Michael Giacchino's War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Max

I legitimately like Giacchino's early stuff A LOT - but something happened after he worked on Lost where his orchestrations became annoyingly simple? Or lacking in some sort of orchestral building somehow. A perfect example is Speed Racer, which has these incredible moments of melody and ideas - but lack because they're lacking in either counterpoint or harmony.

His Star Trek stuff (which I'm not a fan of at all) also sounds a bit too much like late Horner to me. Jupiter Ascending was a few steps in the right direction.

His Apes score wasn't bad but I don't remember a damn thing about it (or the movie) either.

• 1 year later...

I actually think this could be a good score.  While I felt the Rise score was overlong, with many cues not doing much for me, the ones with the good themes were great, and if those are embellished here with some new ones we could have a more focused and pretty kick ass war / action score

• 3 months later...

War for the Planet of the Apes begins recording tomorrow!!

This is probably my most anticipated 2017 score from Giacchino. I can't wait to hear him build upon his themes from Dawn (which I listened to earlier today) and to hear what new themes he's written!

Hmmm I dunno; I liked the Dawn score too, and look forward to War, but I think I'm much more excited to see what Book of Henry is all about, and his Spider-man score might harken back to his more fun older scores instead of the more serious ones he's had to do lately.  I mean, Doctor Strange is a comic book movie but the score doesn't really contain a lot of fun or whimsy at all

Really?! It looks to me that War For The Planet Of The Apes will suffer from 'the third movie syndrome*'. 

* It all goes to crap

PS: It even features a cute Dakota Fanning clone (most likely a link to Spielberg's War Of The Worlds)

The film looks like a piece of art. I'm sure you could freeze frame many shots from the film and hang it up on the wall. I get chills watching those effect shots from Dawn, and I'm sure this will even exceed that. Looking forward to the score greatly. Big fan of Doyle's Rise and Giacchino's Dawn scores. And will be happy to hear Giacchino's minimalist and tribal approach carry over from Dawn into War.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Well, looks like they took this score seriously...

Here you go. Some people enjoy their jobs.

Screenshot_2017-04-01-10-17-09-1.png

I'm not one to comment on something with only shit to say, but good grief, why is there another one of these movies?   I know no one wants to have their own ideas, but this is one of the worst things to keep milking.  Grimy, dark, and Super Serious contemporary cinematic trash, all of them.  There should never have been anything beyond the very fine original. 

1) They make money.

2) Some people enjoy them.

3) They are good films which are reviewed highly.

4) They are stunning shows of what CGI can achieve. And they use it for storytelling, not 2 hours of explosions.

5) They advance film-making technology.

With today's blockbuster, you are lucky to get one of those things.

I haven't seen any of these films. 

War looks solid from the teaser. Sounds like a Michael Crichton story, which I always love (albeit without the awesome lengthy philosophical/scientific discussion in a Crichton book, I presume). 

3 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I'm not one to comment on something with only shit to say, but good grief, why is there another one of these movies?   I know no one wants to have their own ideas, but this is one of the worst things to keep milking.  Grimy, dark, and Super Serious contemporary cinematic trash, all of them.  There should never have been anything beyond the very fine original. 

Much like Jurassic Park, this is one of those series where literally only the original film is worth a damn.  No sequels should have been made in either case.

EDIT: I assumed by "very fine original" you mean the 1968 film, but I now realize you could have meant the 2009 reboot since it's the "original" in this current series.  I meant the '68 should never have gotten any sequels including the modern series.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Only the Chuck Heston one is worthwhile!

Yep.  And yes Disco Stu, that's the one I meant.  Certainly not the 2009 installment.  Hell, the original sequels are watchable for how bad they are.  These new ones are just soulless blockbuster crap to me.

And no composer likely to work on these films, least of all Giacchino, will ever approach this!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Much like Jurassic Park, this is one of those series where literally only the original film is worth a damn.  No sequels should have been made in either case.

TLW isn't a good sum of its parts, but compared to the films that followed it has some outstanding moments.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

EDIT: I assumed by "very fine original" you mean the 1968 film, but I now realize you could have meant the 2009 reboot since it's the "original" in this current series.  I meant the '68 should never have gotten any sequels including the modern series.

Why? I enjoy the sequels.

"I don't like the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy or any of its music, so I'll make sure to go on the specific thread that talks about those things to tell everyone how much I don't like them."

Congratulations. Go and watch those films then, and we'll enjoy the new ones and their music.

I think I gave both movies a 7/10. For modern blockbusters, I find they surprisingly entertaining. Not that the leave a deep imprint in the mind ...

I guess the haters are more into the new Star Warses, right?

8 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

"I don't like the new Planet of the Apes Trilogy or any of its music, so I'll make sure to go on the specific thread that talks about those things to tell everyone how much I don't like them."

Congratulations. Go and watch those films then, and we'll enjoy the new ones and their music.

I see you're still the most delicate flower of JWFan.  Fret not.  The beauty of this forum is that you can say what you want just as I can. So go ahead and talk about these terrible films and scores to put some distance between my horribly dissenting posts and sweet, sweet comfort. 

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

So go ahead and talk about these terrible films

Yes...such terrible films. How will they ever recover from such scathing reviews. They could only wish for reviews like the original got...

Screenshot_2017-04-02-21-23-04-1.png

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

He's acting just like you did when me and KK were slightly critical about Interstellar!

At least you two are relevant members of the community.

2 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

At least you two are relevant members of the community.

Have you ever posted anything relevant? Can't say I recall a single one of your posts. 

Anyway, this is about discussing Giacchino and his upcoming score for War of the Planet of the Apes, not a measuring competition. If you do not wish to discuss Giacchino or his upcoming score for this film, then perhaps this thread isn't for you. If you read the title, you will see that is the case. :) 

I don't understand all the aggression in this thread... seems to happen in every Giacchino thread!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't understand all the aggression in this thread... seems to happen in every Giacchino thread!

This has more to do with Leeallen and TGP getting a bit bitchy when their heroes aren't being acknowledged than with Gia.

Both have been known to get a bit...prickly, at times

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This has more to do with Leeallen and TGP getting a bit bitchy when their heroes aren't being acknowledged than with Gia.

Both have been known to get a bit...prickly, at times

Funny how it's always Zimmerites and Giacchinotes. Goes to show healthy listening to these composers' music is...