! I love these films will probably be best remembered in pop culture for the number of fan edits it ended up getting.

"There and Back Again"

This one looks much better. The Out Of The Frying-Pan sequence looks really well edited, and it's impressive how the editor managed to "remove" all the orcs! The edits are for the most part unnoticeable (except in the soundtrack, but that can easily be fixed). Great job here. I think the sequence works much better and is better paced that way (from 33 minutes down to 5 minutes!). The transition from the flight to the Carrock to Beorn's house is a bit clumsy, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj3Ed3NrOtg&x

Not too shabby actually! If I hadn't seen the original scene, I could have totally bought it.

On that note, the Out of the Frying Pan sequence probably remains the most impressive sequence in the trilogy. It's staged really well, with great scope and imagery. PJ still had it in him to create coherently entertaining action sequences at that time.

The action scenes in DoS and BoFA have none of that sense of structure and pacing like the better AUJ scenes did.

That Barrel Ride/Orc Fight Scene only proves that if you're a dwarf in Middle Earth, you're basically invincible.

Until BOTFA.

Yes, I completely understand that some people prefer them and are happy to see them. What I didn't like like the amount of praise given to the editor, who simply did the cutting down which is more like a mechanical task than creating art. Many people could have cut out the orcs, and produced pretty similar results, and cutting down PJ films is not a particularly difficult endeavour.

I disagree on both counts. Cutting down PJ's films is harder than you think and yet, actually making a film adaptation can be easier.than you think. Many, and I mean MANY people could have made better Hobbit films than PJ did.

Cut hours of daily footage into a coherent scene, and in time for it to be CGI-ed and scored. Then we'll talk.

I would absolutely love to try! Give me funding and a budget and we'll talk.

The CGI design is great, just a shame it doesn't look real.

Surely you see the contradiction in those statements. I agree the prosthetic version looks fantastic however.

Many, and I mean MANY people could have made better Hobbit films than PJ did.

Yeah, sure.

Creating films from a children's book that are in tone with an iconic adult fantasy trilogy, from scratch (meaning casting, scripting, leading design processes etc) is a piece of fluffy cake.

Either you're out of your mind, or you're talking out of your ass.

Another one who thinks criticizing a vision makes you superior to the vision's creator.

He didn't say it was easy.

Exaggerated it may be, but his point stands true. There is a good list of people who probably could have directed the Hobbit films better than PJ did.

He didn't say it was easy.

Exaggerated it may be, but his point stands true. There is a good list of people who probably could have directed the Hobbit films better than PJ did.

I'll most likely look like a fool for asking this, but...

Who could have directed the Hobbit films better than PJ did?

I'll most likely look like a fool for asking this, but...

Who could have directed the Hobbit films better than PJ did?

Well I'll be the first to admit that (had I been older at the time) I wouldn't really have expected that PJ could pull off LOTR as well as he did. Not even a little bit. Look at his prior work. IMO, there was hardly any evidence to indicate that he had the talent. And yet after many years of very hard work, he delivered in spades (well, for the most part).

Similarly, I think there must be a number of directors out there who no one would expect could make a great Hobbit adaptation who could. I'm sure you'll consider this an absolute cop out, but picking an actual name would be a lot harder for me. Not because I think PJ is much greater than the average director, but because I can't remember the last time a modern director really enchanted me. Certainly not in the fantasy genre.

Indeed, my point was exaggerated for a reason. GK seems not to pick up on such things when it comes to his precious Hobbit films.

Many, and I mean MANY people could have made better Hobbit films than PJ did.

Yeah, sure.

Creating films from a children's book that are in tone with an iconic adult fantasy trilogy, from scratch (meaning casting, scripting, leading design processes etc) is a piece of fluffy cake.

Either you're out of your mind, or you're talking out of your ass.

Another one who thinks criticizing a vision makes you superior to the vision's creator.

You're the one consistently talking out of his ass. So you liked the movies -- so what? That doesn't mean there's much artistic value to them. PJ did indeed create something from scratch, when he should have adapted a wonderful novel instead. And another thing, if you think these Hobbit films in anyway succeed in matching the "iconic adult" tone of LOTR, you're the one who's out of his mind.

I don't think criticizing something entitles me to anything and anyway, I don't think I'm really criticizing anyone's vision for The Hobbit -- these films have no vision! All they have is a constant stream of ideas and only half of them were ever fully realized.

I would absolutely love to try! Give me funding and a budget and we'll talk.

Let's create a Kickstarter project!

• 2 months later...

Works really well.

Now, if he had restored the edited out Gundabad statement from Ravenhill, that would be perfect. The silence serves absolutely no purpose in the film, except disrupting the pace.

That is quite brilliant. I'd maybe edit the music a little differently for the death scenes to make them more powerful, but he's found a terrific workaround there, the best one can do given the circumstances.

I wonder why people are so keen on cutting Legolas entirely. Tauriel, ok, but Legolas? I mean, cut his pointless action stuff, but in Mirkwood, he has every right to be there.

I understand that, but I think even the people who would have done all the movies completely differently would have given Legolas a cameo or minor role in Mirkwood.

Speaking of Mirkwood, somehow I still can't get over how empty the Woodland Realm looks. Even emptier than Lorien. When Tauriel says they are celebrating the feast of starlight, I keep asking "who?"

Not enough budget for some extras or CGI elves?

I realize that probably lots of work has gone into it, and certainly PJ had much more constructed only to show a fraction of it, but Thranduil's quarters don't look good. Looks like a set. Much too plain.

Wow, I'm ranting today ...

Wow, I'm ranting today ...

GK complaining about flaws in the Hobbit? Well now I've seen everything! ;)

To be honest, Legolas doesn't bother me that much. I'd be cutting things to a bare minimum if I did an edit, so aside from his stuff with Tauriel I'd probably just keep him in with a few trims here and there. Plus I wouldn't see Bolg's death otherwise.

I was toying around with some music to this guy's great edit to lend more emotion to the scene. I'd recommend 'In the Shadow of the Mountain', from 3:01 of 'Girion, Lord of Dale' (Extended), or from 5:49 of 'The Hunters' (Extended) (all from the Desolation of Smaug SE soundtrack) from the moment Azog drags out Fili for additional impact crymore.gif It makes it infinitely better. I think I lean towards the first two for biggest effect.

Also, I quite like from 5:20 of 'Out of the Frying-Pan' from AUJ once Azog drops Fili.