Omen II

The Football (Soccer) Thread

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

As an objective viewer of the game it's always fun to see a big team lose from an amateur one.

Agreed.  In the first round of last season's FA Cup we were drawn away at Warrington Town, a team four divisions below us and lost 1-0.  It was 99% embarrassing and humiliating, but 1% of me acknowledged that it was good for the competition that such shocks occur (even if it's us on the receiving end rather too often for my liking).  It makes it all the more intriguing when you are Goliath one year and David the next.

Shocks maketh the cup. Remember a couple of years ago Havant & Waterlooville knocking out Swansea and twice taking the lead at Anfield before ultimately losing 4-2 or Wycombe Wanderers making it to the semis in 2001. The competition needs it.

I recall some saying when Pompey made the 2008 final that it wasn't that exciting or that it's not what the cup was about but 2008 was the perfect one really. The semis consisting of us, Cardiff, Barnsley and West Brom. Barnsley knocking out Chelsea (and I think Liverpool).

too late, I was tracking the match and groaned enough when the equaliser went in and did a double-take when I saw the name Roche.

He damn near scored in the first half too from a long range clearance. Don't mind the keeper's scoring just, er, not now. Pompey need to close up after 80 minutes, something we tend to forget for a few seasons. Still, we're 5th and, well, all to play for.

Marshall at Cardiff best bang them in, I think the owner still is confused as to why he's never scored goals.

(Schmeichel scoring is what I'd point to).

:lol:

Some nice games this week. Bayern only narrowly escaping against Juventus, and a very nail-biting game between Althetico Madrid and PSV that showed that not all Dutch themes are a complete laughing stock in Europe.

Sadly the PSV fans completely overshadowed the efforts of their team as they behaved like a bunch of fucking morons in Madrid.

I love the game, but this kind of behaviour from the "fans" is something nobody needs. Repulsive!

18 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Pardon?

Master Watkins scored two goals, including a 92nd minute screamer, to beat our fiercest rivals in the Devon derby yesterday.  I had to vent!

25 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And Leicester do what seemed impossible and win the Premiership!

This is the main story on the news here this evening (not just the sports news, the main news programmes).  It is a truly remarkable achievement for Leicester City, who were 5,000-1 outsiders to win the Premier League at the start of the season after narrowly avoiding relegation last season.

What a monumental week it has been for English football after the Hillsborough enquiry verdict last week!

Brilliant story, makes a change seeing someone from outside the established Big-4 (5) win the Premiership. I vaguely remember Blackburn doing it back in 1994 but this is extra special. To think they were winning League One a few years ago.

Gotta say any other team except for Arsenal and maybe Liverpool was the absolute drizzling shit this year. Did you watch City's pityful performance against Real Madrid? Holy fuck.

Leicester won this with Bundesliga leftovers. So much for best league in the world.

It appears that the suspect 'device' that was discovered was not viable, thank goodness.  I would be amazed if they did not discover quite quickly who left it there; I would imagine that Old Trafford is covered with CCTV cameras.

@Woji Many years ago I was at a match between Exeter and Port Vale where the referee awarded the away team an extremely dubious penalty in the last minute, from which Vale promptly scored to equalise.  The final whistle blew not long afterwards, whereupon loads of people ran onto the pitch and a couple attacked the referee and linesman.  It was all very South American!

On 10 mei 2016 at 3:43 AM, gkgyver said:

Leicester won this with Bundesliga leftovers. So much for best league in the world.

La Liga is the best league in the world, not the Premiership.

Heck of a lot more exciting then the boring as fuck Bundesliga though. Oooh Bayern are champions yet again? (Yawn)

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Heck of a lot more exciting then the boring as fuck Bundesliga though. Oooh Bayern are champions yet again? (Yawn)

It's not just the Bundesliga, Steef.  I saw an interesting stat about the last four winners of the major European leagues (sorry for not including the Eredivisie! ;)):

• Bundesliga (Germany): Bayern Munich, Bayern Munich, Bayern Munich, Bayern Munich
  • La Liga (Spain): Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Barcelona
  • Ligue 1 (France): Paris St. Germain, Paris St. Germain, Paris St, Germain, Paris St. Germain
  • Serie A (Italy): Juventus, Juventus, Juventus, Juventus
  • Premier League (England): Manchester United, Manchester City, Chelsea, Leicester City

While I would agree that the top Spanish sides are currently the best club sides in the world, I would argue that the English Premier League is the most competitive and unpredictable of the top national leagues at the moment.  Arguments about which is the best league in the world are academic for any real football fan though, surely?  You support your team in whichever league they play, whether it's the Premier League or the Combined Counties League.

