BloodBoal

I am more interested in seeing the Appedices documentaries than additional footage at this point. It will be a culmination of 12 appendices!

So, they "even just got" the PG 13 rating? BOTFA doesn't strike me as a violent film. Did standards change? In Fellowship, in Balin's Tomb, Aragorn beheads a goblin, after which blood is springing from his neck like a fountain. Didn't seem to bother anyone back then.

Nah, people definitely did criticize LOTR's violence. I'm sure all three of them just barely snuck by with their PG-13 ratings.

That said, I find it odd that BOTFA's EE would get an R while LOTR's still kept the lower rating even with some of the added stuff. Probably you're right that standards for movie violence are getting more restrictive...I also think if Fili, Kili, or Thorin's deaths are more gruesome that possibly could have made a difference compared to LOTR where most of the goriest stuff was done to Orcs and not the human(-looking) characters.

Bilbo was the pivotal figure of the battle! Of course he is going to be in the thick of it! EPIC!

Are the orcs defending the mountain against the dwarves in that DVD cover?

To be fair, I actually like these movies (well I love AUJ, but have problems with the other two), so I'm allowed to want more footage. Unlike you hypocritical fucks.

As much as we all want 36 minutes, the FSK aren't going to get it wrong having seen it. They are German after all, so mistakes like that aren't possible.

It is not about the minutes, it is how you spend them.

As much as we all want 36 minutes, the FSK aren't going to get it wrong having seen it. They are German after all, so mistakes like that aren't possible.

The Germans cannot be trusted!

This is also true.

That's what she said!

No it was what I said. Pay attention!

Oh stick to your Hobbit fan martyrdom!

That's what I said!

Most sources saying its longer are probably going by the placeholder length for the AMC cinema showing, and PJs comments. And these sources are used by other sources to say that it'll be around 30 minutes.

I love those (previously unseen?) stills of Gandalf and Thorin in that second cover!

Mmm we might leave that one to SUH.

Huh?

Hobbit fan martyrdom

Well just think that the reason it was originally said to be 30 something minutes more is because there was going to be more Tauriel, but then PJ decided not to add the Tauriel stuff ;)

I don't get why the people who have been complaining consistently for 3 years now that The Hobbit should have never been 3 movies are now bitching about "only 20 minutes" added.

Because, while the three movies might be overkill, they present individual entities with a narrative that needs to be embellished.

Pretty perplexing and disappointing that only 20 minutes are being added to such a perplexing and disappointing movie. It needs a hell of a lot more material than that to change my opinion of the film.

Peter Jackson is no fool; he knows how to direct movies, but the theatrical version of this film was an absolute misfire and I would've thought he'd do everything in his power to make amends. I'm inclined to say 20 minutes of extra footage won't change a thing.

I suppose there is always the possibility he could indeed change footage, but I don't buy that for a second.

And BB you know I will always choose you if it comes down to it, but I fear my preference for Pope could throw a spanner in the works.

If he's cut out 10 minutes and actually added a full 30, I'll give him all the credit in the world.

I simply don't see that happening though. If the extent of these extra 20 minutes is garbage like death scenes for invented characters like Alfrid, it simply reiterates that Jackson has lost touch with what made people fall in love with Tolkien's writings.

20 minutes can actually change a lot. But of course, yet again, it depends on what this additional material consists of...

I think PJ will focus on deepening Alfrid's pivotal character.

The sad thing is BOTF is probably 10 minutes of trimming and 20 minutes of adding away from being a solid film.

It's craving an extra 5 minutes at the end, for starters. I know he wanted to avoid a repeat of ROTK's never-ending-ending, but was cutting back the third act to an afterthought really such a good idea? He went to an extreme in the totally opposite direction.

Alfrid: "Shut up! I said my name is Galmod now don't you remember!?"

Galmod the Big Boobed One!

hqdefault.jpg

Ugh, jesus, has anyone else heard the industry rumour about Alfrid's death?

It involves a catapult, faeces and an R rating. Fill in the blanks.

Faeces? I heard he was launched via catapult into some kind of beast's mouth, but according to that Chronicles book they devised loads of deaths for him, so God knows what they went with.