Mad Max: Fury Road - Academy Awards 2016 Best Picture Nominee (BIGGEST OSCAR SNUB EVER!!)

BloodBoal

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic: Both franchises are awesome. Top-notch entertainment.

On topic: Bought Fury Road in 3D today. Looking forward to my second viewing, after having watched the first 3 again. :D

• 2 weeks later...

After watching the film on Blu, I spend a while going to the bonus material.

Most of it fairly standard "making of" stuff, but it did really increase my appreciation for the enormity and the level of detail in this production. The car designs are simply fantastic and will probably inspire custom mods for many years to come.

Another aspect that the bonus material illustartes heavily is the complexity of the stunt and special effects work and in fact how much of what we see in the film is real, or based upon real stunts.

In this day and age, where almost everything that can de done CGI is in fact done like that it's great to see that they hired professional dustbike racers, or members of Circ The Soleil (the pole cat stunts are just amazing)

Also nice to see my own expectations outdone. Even though the sand storm is CGI, they did actually film the car stunt stuff that takes place in it.

During shots where we see War Boy bodies thudding into the ground, they in fact used puppets where I thought they just used CGI, and the final epic shot of the Doof mobile crashing into the upturner war rig was actually a film stunt. They added the guitar and the steering wheel coming into the camera, but the actual crash was genuine.

All of this adds enormously to the kinetic feel of the action in this film. Yes CGI was used to remove the stunt rigging and wires. Yes digital editing techniques were used to combine different stunts into a single scene, and yes back ground were altered if story required it.
Every single trick in the book was used, and used well.

This film deserves nominations for it's stunt work, special effects and the amazing art-direction.

This film deserves nominations for it's stunt work, special effects and the amazing art-direction.

It deserves nominations in all the technical categories. And that's it.

• 1 month later...

I watched the movie again recently. Its balls to the walls action sequences are the stuff of legend, and for that it remains big fun. But man, does the score annoy me... Why did it have to be another onslaught of noise for 90 % of the film? I honestly was hoping that George Miller had more sense than that. And the 10% where it calms down isn't exactly my cup of tea either. I don't even remember those gentler moments.

At least Mad Max 3 had a nice theme, and some genuinely well scores scenes. I'm not a big fan of Maurice Jarre in general, but he gave the film some musical character. The new one is just loud for the sake of sounding ridiculously overblown and causing headaches.

I don't think it was ever meant to be a cup of tea.

Karol

Spiked with whiskey perhaps? Or psychotropic drugs?

I like some moments like the music for the water scene, or appearances of Nux's melody. Other times it's BUM BUM BUM and I wonder why do you that instead of going straight for the fun with full metal-style music in the score. That would have been cool for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I love how they take something that might be among the best of the year (like Song of the Sea) and they stuck those in other categories because those awards are for promoting themselves and not for foreigners.

Just saw Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time (I have absolutely no prior knowledge of the Mad Max universe).

I friggin' loved it! I was initially afraid that the long action sequences would grow stale after a while, but there was always a story being told behind them, which made them very fun to watch.

Btw, I think I'm going to end up having nightmares about that guitar guy. He was terrifying!

2 hours ago, loert423 said:

Just saw Mad Max: Fury Road for the first time (I have absolutely no prior knowledge of the Mad Max universe).

I friggin' loved it!

Exactly my experience

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I had heard a lot of speculation from Miller about planned sequels, but I guess he went the other direction.  Unfortunate, but maybe it is better if Fury Road is a one time thing, separate from the rest of the franchise.  I can't imagine sequels having the same punch.

I thought he had already written a Furiosa spinoff and the next Hardy-Max adventure.  Maybe he'll let someone else direct those scripts?

7 minutes ago, Taikomochi said:

I thought I had heard a lot of speculation from Miller about planned sequels, but I guess he went the other direction.  Unfortunate, but maybe it is better if Fury Road is a one time thing, separate from the rest of the franchise.  I can't imagine sequels having the same punch.

We got a great film. I'm content!