Oh I agree. It's very common for a league to have two or three clubs that generally win the championship. For us it's Ajax and PSV (Feyenoord hasnt even come close in ages)

England maybe has slightly more versatility in that regard. But unless it's a season like this one, it will always be Man U, Man C, Chelsea....with other "big" teams like Liverpool or Arsenal already without much of a shot.

The simple reason is of course money.

6 hours ago, Romão said:

And Portugal: Benfica, Benfica, Benfica :)

Couldn't bring yourself to include Porto at the beginning, I see.  Fair play! :P

I'm going to the pre-Euro 2016 friendly between England and your lot at Wembley in a  couple of weeks, Romao.  I've not seen us play Portugal live before, although our numerous tournament defeats are etched in my memory.

Louis van Gaal was (not unexpectedly) fired from Man U after a second disappointing season.

The timing is slightly awkward since he did just win the FA cup.

Presumably Mourinho will replace him. It will actually be difficult for him to present a team that plays more boringly then United did under Van Gaal.

Not quite shattering in worldwide soccer circles, but today AFC Wimbledon won promotion to League One.

Formed in 2002 after Wimbledon FC was allowed to relocate to Milton Keynes and become Milton Keynes Dons, AFC Wimbledon have had six promotions in those years and have done well to disprove the FA wrong after being told they weren't in the wider interests of football. Now, Wimbledon has a chance to face MK Dons in the league proper. Bit of spice to that division.

Whereas little Portsmouth will be spending their fourth season at League Two.

35 minutes ago, Strangways said:

Not quite shattering in worldwide soccer circles, but today AFC Wimbledon won promotion to League One.

We always lose at Wimbledon, so for that reason alone I am pleased to see them promoted.  The fact that they did so by beating the GAWS at Wembley made it all the sweeter as far as I'm concerned.  Another couple of Devon derbies (or Dockyard derbies in your case) to look forward to next season it is, as well as the dubious pleasures of a trip to Blackpool.

It would be nice if AFC Wimbledon were able to proceed with their plans to build a new stadium in their spiritual home of Plough Lane.  Kingsmeadow has served them well since they 'reformed' but the away terrace affords an awful view for visitors.  You have to be right at the front to see anything and even then you cannot see the whole of the pitch.  I know our away end is pretty crap but at least you can see the pitch from it.

Their plans for New Plough Lane have stuttered I think. They're hoping Sadiq Khan will break the deadlock. It'd be on the site of the Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium which isn't too far from the town centre. They sold Kingsmeadow to Chelsea I think or something weird.

We had mixed results against the Wombles, beat them this season once but got tonked first season in League Two 4-0. Yes, more pleasurable derbies with Plymouth and one extra long journey the north with Blackpool on top of Accrington, Morecambe and Carlisle.

Hopefully we'll go up next year, just glad we did as well as we did this season. Made up for everything after the Premier League.

So...

Copa America Centenario and Euro 2016 are going on this month. Pretty great summer for soccer (and sports in general, with the Olympics)! Although if the IOC cared about public health they'd cancel the Rio Olympics. Well, that mess is a story for another day. 

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Nonsense! The financial and sporting interests are far to great to cancel over something like the zika virus.

Of course! As long as too many ticket-buyers aren't killed off, everything is fine! 

I don't think it kills those it infects, though it rarely causes GBS. It just passes from pregnant women to their fetus, giving it terrible birth defects. The upcoming Olympics will be a "play now, pay later" kind of event. Pretty scary. 

41 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

I don't think it kills those it infects, though it rarely causes GBS. It just passes from pregnant women to their fetus, giving it terrible birth defects.

This means a potential increase of athletes for the Paralympics in some 20 years time!

10 hours ago, WojinPA said:

I don't think it kills those it infects, though it rarely causes GBS. It just passes from pregnant women to their fetus, giving it terrible birth defects. The upcoming Olympics will be a "play now, pay later" kind of event. Pretty scary. 

Yep. Major birth defects are even worse than deaths in many ways. Those individuals with the defects will have terrible quality of life, and it will cost a fortune to take care of them. 

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

This means a potential increase of athletes for the Paralympics in some 20 years time!

Well, that is some dark humor if there every was any!

On 5/28/2016 at 4:45 PM, Omen II said:

I love the new Mars advert showing a collection of English archetypes invading the beaches of France for Euro 2016, not least because it features John Williams's 1941 march.

Wow! I love this ad. The march gives it such a jolly feel.