Omen II

The Football (Soccer) Thread

Ireland v Iceland. 

Vikings are 1-0 up at half time. 

Match ia dire. Watching hurling has ruined other sports for me. The challenges that result in free kicks are hilarious. 

In a messy but exciting game Ajax manages to take Schalke out of the Europe League and advance to the semi-finals for the first time since 1997.

Feyenoord is one victory away from their first national title in nearly 2 decades!

And Arsenal made it to the final of the FA Cup! 

Now if Real Madrid hammers the part-its-prime Barcelona in their game tonight this will have been a satisfying day.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

And Arsenal made it to the final of the FA Cup! 

My nephew was one of the ball boys at Wembley for both FA Cup semi-finals over the weekend.  The poor lad is a Tottenham fan so saw his team lose yesterday and their biggest rivals Arsenal win today.  At least he had a good view!

My team Exeter City has a chance of making the end of season play-offs for the first time ever as a league club, despite having been bottom of the whole football league in November.  With two games of the season remaining there are still eleven teams in with a chance of getting one of the four play-off spots.  We are away to Doncaster Rovers (who are top of the division and already promoted) next week then our last game of the season is at home to Carlisle United who are one of the other teams in with a chance of making the play-offs and are just three points behind us.  It looks like it's going to go down to the wire.

On 23/04/2017 at 6:59 PM, Stefancos said:

Arsenal made it to the final of the FA Cup!

Fuck, yeah!!!!!!! :woop:

Two brilliant goals. Monreal's would be goal of the month, if it was a Premiereship game.

I can't wait for the 27th.

Chelsea in the finaaaaaaaaaalllll!!!!

Real v Barcelona 

Annoying latest version of El Classici that didn't deserve a winner but sadly got one when Messi scored in the final second.

What happened to him though? He's now more annoying and obnoxious than Cristiano ever was! The beard, which looks disturbingly ginger, the tattoos, the endless back talk!

I almost cheered when Marcello's elbow drew his blood.

Gareth Bale's man-bun is vile!

There was another dramatic finish to the English League 2 yesterday, with Hartlepool United and Newport County vying to avoid joining Leyton Orient in being relegated to the comparative wilderness of the National League and non-league football.  Going into the last few minutes Hartlepool had battled back from a goal down to lead against Doncaster Rovers 2-1 while Newport County were drawing 1-1 at home to Notts County.  As it stood this meant Newport would be relegated unless they won their game.

The hero of the hour for Newport was defender Mark O'Brien, who chose the perfect moment to score his first ever goal in the Football League in the 89th minute, sparking wild celebrations in south Wales and heartbreak in Hartlepool.

Pretty epic fail for Feyenoord who could have secured their first title since 1999 today and completely froze under the stress, losing from their little brother Excelsior 3-0 and disappointed tens ouf thousands of fans, some who paid €5000 for a ticket.

If they lose next weeks and Ajax wins their game and takes the title, there's gonna be a serious shit storm

We managed to win League Two on the final day of the season (Donny had something like 120-odd days top, Plymouth 106 and Pompey just the 1). A nice perk though being promoted was enough.

On our way...

After the depection last weekend against Excelsior where they lost 3-0 Feyenoord takes the title for the first time since 1999!

Dirk Kuijt scored a hatrick and confirms his status as a club legend.

IMG_0329.PNG

IMG_0340.PNG

Last season even when Mourinho was still defending and praising his "friend" Van Gaal he was already in negociations with Man United to replace him. 

He needs to finish this season barren! Devoid of prices, devoid of titles!

On Thursday evening I was privileged to have attended one of the most memorable football matches I have ever seen, as my team Exeter City reached the League 2 play-off final in the most dramatic of circumstances against Carlisle United.  The first leg of the play-off semi-final at Carlisle's Brunton Park ground last Sunday finished 3-3, meaning that everything was still to play for in the second leg at Exeter City's St. James Park.  For those of you from outside the UK, the cities of Carlisle and Exeter are about as far away from each other as it is possible to get in England, Carlisle being close to the Scottish border while Exeter is in Devon in the southwest of the country, 350 miles away.

City were leading 2-0 on the night and heading to Wembley, before Carlisle fought back to 2-2, scoring their equalising goal in the ninetieth minute.  I think everyone in the ground was preparing for extra time and penalties as the assistant referee signalled five minutes of added time, in the very last of which Exeter full back Jack Stacey - who had never scored for us before - wrote himself into Exeter folklore with a stunning goal to break Carlisle hearts and send City to Wembley.  I was in the stand behind the goal and could see it was going in as soon as he hit it; I don't think I have ever celebrated a goal like it, there were bodies everywhere.

This video perfectly captures all the excitement (forward to about 17 minutes to see the winning goal).

12 hours ago, Richard said:

Sound apt for today.

2-1!!!!!!!!! :woop:

The proof is in the pudding...and the pudding in this case is a football.  BOOF!

I thought Arsenal were superb and thoroughly deserved their win yesterday.  My nephew was lucky enough to be one of the ballboys so had a close up view of the action, while I got to see him on TV a few times.  His dad (my brother-in-law) had a free ticket to the game as a result but as he is a die-hard Tottenham fan he refused to go.  His ticket was in the Chelsea end but he could not face watching the two teams he dislikes the most, so he gave the ticket away to a Chelsea-supporting friend! :lol:

Anyway, both will be attending an even bigger game with me at Wembley today, the League 2 play-off final between Exeter City and Blackpool.  I'm off soon and am too excited!

We won the U20 World Cup!

There was much excitement in the last few minutes of the Scotland v England World Cup qualifier at Hampden Park in Glasgow yesterday.  Scotland's Leigh Griffiths turned the game on its head with two stunning late free kicks before Harry Kane equalised in the dying moments of added time to silence the auld enemy.

Both goalies ended with football pie all over their shirts.

WE’RE ALL PART OF JACKIE’S ARMY! WE’RE ALL OFF TO ITALY! AND WE’LL REALLY SHAKE THEM UP WHEN WE WIN THE WORLD CUP CAUSE IRELAND ARE THE GREATEST FOOTBALL TEAM!

OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ OLÉ! OLÉ! ÓLÉ!