BloodBoal

Based on the German timings (which have ended up being accurate) it sounds as if Alfrid doesn't exactly end up in a troll's... mouth.

:pfft:

What do timings prove?

You mean rating?

Just relates to someone who said the German runtime was accurate (which it was) saying that Alfrid's death was particularly "Bad Taste" and fitting for such an irrelevant character,

Hang on were specifics mentioned? I can't see anything on their site

He said that the same guy who said that the German site was accurate, also said things about Alfrids death, so if one turned out to be true, the other must be as well.

He said that the same guy who said that the German site was accurate, also said things about Alfrids death, so if one turned out to be true, the other must be as well.

Yeah but who is the guy and where was this posted?

Yeah but who is the guy and where was this posted?

Sounds like its someone crumbs knows (in the industry?)?

Well, Alfrid's death wasn't just cut out for the fun of it. It's going to be a point of ... contention. Unless troll faeces are your thing, in which case, well... ugh.

Someone with an ice penis as his avatar knows someone in the movie industry... Sure...

What's wrong with an ice penis?

What?

So it should be shorter....but longer?

It means that the Hobbit could/should have been two movies with a different structure and narrative.

But the current trilogy has a structure and a narrative that, as contrived and as stupid as it may be at some points, needs more cinematic connecting dots.

Indeed!

Yeah, right. Like you understood what he said!

In less than a week, you'll ask again why people who complained about The Hobbit being a trilogy want more footage!

No.

I just don't get it.

Either you think these films run too long and should have never been a trilogy, or you want to have them as long as possible to get your Tolkien/PJ fanboy groove on.

A lot of people seem to be having their cake and eat it as well!

The point is, we're not saying "we want a longer version because longer is better!"

We're saying "We want to see Thorin's funeral, Radagast's cut scenes, and Beorn actually doing stuff". The length is irrelevant; this is all stuff that should have been in the TC.

Well, they shot incredibly long films. The first one is just too long. It feels like an extended edition, even in its theatrical form. The second one is alright. It moves at a decent pace and offers a nice roller coaster ride, suitable for any other dumb popcorn film. But the third one feels gutted. It might have something to do with the short running time (for a Middle-earth film), but many plot threads set up in the first and second film seem to ultimately go nowhere. Alfrid is annoyingly kept around for a long time and then just disappears. Parts of the battle seem entirely glossed over. The dead Dwarves get no proper send off. Bilbo digs up the Troll hoard apparently off-screen. Beorn gets horribly short-changed and - as it stands - could have been eliminated from these films altogether. Surely, there must be more footage somewhere that would have all this make sense?

So despite the trilogy's length, it feels incomplete at some points. Especially when you look at the individual films. With the films being what they are, I'd like to see the extra footage that would connect a few more dots and make each film a bit more complete. And most of this has to do with B-stories. Gandalf's quest, Laketown shenanigans, the way the final battle was intended to play out in full, that sort of stuff.

On the whole however, the point still stands that this story - you know, the one about Bilbo the Hobbit joining a bunch of Dwarves on a quest to capture a mountain filled with gold - drags on for ever and ever. It's especially noticeable when you watch the trilogy back to back. You know that whole dragon battle at the end of Desolation of Smaug? I can almost forgive them that when I watch just DoS. At least it gave the film a climax that sort of lives up to the action in the first half of the film. I guess. But watch this between An Unexpected Journey and The Battle of the Five Armies, knowing that dragon is going to fly off to Laketown anyway, and you'll experience how pointless the whole thing really is. It's a twenty minute sequence that exists solely to fill in a blank on a single movie's story structure checklist. It has no purpose to the overall plot or development of any of the characters involved. In fact, it features so many narrow escapes that it ultimately lessens the threat of Smaug. After all, it's stated in AUJ that a dragon can reduce you to a pile of ash within a matter of seconds. Yet here, flames burst out around our heroes several times and everyone walks away without as much as a singed beard.

It's this kind of vapid filmmaking (honestly, it's Middle-earth's equivalent of the conveyor belt sequence from Attack of the Clones) that leads to a feeling of indulgence on behalf of the makers and the trilogy feeling unnecessarily stretched . And these problems will likely remain if you watch all three extended editions back to back, even if the three individual films might be slightly improved and better balanced. I guess we'll find out for sure in November.

I just want more material for my own edit from the BotFA EE! Preferably less Tauriel, Alfrid and silly battle shots and action gags and more of Thorin, the dwarves and most of all BILBO!

The original cut of DOS had Bilbo escaping from Smaug with the Arkenstone, straight into the scene with Smaug crashing through the giant Dwarvish banner. They then had their dialogue about destroying Laketown.

In the final film there's now at least half an hour of irrelevant padding that separates these two scenes. Really highlights just how much crap was invented to fill in the "blanks."

Better yet re-shoot the scene so that Bilbo can stab Smaug to death like it happens in one of the earlier drafts and then sail away in a river of the dragon's blood in a great golden bowl!

You know I've always had a tolerance for this kind of bullshit. Only we are allowed to joke about The Hobbit. From actual sites I expect real news now, not bollocks.